Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White: “GSP Has to Defend the Belt or Retire”

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,837-1,058
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I usually agree with Dana's point of view relating to business decisions or at the very least I can understand his point of view. This whole defend the title immediately or retire from the sport ultimatum is asinine. What's wrong with the man forfeiting the title, taking the time off to get his problems sorted out, then returning as a challenger? Am I missing something? Nobody is saying you have to leave the title on him like the fucked up Cruz situation.

Post #16   11/20/13 3:04:31AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by TheShaman

This is an insensitive and inconsiderate approach. Wouldn't this just add to the stress that is already causing GSP to crack?

From what I'm witnessing all over the web, the majority of fans are wishing GSP the best, declaring his achievements, and calling for him to retire on top. Dana isn't making any friends with this stance. He may get serious backlash if he keeps it up, more than just the usual criticism.

He can't retire on top any more, he lost and he knows it.

Post #17   11/20/13 4:28:40AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I agree with Dana here. GSP is the reigning champ and if he doesn't want to defend his title - then by all means relinquish it and if that means retire, then oh well...otherwise, the division will be in limbo.

GSP is not bound by anything in this matter. He has the choice to continue fighting or retire. Taking a break due to personal reasons means GSP will be off the roster which means he is technically retired and in turn means he should have to relinquish the title.

Post #18   11/20/13 11:22:29AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I love how everyone assumes GSP will be gone for years. The earliest this rematch can take place is July since Hendricks has a 6 month suspension + training camp. There is a shitload of time for GSP to get his shit sorted out and fight again within a calendar year, especially when there still is only 1 legitimate contender

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #19   11/20/13 11:35:51AM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,009-1,021
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Dana's worst fear is that GSP retire on top without losing the title, because anybody beating GSP would automatically be catapulted as the guy who beat the best WW ever and will become a superstar with big ppv potentiel.
If GSP leave on top, dana will lose his vache a lait and it may take a wild before another fighter replace him.

Post #20   11/20/13 11:52:26AM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,209-849
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Typical White garbage. The guy gives zero shits about anything unless that thing is his pocket book.

Post #21   11/20/13 11:57:24AM   

traveller77

MMA Regular

traveller77 Avatar

Career:971-479
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I agree with Dana here. GSP is the reigning champ and if he doesn't want to defend his title - then by all means relinquish it and if that means retire, then oh well...otherwise, the division will be in limbo.

GSP is not bound by anything in this matter. He has the choice to continue fighting or retire. Taking a break due to personal reasons means GSP will be off the roster which means he is technically retired and in turn means he should have to relinquish the title.

Taking a break for personal reasons doesnt mean he is off the roster and technically retired. Do you think White would have a problem if Chael wanted 6 months off? Should he be released and ridiculed because he needs a break after driving hard for the company for over a decade. Get a grip

Post #22   11/20/13 1:36:38PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by traveler77

Posted by KungFuMaster

Taking a break for personal reasons doesnt mean he is off the roster and technically retired. Do you think White would have a problem if Chael wanted 6 months off? Should he be released and ridiculed because he needs a break after driving hard for the company for over a decade. Get a grip

I've already answered this in another thread.

If GSP simply came out and said I want 6 months off until my next fight, I don't think the ufc or anyone would have a problem with it. GSP is talking about hanging up his gloves indefinitely and what that means is his return is uncertain. The proper thing GSP needs to do here is - be clear to the ufc what his intentions are. If GSP's intentions are unclear, the ufc would have no choice but to move forward and moving forward means to continue as if there is no more GSP.

I think you and others who share your view are not with-holding GSP to the same standards as all other ufc fighters. If anything, you should hold GSP to a higher standard.

The welter weight division is at a critical point and for a champion of that weight class to just pack up and leave 'indefinitely' - is unbecoming of a ufc fighter/employee. Everyday folks like you and I have to continue working no matter what personal stress levels we may acquire. Are you telling me GSP is incompetent and requires special treatment?

Post #23   11/20/13 2:14:03PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Dana's worst fear is that GSP retire on top without losing the title, because anybody beating GSP would automatically be catapulted as the guy who beat the best WW ever and will become a superstar with big ppv potentiel.
If GSP leave on top, dana will lose his vache a lait and it may take a wild before another fighter replace him.

Vache a lait? Cow with the cream?

Post #24   11/20/13 2:50:38PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by tuvok500

Vache a lait? Cow with the cream?

lol

Cash machine with 2 sugars and cream if you like !

Post #25   11/20/13 3:04:54PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by traveler77

Posted by KungFuMaster

If GSP simply came out and said I want 6 months off until my next fight, I don't think the ufc or anyone would have a problem with it. GSP is talking about hanging up his gloves indefinitely and what that means is his return is uncertain. The proper thing GSP needs to do here is - be clear to the ufc what his intentions are. If GSP's intentions are unclear, the ufc would have no choice but to move forward and moving forward means to continue as if there is no more GSP.

I think you and others who share your view are not with-holding GSP to the same standards as all other ufc fighters. If anything, you should hold GSP to a higher standard.

The welter weight division is at a critical point and for a champion of that weight class to just pack up and leave 'indefinitely' - is unbecoming of a ufc fighter/employee. Everyday folks like you and I have to continue working no matter what personal stress levels we may acquire. Are you telling me GSP is incompetent and requires special treatment?

Just the same treatment as any other champ would have got witch is a talk face to face in private before dumping shit on you live in front of million.

Post #26   11/20/13 3:09:56PM   

TheShaman

MMA Regular

Career:480-329
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Just the same treatment as any other champ would have got witch is a talk face to face in private before dumping shit on you live in front of million.

I came across an article that pointed out how Dana said all those things at the press conference, then GSP walks in and praises the very man who was just bashing him behind his back.

Post #27   11/20/13 7:25:57PM   

tuvok500

tuvok500 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by TheShaman

Posted by tuvok500

I came across an article that pointed out how Dana said all those things at the press conference, then GSP walks in and praises the very man who was just bashing him behind his back.

Yeah, Dana was sure GSP was not going to come to the press conference, normally if you go to the hospital you dont comeback so soon unless it is just for some little stitches.

GSP was classy and respectful as always, those things should be resolved in private and probably already resolved, i hope Dana apologized and was feeling cheap for some days.

Post #28   11/20/13 8:24:53PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by traveler77

Posted by KungFuMaster

At my place of employment we can request time off if dealing with personal matters that are affecting our quality of work

Post #29   11/20/13 8:49:18PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by traveler77

Posted by KungFuMaster

I totally agree but that's not really what we're talking about. A championship fight just happened which resulted in a controversial decision and now the champ wants to hang his gloves up 'indefinitely' and, in doing so, leaves the welter weight division at a crossroad. If GSP had won convincingly, there is no doubt in my mind his request for an extended break would have been granted. GSP's fight with Hendricks is not over and it won't be resolved until the rematch takes place. I know it's not GSP's fault but it's definitely bad timing for the request. Shit happens but we deal with it. GSP can deal with it. It's called life.

Post #30   11/20/13 10:12:03PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3