Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Georges St-Pierre Walks Away After UFC 167, but Falls Short of Calling it Retirement

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The greatest UFC welterweight champion in history, Georges St-Pierre, on Saturday night decided enough was enough, and hung up his gloves for the final time.

Link

Last edited 11/17/13 1:48AM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/17/13 1:43:00AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
This just in - - - George Split-Decision Pierre signs five year contract to play an extra on THE WALKING DEAD...the casting director says his face is (P)erfect....no makeup needed

Post #2   11/17/13 2:10:25AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Here's my piece - and I might get slammed for this.

I'm not mad at GSP. At all.

I totally get Dana's point that there's obligation to the company, the competition, and the fans to either keep defending the title or relinquish the belt. I think that's the exact line that needs to come from the organization, at least right now.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that GSP's post-fight announcement was all good. It's easily the strangest thing he's ever done, possibly the biggest MMA story of the year (though my money's on TRT or women's MMA), and maybe following the robbery of the year (so far, though the 1st round was actually pretty close on paper).

I'm also not going to say that GSP hasn't had it good. Financially, he's in a place where even most champions won't reach, because they don't have the length of his reign or the breadth of his endorsements. Dana's 100% correct in that GSP could retire tomorrow and live the rest of his life a wealthy man.

With that said, I can't think of 10 guys who've done for the UFC what GSP has done. He's always fought when and who was scheduled, always showed up in great shape, and has only once shown up unprepared. On top of that, he's been the best overall representative the sport's ever had. Jon Jones? Some are put off by his perceived pretentiousness. Ronda Rousey? Her stock's plummeted with TUF. Cain Velasquez? Amazing fighter and super polite, but not reliable for a sound byte. Kind of like Fedor. And so on.

No other champion has the consistency, the charisma, and the professionalism that GSP's shown to this point, and I think that should count for something.

On top of that, this article from MMA Junkie indicates like this is much, much more than fight fatigue or contract equity. If there's some sort of mental illness here, or some broader issue at play, I think the best course is to give the man some time and support.

So what should all this count for, exactly? Off the top of my head, GSP gets 1 year. Exactly 365 days to take care of his personal business, get his mind right, then return and defend the belt. In the meantime, Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler get a 5 round interim title fight. Whoever wins get championship money and a unification bout - or the belt defaulted to them if GSP doesn't come back in time.

It's not perfect, right, like it's not without its holes - the least of which is a possibly dangerous precedent. Where's the line drawn for another champion to be eligible for this? Is this a one time deal, not only for GSP but for everyone? Does Dominick Cruz get grandfathered in to this as well, or does Dana uphold the prior deal (fight Barao by spring or forfeit the belt)? It's something that merits more thought than the few minutes I put into an idea.

There is a certainty in all of this - one night just made the welterweight division a lot more interesting.

Last edited 11/17/13 4:34AM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a
5 total post edits

Post #3   11/17/13 4:14:55AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
When the going gets tough just quit and avoid a rematch.

Post #4   11/17/13 7:49:07AM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,837-1,058
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If he knows he won't defend the belt for more than a year then he should forfeit the title. As far as stepping away from the sport for personal reasons, that's his right and his decision. I wish him well and hope he gets his life in order as well as rediscover his passion for mma.

Post #5   11/17/13 8:56:08AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dana sucks as a person

I would never ever ask a employee of mine who needs time off to handle with some issues that obviously is big to stay on and work. I would tell them to take what ever time needed

Post #6   11/17/13 11:28:21AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,045-608
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I am going to preface that I am a big GSP fan boy. That said I have watched the fight twice and although close, I still give it to GSP 3-2.

Regardless, if GSP does retire, it is out of fatigue and not fear of a rematch. GSP if afraid of no man.

If he does retire, all I can say it that it has been an honor and pleasure watching that man fight. He is one of, if not the, greatest fighter of all time.

Post #7   11/17/13 2:12:16PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
Can chael send Johny his belt because i think after their respective performances he deserves it. No offense to chael but rashad looked as good as we've seen him. Training with Vitor good for both of them

Post #8   11/17/13 2:21:45PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
Battle Royale at 170! 30 WW's enter the octagon only one leaves.

Post #9   11/17/13 5:22:40PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
GSP BITCHES! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Post #10   11/17/13 6:09:45PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

I am going to preface that I am a big GSP fan boy. That said I have watched the fight twice and although close, I still give it to GSP 3-2.

Regardless, if GSP does retire, it is out of fatigue and not fear of a rematch. GSP if afraid of no man.

If he does retire, all I can say it that it has been an honor and pleasure watching that man fight. He is one of, if not the, greatest fighter of all time.

I scored it exactly the same way.

So many are acting like there's no way GSP could've won the decision, but to me it's all about the first round, and I thought GSP won it.

Rounds 3 and 5 were no doubt his, and 2 and 4 were clearly Hendricks.

I also completely agree about GSP being fatigued. The man is tired. I believe a hungry GSP would've made it a more one-sided fight. He needs time off.

When they were at striking range GSP was outstriking Hendricks the entire time other than the brief moment in round 2 when he got rocked. He should've avoided all grappling/clinching for the first two rounds IMO.

Post #11   11/17/13 6:15:06PM   

TheShaman

MMA Regular

Career:480-329
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
It's almost as if Dana is hording fighters... keeping them until they are beaten out of the sport, leaching as much money/events out of them as he can instead of letting them quit while they're ahead and with their spirit still intact.

GSP should relinquish the belt and go out sitting on his thrown instead of carried on his shield. How many favorite fighters have we watched go downhill, wishing they could leave on a high note (not that GSP is on the decline. That's my point).

He should move on to the next chapter of his life and leave Dana having a fit. His fans will still be there. I hope Dana doesn't talk him into staying if he really doesn't want to be there. I hope GSP wins one last fight... against Dana's persuasion.

Post #12   11/17/13 6:59:51PM