Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Okay, seriously... 700 people think Okami will beat Franklin?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
This is all just a warm-up for the rematch with Anderson Silva. You know that, right? (Yes, Marquardt is screwed too, but I'll save that thread for later.)

See, I have a special camera that takes photos from the future...

You'll notice that Yushin looks unhappy. Very, very unhappy. That's because Rich is beating him senseless. It's understandable. I know I would be unhappy if Rich were beating me senseless.

Post #1   6/15/07 2:37:42PM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I am one of those 700 that picked Okami

I think Rich wasn't as good as everyone thought

Post #2   6/15/07 2:40:04PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I just think that Okami is really underrated... I know he's getting the shot at Rick (and probably a #1 contender spot), but after all he is the fill in, what I mean is he wasn't the first choice...

I picked him because it is the year of the upset, and I wanted to get a bunch of cash down on something with decent odds for the last event... Anyways, I don't think that Yushin will win persay, but I didn't think Diaz, Hendo, Rampage, Gonzaga, Couture, Serra, or Sokodjou would be getting W's in their fights either... So I guess I'll take my chances

Post #3   6/15/07 2:41:48PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
four out of the last four main events have been upsets. Okami is a tricky match up for Franklin. That might be enough for me to bet on the underdog. I have wagered all my money on Okami. I like Okami and would be happy if he got a rematch with Silva.

Post #4   6/15/07 2:43:29PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by thepunisher

I think Rich wasn't as good as everyone thought

Silly rabbit.

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I just think that Okami is really underrated...

He is, I agree. I went against my gut and picked Swick and felt like a moron.

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I picked him because it is the year of the upset[...] I don't think that Yushin will win persay[...] I'll take my chances

I actually wondered if this might be true for a lot of folks.

Post #5   6/15/07 2:45:56PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
I think we will see Franklin win. People say Okami style is bad for Franklin... I don't get that.. I think it's perfect cause I doubt Okami can overpower Franklin. Franklin is a heck of alot bigger/stronger then the other guys Okami fought, I've also notice Okami seems to get gas pretty quickly also.

I think Franklin will take it in the later rounds due to conditioning, and I just feel Okami's style isn't at a big advantage vs Franklin. We will all find out soon though! :)

No disrespect to Okami though he is a great fighter, and I can't say I would be too shocked if he won. I am pulling for Franklin though.

Last edited 6/15/07 2:52PM server time by shackle
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   6/15/07 2:50:46PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:

Posted by shackle

I think we will see Franklin win. People say Okami style is bad for Franklin... I don't get that.. I think it's perfect cause I doubt Okami can overpower Franklin. Franklin is a heck of alot bigger/stronger then the other guys Okami fought, I've also notice Okami seems to get gas pretty quickly also.

I think Franklin will take it in the later rounds due to conditioning, and I just feel Okami's style isn't at a advantage very Franklin. We will all find out soon! :)

No disrespect to Okami though he is a great fighter, and I can't say I would be too shocked if he won. I am pulling for Franklin though.

I think Rich's biggest advantage is his strength and Okami might be able to take that away. Okami is strong and Rich will not be ready to fighting a strong opponent like him. The argument could be made on the other side as well. I think this fight is more even then the odds. That’s why I like Okami

Post #7   6/15/07 2:56:09PM   

DangerousDjohn

MMA Regular

Career:448-248
Chips:
I picked Okami to win, because I think Franklin will take him too lightly like he did Anderson. I wan't Rich to win, but I have my money on Okami.

Post #8   6/15/07 3:09:55PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,795-1,540
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Franklin won't be able to handle Okami's strength on the inside.

Post #9   6/15/07 3:27:42PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

Rich is a BIG middleweight and can easily overpower Okami with his size and strength so if this fight gets to the ground either Rick will work his way back to his feet and KO Okami or find a dominant position and pound Okami until the ref steps in

Post #10   6/15/07 4:05:37PM   

drew

Learning to Sprawl

drew Avatar

Career:331-172
Chips:
It's a hard pick but I think it boils down to Okami's ability to take Franklin down. He can pound out a win if he puts Franklin on his back. He's also pretty evasive on his feet and doesn't engage much.. I just think Franklin's aggressive striking/takedown defense will get him a KO/TKO. Okami was rocked by Swick. Franklin should be able to finish him

One thing to note that Kenny Florian pointed out on MMAweekly radio is that all of Franklin's losses have come from left handed fighters, and Okami is one. Who knows what that's worth though

Post #11   6/15/07 4:26:04PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by papercut

Posted by tepid55

Rich is a BIG middleweight and can easily overpower Okami with his size and strength so if this fight gets to the ground either Rick will work his way back to his feet and KO Okami or find a dominant position and pound Okami until the ref steps in

I think Okami is very deceptively strong... He has awesome core strength where a lot of his TD's come from, and seems to really helps his control when in top position... While Rich may look like the bigger dude, that doesn't always mean that he's the stronger... I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Post #12   6/15/07 4:26:49PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,409-867
Chips:
I'm one of the 700... this has been the year of the upset, I imaginate that Okami is almost as physically strong as Franklin, and Franklin's aggression plays into Okami's role as a counterpuncher / non-offensive fighter. I would not be suprised AT ALL if Franklin mopped the floor with him, but my gut told me to pick Okami, and I obeyed.

Post #13   6/15/07 4:46:31PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
The thing I don't get is the reason why so many people are picking Okami. Most say "It's the year of upsets" or something along these lines and to me this makes no sense. I just don't see why your reason for picking the guy who you would normally say would lose is because others have overcome the odds. Don't get me wrong, Okami could potentially win because he is a skilled fighter and Franklin is may be a tiny bit overrated but to pick him because you think he would normally lose is just plain idiotic IMO.

Post #14   6/15/07 4:59:58PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by papercut

Posted by tepid55

Being "BIG" has nothing to do with being strong and being able to hold his own with Okami....Anderson Silva wasnt bigger than Franklin,and he was tossing him around like a ragdoll........Karo Parisyan for example...Joe Rogan always comments on how Physically strong Karo is compared to other fighters his size...Same with Couture,and Sylvia.........Being big and strong is one this,but being big,strong,and an experienced grappler is an other...and that is Okami.......If Okami get ahold of Rich,you will see the difference.

I still have Franklin winning in the late rounds via TKO GnP or Decision due to Okami's conditioning....i still think Okami will take the 1st round and Franklin taking over in a good fight.

really see it like a 60/40 in favor of Franklin

Post #15   6/15/07 5:01:18PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2