Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Do these rematches play big part Iin deciding whos GOAT #1 or 2?

Print  
Posted By Message

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
We cant not mention Fedor he always has a case but whether you consider GSP and Anderson fighting for #1 or 2 do you think these rematches could be a deciding factor?

I think they do imo. If GSP were to beat Hendricks more convincingly and Silva lost to Weidman again id say theirs no doubt GSP is no doubt GOAT #2 if not #1 depending where you have Fedor. If Hendricks took his head off and Anderson redeemed himself by KOing Weidman id give Anderson the edge.

What are your thoughts?

Post #1   11/20/13 5:48:28PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I said when Silva was fighting Weidman he was fighting for not only the P4P GOAT but also fighting to secure that legacy for years to come.

An undefeated, NCAA D1 Wrestler with crisp striking, who trains pure BJJ with top tier BJJ coaches, trains with a top camp with awesome trainers and gameplanners.

This was everything Silva needed. The ideal guy who had all the credentials to take Silva down, and good enough grappling to not get caught in a submission. He might not have had a tonne of experience and he might not have even had 10 fights but he was on paper everything fighters in the future will be.

Silva's dominance grew when Wrestlers lacked BJJ, or BJJ guys lacked wrestling, in the future these types of fighters will decrease.

This is why when Silva stepped into the cage he was fighting for his legacy. In 20 years time when the champion graces the octagon to defend his title we will be saying could he have beaten Silva? And if Silva had beaten Weidman I'd have said hell no.

Weidman was that new breed fighter and Silva didn't beat him.

That said Silva can rectify his mistakes, if he goes into the octagon lands a quick knee to the solar plexus sends Weidman crashing down it can be documented he controls his own fate, and he underestimated one opponent.
If the fight is close then maybe Silva isn't the P4P best fighter, as I said before, he did fight guys with wholes in their games.

I think in the current world of MMA we think that all these guys from the past are the shit, when in reality they all were in there primes when the MMA scene was very new and as a result there opponents were not perfect and were all beatable.

I haven't got into my opinion to too much here but I will quickly pop down my current thoughts on the GOAT list, please if you want me to elobrate let me know and I shall.

1. GSP
2. Silva (unless he gets the uncontested win over Weidman which would put him at N1)
3. Fedor
4. Jose Aldo
5. Jon Jones
6. Renan Barao (N3 with a win over Dominick Cruz - In 31 fights he has shown 0 weaknesses. Let's not forget in the P4P debate, A lightweight having KO Power means a fucking tonne)

Last edited 11/20/13 6:52PM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #2   11/20/13 6:49:04PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,775-1,119
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
All that didn't come into play in the 2nd Rd of that fight. Weidman wrestling was no where to be found. So was the bjj. It was clear Silva was a better striker. Silva fucked around too much in that fight and got caught like a mother fucker. If the 2nd fight goes the same way as the first did with less Silva fucking around Silva will and is going to win the rematch.

During their runs Silva won in exciting fashion way more than gsp also threw in the greatest comeback in ufc history.

This is my Bias opinion and I'm sticking to it!

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   11/20/13 7:55:30PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Great question, but in my opinion the results of the rematches do not matter. I understand and I am impressed by GSP's utter domination of his division. However Silva has done that to his division as well, and nothing smells dominated like getting tapped or knocked out. Finishes matter to me, and these guys have a massive finishing percentage difference. Also, Silva has crushed a couple of guys who had big names, one a former champion, in the division above his own. That's a GOAT.

Post #4   11/20/13 9:49:54PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

All that didn't come into play in the 2nd Rd of that fight. Weidman wrestling was no where to be found. So was the bjj. It was clear Silva was a better striker. Silva fucked around too much in that fight and got caught like a mother fucker. If the 2nd fight goes the same way as the first did with less Silva fucking around Silva will and is going to win the rematch.

Weidman attempted ONE takedown and then KTFO Silva. The round lasted 1:18. Biased or not, how can you say his wrestling was nowhere to be found?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #5   11/21/13 10:55:51AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
In my eyes Jones and gsp lost
Even though they won. I think that
Jose aldo is the true pound for pound king.

Undefeated in the wec and UFC for fuck sake.
And how many combine title defenses now.

Give the underrated champ his do

Post #6   11/21/13 5:17:44PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

In my eyes Jones and gsp lost
Even though they won. I think that
Jose aldo is the true pound for pound king.

Undefeated in the wec and UFC for fuck sake.
And how many combine title defenses now.

Give the underrated champ his do

He definitely has a strong case for P4P #1 but this is talking about Greatest Of All Time (GOAT) I mean the sport isyoung but GSP and Andsrson are obviously fighting for it right now

Post #7   11/22/13 4:39:13AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
IMO GSP Anderson and Tank are the only ones who could be considered GOAT.

GSP wins by patriotism and hes consistently fucked up the most consistently skilled guys in his division

Post #8   11/22/13 5:59:25AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Chips:
Tank freakin abbot!

Still think hes an underrated win on Belforts resume because he was the fn man back then!

Post #9   11/23/13 5:30:23AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think if Gsp can win a rematch legitimately, he can surpass Andy if Andy loses. If Andy wins or Gsp loses, Andy stays p4p king.

Both fought the toughest style matchup imaginable, and both were decisively beaten in the majority of fans eyes while the minority disagrees about the validity of the loss. To me theyre in the same place they were before the fights.

Aldo #1

Jones lost

Palhares did nothing wrong.

Post #10   11/25/13 7:50:45PM