Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Bellator season 9 review: What worked, what didn't and what to do next

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It was perhaps the most pivotal and controversial season in Bellator's history. From an ill-fated moved to pay-per-view to a run-in with their former (and now current) champion to record ratings and one of the year's best fights, Bellator had quite a ride in season 9.

I've watched all the events. I even attended one of them. We've read all the interviews, seen all the sights, heard all the talk. In review of season 9, here's what worked, what didn't and an assessment of what's next...

Full Story

Post #1   11/25/13 9:17:29AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-43

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,344-866
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I really enjoyed this season! A lot of great fights

Post #2   11/25/13 11:43:06AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,147-613
Chips:
I hope Bellator sticks to allowing the Tournament winners getting the next shot at the Title.

The instant rematches will take away from Bellators Tournament format. What's the point of a tourney if there are multiple fighters inactive in a weight group waiting for the log jam ahead of them to clear up. The whole idea of a log jam in Bellator doesn't even sound right or sit right with me.

On a different note the HW tourney will be getting a few new names in the tourney, which should spice things up nicely.

Post #3   11/25/13 12:49:49PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,202-1,233
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think the article is mostly right-on. I enjoy Bellator more and more, especially the tournaments.

Post #4   11/25/13 1:01:56PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,162-1,476
Chips:
Personally I wish Zuffa would buy Bellator already. You know damn well they will in due time. It would be great to see all of their talent assimilated into the UFC ranks.

Post #5   11/25/13 1:09:25PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,315-754
Chips:
I also enjoyed this season. Didn't get to catch as much of it as I wanted because of work though.
It'll be nice to see some new guys who are hot prospects in title fights like Ill Will and Brennan Ward. It will also be interesting to see if Kongo can win the title and if Warren can take out Dantas.

Post #6   11/25/13 1:10:42PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,419-820
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Personally I wish Zuffa would buy Bellator already. You know damn well they will in due time. It would be great to see all of their talent assimilated into the UFC ranks.

I think the opposite.

Post #7   11/25/13 1:24:05PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Chips:
Good read, Bellator needs to keep the tournament format and stick to it in my opinion. Curran should be back into the regular season...Ortiz is a wash completely and I'd like to see Rampage in the tourney as well. That is what I think all Bellator new joins rate?

Post #8   11/25/13 6:22:53PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by Sir_Karl

I think the opposite.

You think Bellator will buy the UFC? Or that's what you want to happen?

I don't think either is very likely. Zuffa sure won't be selling any time soon and I don't think Viacom is at the point where they're giving up either.

The only thing I can see happening that would lead to either being sold is Bellator trying to hold another PPV. I think that would be disastrous for Viacom/Bellator.

Post #9   11/25/13 8:28:43PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,113-786
Chips:
BFC's first full year on Spike cannot be called anything other then a resounding success. I'm glad for that. The world of MMA is 100x better when their are multiple big promotions putting on fights.

Post #10   11/26/13 11:39:25AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Resistance is futile. Prepare for assimilation.

I like the tournament format and having an event every Friday for a few months ina row. I'd like to see them stay on their own.

Post #11   11/26/13 11:42:02AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,419-820
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by Sir_Karl

I think the opposite.

You think Bellator will buy the UFC? Or that's what you want to happen?

I don't think either is very likely. Zuffa sure won't be selling any time soon and I don't think Viacom is at the point where they're giving up either.

The only thing I can see happening that would lead to either being sold is Bellator trying to hold another PPV. I think that would be disastrous for Viacom/Bellator.

My bad, all I meant was I hope UFC doesn't scoop up Bellator. UFC already has too many fighters. I remember a time when I knew damn near everyone on the UFC roster and now I feel clueless. It's hard to build big names when they do 14 TUFs a year on 5 different continents.

In addition, I liked SF and WEC more before they were absorbed. SF was violent as hell. Diaz was my favorite champion and the smaller cage lead to more finishes in the WEC.

As much as I like the idea of seeing Chandler and Alvarez in the UFC I like what Bellator is doing and hope they hang around longer.

Post #12   11/26/13 12:25:21PM