Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should Hendricks get an immediate rematch?

Print  
rematch?
Yes it was a close fight. 7 18%
NO HE LOST he should have to win a time or two. 4 10%
Yes Hendricks won the fight anyway 13 33%
Yes because Chael (before suspension) was getting a remtach after being submitted 1 3%
No because Melendez/Gus didnt get rematches. 5 13%
dont care 9 23%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:779-547
Camp: TKO
Chips:
thought Hendricks won. I am a Hendricks fan. So I might be blinded by that. It is a possibility. But, Hendricks deserves a rematch and if GSP does want time off then I say Hendricks-Lawler.

Post #16   11/19/13 9:56:45AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
For:
Penn vs Edgar 2
Edgar vs Maynard 3
Bendo vs Edgar 2
Machida vs Shogun 2
note: All prior to 2013

Against:
Gus vs Jones
Gil vs Bendo
note: both in 2013

Hard to say if there truly is a precedent since, once again, it is arbitrarily decided when a rematch is "deserved" bby the powers that be.

I voted yes, but not just because it was close, but because we wouldn't have a log jam if there was a rematch. Of course it is sounding like a year at least before GSP gets back in the cage, if at all, so I don't even think an "immediate" rematch is possible. It may behoove Hendricks to stay active, lest Dana opt to just skip the rematch should the time come.

Post #17   11/19/13 10:51:29AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,771-1,522
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

aside superficial marks, which don't tell much...

"The guy hits like a truck. My brain got bashed left and right inside of my skull. My right eye became blurry, and it's still blurry right now. He punched very hard. He's the hardest puncher I’ve seen. He hit like a truck. I was hurt. I’m not an egomaniac. I say it when I’m hurt. I’m hurt. He hurt me tonight. Look at me."

Pretty sure Hendricks left some marks on him we can't see.

That doesn't change the fact St Pierre walked away with the victory and in my opinion rightfully so.

That would be fine, if 90% of the MMA community didn't disagree with yours and the 'judges' opinion.

Hendricks got robbed; Melendez got robbed, Gus got robbed and Machida got robbed. the UFC need to change something if they want to keep the sport honest.

In no fuckin way was Hendricks Gustafsson or Melendez ROBBED. They were all in very competitive close title fights which they ended up losing narrowly

ROBBED is what they did to Dolloway against Boetsch just my 2 cents

Imo if a fighter deserved to win, and the judges fucked it up, it's a robbery. I Wouldnt be saying boo if it were just my opinion, I'd just think I was biased. But almost every fighter and MMA personality also thinks the same.

and yeah I agree, Dolloway was robbed too, and I picked Boetsch. (I hope that clarifies for you, Webbie)

In my opinion the only time a fight should be considered robbery is when the entire planet agrees.

Hence why I brought up Dolloway you wont find even one person who says Boetsch won, so to me thats a robbery.

Post #18   11/19/13 11:00:35AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I answered the poll with "No, he needs to win another time" but that's not truly fitting of my opinion. In fact, I think Hendricks should challenge whoever the UFC puts in front of him for the vacant title since I feel that GSP ought to retire.
GSP is slipping, he should get out.

So maybe the UFC could do a little WW tourney, or simply match Hendricks against someone like Lawler who's got some decent wins.

Post #19   11/19/13 11:20:46AM   

TheShaman

MMA Regular

Career:480-329
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Me personally I'm done with immediate rematches. After seeing PPV buys and knowing immediate rematches don't sell and watching Gus/Jones not get the immediate rematch I'm done. I think all contenders if they walk out of the match without the belt should work there way back up, even if it is a win over a guy in the top 10 or someone undefeated or on a long UFC win streak.

It isn't a case of contenders not being out there. Robbie Lawler beat, 5-2 and top 10 ranked Josh Koscheck, Bobby Voelker who hadn't been finished in 5 years and 5-0 top 5 ranked Rory Mac.

If TJ Grants getting a title shot beating Shane Roller, Carlo Prater, Evan Dunham, Matt Wiman and top 5 ranked Gray Maynard.

What's the difference? TJ Grants been looking sharp since dropping weight?
So has Robbie making his WW run.

Carlos Condit people thought he beat Hendricks and he came closer to finishing GSP than Hendricks.
Matt Browns 6-0 with 5 finishes, heck Dan Hardy was 4-0 with 2 SD's and 1 finish when he was given a title fight.
Jake Shields won 2 rounds against GSP (48-47x2) the first guy in 31 rounds to so much as win one round against him.
Now Shields is 3-0-(1) with a top 5 win.

I am not saying these people would beat GSP or Hendricks, but just because they wouldn't be a heavy favourite going into a fight shouldn't mean you deny them of giving them the opportunity to fight.

Gus was a huge underdog walking down the octagon to fight Jones and he was the only guy who walked out of the arena.

In this day and age in MMA rematches slow a division down so much.

If GSP's stepping away for a bit and the UFC want Hendricks to still be the number one contender have him fight Jake Shields in the mean time.

We'll see how all this plays out, for all we know GSP could sort his stuff out next week and GSP could be ready to fight in 3 months, whilst Hendricks is out for 6 months injured.

A lot of good points in that post that could be applied to a number of issues

I didn't vote because "No, GSP should retire/take a break" wasn't an option. He clearly needs to do just as he said, and I hope he doesn't give in to Dana's pressure.

Post #20   11/19/13 11:34:42AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,821-1,143
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
No. He had his chance he didn't win.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #21   11/19/13 2:14:39PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

"The guy hits like a truck. My brain got bashed left and right inside of my skull. My right eye became blurry, and it's still blurry right now. He punched very hard. He's the hardest puncher I’ve seen. He hit like a truck. I was hurt. I’m not an egomaniac. I say it when I’m hurt. I’m hurt. He hurt me tonight. Look at me."

That doesn't change the fact St Pierre walked away with the victory and in my opinion rightfully so.

That would be fine, if 90% of the MMA community didn't disagree with yours and the 'judges' opinion.

Hendricks got robbed; Melendez got robbed, Gus got robbed and Machida got robbed. the UFC need to change something if they want to keep the sport honest.

In no fuckin way was Hendricks Gustafsson or Melendez ROBBED. They were all in very competitive close title fights which they ended up losing narrowly

Imo if a fighter deserved to win, and the judges fucked it up, it's a robbery. I Wouldnt be saying boo if it were just my opinion, I'd just think I was biased. But almost every fighter and MMA personality also thinks the same.

and yeah I agree, Dolloway was robbed too, and I picked Boetsch. (I hope that clarifies for you, Webbie)

In my opinion the only time a fight should be considered robbery is when the entire planet agrees.

Hence why I brought up Dolloway you wont find even one person who says Boetsch won, so to me thats a robbery.

There are a few blind mma fans out there who thinks Boetsch won, just like there are a few that think GSP won. Who gives a shit about the semantics of the term 'robbery'.

Post #22   11/19/13 5:51:02PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

There are a few blind mma fans out there who thinks Boetsch won, just like there are a few that think GSP won. Who gives a shit about the semantics of the term 'robbery'.

There's definitely a much larger amount of people saying GSP won than there are saying Boetsch won.

Also, if a person feels GSP won the fight, that doesn't make them a "blind MMA fan." Like I said before, your opinion is that Hendricks won, and you're entitled to that opinion. However, just because you believe that doesn't mean it's right. I could call you a blind MMA fan for thinking that Gus got robbed against Jones. Your opinion isn't any more valuable than anyone else's opinion.

Last edited 11/19/13 6:27PM server time by Webbie
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #23   11/19/13 6:12:07PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,159-691
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

There's definitely a much larger amount of people saying GSP won than there are saying Boetsch won.

Also, if a person feels GSP won the fight, that doesn't make them a "blind MMA fan." Like I said before, your opinion is that Hendricks won, and you're entitled to that opinion. However, just because you believe that doesn't mean it's right. I could call you a blind MMA fan for thinking that Gus got robbed against Jones. Your opinion isn't any more valuable than anyone else's opinion.

I don't know why you guys chose to pick Boetsch and Dolloway as an example of a robbery.

1/15 on Takedown attempts. 51 strikes vs 77 strikes. Striking accuracy 25% vs 39%

And your winner by unanimous decision.

Last edited 11/19/13 6:34PM server time by jjeans

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #24   11/19/13 6:25:21PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:
Aww, you quoted my post before I had the chance to edit it and tone it down a bit

Post #25   11/19/13 6:28:11PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,159-691
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Aww, you quoted my post before I had the chance to edit it and tone it down a bit

edited

i love you xx

Last edited 11/19/13 6:36PM server time by jjeans

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #26   11/19/13 6:34:52PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Webbie

edited

i love you xx

Right back atcha!

Post #27   11/19/13 7:01:32PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2