Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should Hendricks get an immediate rematch?

Print  
rematch?
Yes it was a close fight. 7 18%
NO HE LOST he should have to win a time or two. 4 10%
Yes Hendricks won the fight anyway 13 33%
Yes because Chael (before suspension) was getting a remtach after being submitted 1 3%
No because Melendez/Gus didnt get rematches. 5 13%
dont care 9 23%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:
Now i know GSP is "retired" "taking time off" or whatever, and Hendricks is "suspended 6 months" but still the question is here should Hendricks get an immediate rematch?

Personally i hate immediate rematches but this is one case i would be ok with him getting the rematch.

Post #1   11/18/13 9:35:59PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
No because Gus and Melendez didn't get rematches, and they had more clearly beaten the champion aside superficial marks, which don't tell much...unless you had to be carted off on a stretcher

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   11/18/13 9:46:01PM   

LooseCannon

Standup Guy

LooseCannon Avatar

Career:1,713-980
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Gus & Gil were close fights, but most of the media scored them losing as did I. The precedent is Shogun Rua who most everyone scored beating Lyoto Machida therefore he got an immediate rematch.

Post #3   11/18/13 9:47:27PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

aside superficial marks, which don't tell much...

"The guy hits like a truck. My brain got bashed left and right inside of my skull. My right eye became blurry, and it's still blurry right now. He punched very hard. He's the hardest puncher I’ve seen. He hit like a truck. I was hurt. I’m not an egomaniac. I say it when I’m hurt. I’m hurt. He hurt me tonight. Look at me."

Pretty sure Hendricks left some marks on him we can't see.

Post #4   11/18/13 10:08:18PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

"The guy hits like a truck. My brain got bashed left and right inside of my skull. My right eye became blurry, and it's still blurry right now. He punched very hard. He's the hardest puncher I’ve seen. He hit like a truck. I was hurt. I’m not an egomaniac. I say it when I’m hurt. I’m hurt. He hurt me tonight. Look at me."

That doesn't change the fact St Pierre walked away with the victory and in my opinion rightfully so.

Post #5   11/18/13 11:53:48PM   

JLS1980

Warren > Dantas

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,346-713
Chips:
I voted Yes it was a close fight. I'm not gonna get in to who won or which rounds were close because we've seen enough.

But Yeah I think Hendricks should get the next shot. That was "officially" the closest anyone has been in a long time.
And if you look at the next so many guys in line for the belt Hendricks has the best resume even after the loss to GSP.

We've got; Condit-He's 1-1 in his fights since getting shut out by Georges including a loss to Hendricks.

Lawler-He's on a nice 3 fight win streak and he really did shock me by beating MacDonald Saturday night.
A win over Voelker, and a win over Koscheck. All good wins but not quite enough to override Hendricks IMO. Although the MacDonald win did help his stock a ton.

Brown-I put him in next because if he beats Condit for some reason and especially if he scores a finish he will have just as good of a case if not better if you ask me. Currently riding a six fight win streak 2nd longest in the Division only behind GSP.
They might not all be the toughest competition but damn a 6 fight winning streak in this Division is impressive and the competition has gradually gotten better from Swick to Mein to Pyle and now Condit.

That's where I draw my line at current contenders in this Division.

Post #6   11/19/13 12:03:36AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

That doesn't change the fact St Pierre walked away with the victory and in my opinion rightfully so.

That would be fine, if 90% of the MMA community didn't disagree with yours and the 'judges' opinion.

Hendricks got robbed; Melendez got robbed, Gus got robbed and Machida got robbed. the UFC need to change something if they want to keep the sport honest.

Post #7   11/19/13 12:09:54AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
He deserves one but the more I think about it GSP should retire or I see Shogun vs Machida 2 version 2.0 with the hungrier Hendricks scoring a brutal finish after not getting the decision.

It seems like the fire is burning out of GSP I dont know if he could survive Hendricks one more time with his head not right. I would give GSP serious props and probably put him over Fedor and Anderson if he could get his head right and comeback and beat Hendricks convincingly.

Post #8   11/19/13 12:11:58AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

That would be fine, if 90% of the MMA community didn't disagree with yours and the 'judges' opinion.

Hendricks got robbed; Melendez got robbed, Gus got robbed and Machida got robbed. the UFC need to change something if they want to keep the sport honest.

In no fuckin way was Hendricks Gustafsson or Melendez ROBBED. They were all in very competitive close title fights which they ended up losing narrowly

ROBBED is what they did to Dolloway against Boetsch just my 2 cents

Post #9   11/19/13 2:56:46AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

It sounds like any decision that you don't agree with is a robbery.

Post #10   11/19/13 4:43:09AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Holy hell maybe its just im on boxing forums talking about mma mostly but even on mmawebsites I didnt hear no mention of that blatant robbery.

Dollaway whooped his ass Diaz brothers style for the first two rounds at worst it was a draw.

Post #11   11/19/13 4:53:30AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
Me personally I'm done with immediate rematches. After seeing PPV buys and knowing immediate rematches don't sell and watching Gus/Jones not get the immediate rematch I'm done. I think all contenders if they walk out of the match without the belt should work there way back up, even if it is a win over a guy in the top 10 or someone undefeated or on a long UFC win streak.

It isn't a case of contenders not being out there. Robbie Lawler beat, 5-2 and top 10 ranked Josh Koscheck, Bobby Voelker who hadn't been finished in 5 years and 5-0 top 5 ranked Rory Mac.

If TJ Grants getting a title shot beating Shane Roller, Carlo Prater, Evan Dunham, Matt Wiman and top 5 ranked Gray Maynard.

What's the difference? TJ Grants been looking sharp since dropping weight?
So has Robbie making his WW run.

Carlos Condit people thought he beat Hendricks and he came closer to finishing GSP than Hendricks.
Matt Browns 6-0 with 5 finishes, heck Dan Hardy was 4-0 with 2 SD's and 1 finish when he was given a title fight.
Jake Shields won 2 rounds against GSP (48-47x2) the first guy in 31 rounds to so much as win one round against him.
Now Shields is 3-0-(1) with a top 5 win.

I am not saying these people would beat GSP or Hendricks, but just because they wouldn't be a heavy favourite going into a fight shouldn't mean you deny them of giving them the opportunity to fight.

Gus was a huge underdog walking down the octagon to fight Jones and he was the only guy who walked out of the arena.

In this day and age in MMA rematches slow a division down so much.

If GSP's stepping away for a bit and the UFC want Hendricks to still be the number one contender have him fight Jake Shields in the mean time.

We'll see how all this plays out, for all we know GSP could sort his stuff out next week and GSP could be ready to fight in 3 months, whilst Hendricks is out for 6 months injured.

Last edited 11/19/13 5:23AM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #12   11/19/13 5:21:17AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by infestructure

Posted by sparky

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Bubbles

In no fuckin way was Hendricks Gustafsson or Melendez ROBBED. They were all in very competitive close title fights which they ended up losing narrowly

Imo if a fighter deserved to win, and the judges fucked it up, it's a robbery. I Wouldnt be saying boo if it were just my opinion, I'd just think I was biased. But almost every fighter and MMA personality also thinks the same.

and yeah I agree, Dolloway was robbed too, and I picked Boetsch. (I hope that clarifies for you, Webbie)

Last edited 11/19/13 6:16AM server time by infestructure
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   11/19/13 6:14:50AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
lol... that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said.

I was just pointing out that your opinion is your opinion, and not everyone agrees with that. So you may consider it a robbery, but not everyone does.

Not everyone believes Melendez or Machida got robbed, and even fewer people believe Gus got robbed.

Personally I think it's crazy that anyone feels Gus got robbed, so that just tells you how different opinions can be.

Post #14   11/19/13 6:53:53AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Yes. The belt should already be around his waist.

Post #15   11/19/13 9:16:37AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2