Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GSP surpasses Silva, breaking multiple records with win Saturday

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

#1 most important thing in any sport = winning. Unless of course MMA is not a sport and just sports entertainment

GSP gets a lot of shit for not finishing, which I don't necessarily disagree with, but I think he makes up for it in sheer dominance. How many other fighters won 33 straight rounds before finally losing one? After he lost those two rounds to Shields (no idea how the judges gave Shields the fourth round) he hasn't lost a round since, even when he got dropped with the head kick by Condit he came back and won the round.

How many other fighters can say they've won every single round against every opponent they've ever faced other than two rounds, the other being the first round against BJ in their first fight? None. Not Anderson Silva, not Jon Jones, not anyone. GSP is the only one who has been as dominant as he has been, even though he hasn't been finishing his opponents for years now.

So yeah, at the end of the day it's all a matter of personal opinion and preference.

Post #16   11/13/13 6:20:05PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:382-218
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Posted by Bubbles

#1 most important thing in any sport = winning. Unless of course MMA is not a sport and just sports entertainment

GSP gets a lot of shit for not finishing, which I don't necessarily disagree with, but I think he makes up for it in sheer dominance. How many other fighters won 33 straight rounds before finally losing one? After he lost those two rounds to Shields (no idea how the judges gave Shields the fourth round) he hasn't lost a round since, even when he got dropped with the head kick by Condit he came back and won the round.

How many other fighters can say they've won every single round against every opponent they've ever faced other than two rounds, the other being the first round against BJ in their first fight? None. Not Anderson Silva, not Jon Jones, not anyone. GSP is the only one who has been as dominant as he has been, even though he hasn't been finishing his opponents for years now.

So yeah, at the end of the day it's all a matter of personal opinion and preference.

Could not agree with you more. GSP dominates everybody he faces, yet because of the lack of finishes, he gets so much hate.

Post #17   11/13/13 9:59:13PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,260-1,272
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
MMA fans are fickle..we get bored with St. Pierre because he hasn't finished anyone in 6 fights and we celebrate guys like Hendricks who have a couple dominant knockouts in their recent fight history.

If you actually look at their records, they have extremely similar rates of finishing fights, with GSP's being slightly higher despite facing the far better competition of the 2.

All GSP really needs to do to silence his critics is finish a fight, there will still be many that want to see him lose (which is natural for a long serving champ) but a lot of the complaints about his style of fighting would go away.

Post #18   11/13/13 10:23:33PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
20th win on the 20 year anniversary show? Thatd be cool but I want Johnny to knock his head into the second row

Post #19   11/14/13 12:30:38AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Posted by pmoney

Yeah I don't know how the fuck they get that title defense number.

GSP has been in 13 UFC title fights. Two he outright lost, which puts him at 11 victories, not defenses.

"The most prestigious IMO is title bout wins. Currently tied between St-Pierre and Silva at 11, GSP has a chance to surpass the current GOAT with a possible 12th title bout victory."

The text in the original post is wrong for some reason. I'm not sure if jjeans edited it himself, thinking that it said title defenses, but clearly it says "title bout wins" when you click the link.

Nope. They must have edited the article then because it actually said title defenses.

Posted by tcunningham

GSP's lack of finishes will always be his enemy. the guy is an amazing athlete, but i'll argue that matt hughes was the greatest WW champ of all time. he might have lost the record to GSP, but his fights were so exciting and he was such a beast in his prime, he was a big reason i watched UFC during that time. I never got tired of hughes' fights but GSP's have gotten way to boring for me. anymore i just watch them in hopes that he gets KTFO. WAR HENDRICKS!!!

I agree with this.

Hughes was much more dominant. He crushed the guys he fought. Also, by the time GSP beat him Hughes was already past his prime.

Post #20   11/14/13 11:39:38AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
Shit. Had I realized this was on the second page I wouldn't have replied. My bad.

Last edited 11/15/13 9:33PM server time by Webbie
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #21   11/15/13 5:39:35PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,838-1,586
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Someone else may have said this, but is anyone else blown away that BJ has this record?

Post #22   11/16/13 8:36:45PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Chips:
The record setting win feels a little like Michael Strahan getting the sack record, no?

Post #23   11/17/13 2:03:23AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
Silva's wins were mostly decisive murders with the decisions being obvious.

Post #24   11/18/13 7:13:29PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,260-1,272
Chips:

Posted by Goatenstein

Silva's wins were mostly decisive murders with the decisions being obvious.

GSP has had only 1 decision that wasn't obvious and has lost fewer rounds than Silva over his streak despite fighting more of them.

Anderson definitely has the better finishes of the 2 but he's also fought in a weaker division.

I'm not sure why one streak really needs to be compared to the other though. They are both, along with Jon Jones the best fighters in UFC history and both streaks are equally impressive.

Post #25   11/18/13 7:50:31PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2