Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Michelle Ould upset she can't wear white pride bra

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by NE-1

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by BigBadAl

Brown Pride is pro brown and White Pride is pro white. Both separate humans based on skin colour. I don't see the difference and I think they are both negative statements.

Nice funbags!

Brown Pride and Black Pride are both "defensive" statements. Both groups slogans are about overcoming oppression from white people. They are essentially saying Brown/black people deserve to be as proud of themselves as white people.

White people have never been repressed in North America. When "White Pride" is used its generally used as an "aggressive" statement by groups claiming superiority over other races on the basis of being white.

I find this to be quite the double standard. You should be able to be proud of your heritage, regardless of a history of opression. If she were hispanic and wanted something on her sports bra to reflect that there qould be an uproar about the violation of her rights.

Well there was a time that we got to own them, should they see it as a double standard that they didn't get to own white people in return?

Louis CK can explain why you can't ignore historical context better and much funnier than I.

Video

Skip to 1:26 if you want to skip the unrelated parts.

Last edited 10/29/13 10:36PM server time by FlashyG
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   10/29/13 10:35:55PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,331-1,251
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #17   10/30/13 12:12:59AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

Posted by Lungsofsteel

She should fight with no bra.

yes ban the bra!

I'm in favor

Post #18   10/30/13 12:14:38AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by BigBadAl

Brown Pride is pro brown and White Pride is pro white. Both separate humans based on skin colour. I don't see the difference and I think they are both negative statements.

Nice funbags!

Brown Pride and Black Pride are both "defensive" statements. Both groups slogans are about overcoming oppression from white people. They are essentially saying Brown/black people deserve to be as proud of themselves as white people.

White people have never been repressed in North America. When "White Pride" is used its generally used as an "aggressive" statement by groups claiming superiority over other races on the basis of being white.

I've never oppressed anyone. Why can't I have white pride? Because you say so?

Post #19   10/30/13 7:11:09AM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Career:1,959-1,060
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Being a tribal member I have Native Pride tattood on my forearm. The only thing it means to me is I have pride for my tribe and being Native American. I don't think history or oppression has anything to do with not being able to wear White Pride. I think every race has the right to be proud of who or what they are. Unfortunately due to the history of white supremists White Pride can be seen as something negative. If anyone is to blame it's racist white supremists like skinheads, nazi's etc. It's not fair but that's reality!!! I'm also irish, scottish and french. If I were to get an Irish Pride tat no one would say anything so it's not like you can't be proud of who you are and show it.

Post #20   10/30/13 9:49:32AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Chips:

Posted by Chieftan1997

Being a tribal member I have Native Pride tattood on my forearm. The only thing it means to me is I have pride for my tribe and being Native American. I don't think history or oppression has anything to do with not being able to wear White Pride. I think every race has the right to be proud of who or what they are. Unfortunately due to the history of white supremists White Pride can be seen as something negative. If anyone is to blame it's racist white supremists like skinheads, nazi's etc. It's not fair but that's reality!!! I'm also irish, scottish and french. If I were to get an Irish Pride tat no one would say anything so it's not like you can't be proud of who you are and show it.

Unfortunately I'm both White and of German ancestry, so no "Pride" tattoos for me.

Post #21   10/30/13 10:13:03AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Well there was a time that we got to own them, should they see it as a double standard that they didn't get to own white people in return?

Louis CK can explain why you can't ignore historical context better and much funnier than I.

Video

Skip to 1:26 if you want to skip the unrelated parts.

I'll watch it on my lunch break. Lol I'm not sure we're comparing apples to apples here. I understand the historical stigma associated with white pride. But it won't be moved away from until people attempt to redefine it. Use it in a different context

Post #22   10/30/13 10:46:35AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I can only wish Bellator will let her wear it. Maybe that will remind us a thing or two and help spark a better tomorrow.

Post #23   10/30/13 11:26:24AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by isk

I don't think that's as representative as a so-called American apologist stance as much as it's political and historical awareness. Ould might have the best of intentions with this, really, but the term has so many negative connotations at the moment that it's inappropriate for a UFC event. I hear the term and think of lynchings, burning crosses, and other generally hateful and oppressive acts. That's the last thing I want associated with the UFC, since it has challenges enough with the zeitgeist of its core content.

Checking one's privilege (especially if one is a white male, I sure am) isn't simply "bleeding heart liberalism", and I think it's reductive to call it that. Not saying anyone in this thread has, yet. No, to me I think it's a sign of human decency, and a mark of a healthy, enlightened society. Matters like this should be questioned and debated.

Also, mods, if this is getting too off topic, please let me know directly. I do think this is a thing worth talking about, but this might not be the place for it.

I hate the term 'check your privilege'. We are all fucking humans, why the fuck should I check my privilege? I was lucky enough to be put in a big dicked white and rich 'privileged' life, and heaps of those around me weren't. Everyone has hardship relative to their lives. Check your privilege is the EXCUSE of those hard done by.

If you need to tell people to check their privilege, you need to have a good long look at your own life, and stop judging others.

I'm not sure if you were in support of this phrase Isk, but if you were, you need to ignore your privilege.

Post #24   10/30/13 6:18:11PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Chips:
When I think white pride
I think of Aryan brotherhood

Post #25   10/31/13 1:00:45AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,989-1,158
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

At first glance i thought it meant a white PRIDE bra, Like a PRIDE FC bra with their white and black logo.

Last edited 10/31/13 8:10AM server time by iwannabesedated

Post #26   10/31/13 8:10:49AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by isk

I don't think that's as representative as a so-called American apologist stance as much as it's political and historical awareness. Ould might have the best of intentions with this, really, but the term has so many negative connotations at the moment that it's inappropriate for a UFC event. I hear the term and think of lynchings, burning crosses, and other generally hateful and oppressive acts. That's the last thing I want associated with the UFC, since it has challenges enough with the zeitgeist of its core content.

Checking one's privilege (especially if one is a white male, I sure am) isn't simply "bleeding heart liberalism", and I think it's reductive to call it that. Not saying anyone in this thread has, yet. No, to me I think it's a sign of human decency, and a mark of a healthy, enlightened society. Matters like this should be questioned and debated.

Also, mods, if this is getting too off topic, please let me know directly. I do think this is a thing worth talking about, but this might not be the place for it.

I hate the term 'check your privilege'. We are all fucking humans, why the fuck should I check my privilege? I was lucky enough to be put in a big dicked white and rich 'privileged' life, and heaps of those around me weren't. Everyone has hardship relative to their lives. Check your privilege is the EXCUSE of those hard done by.

If you need to tell people to check their privilege, you need to have a good long look at your own life, and stop judging others.

I'm not sure if you were in support of this phrase Isk, but if you were, you need to ignore your privilege.

I don't think its about feeling bad about your privileges.

Its just about recognizing that many of the good things you have in life, and the opportunities you have, have been granted to you through pure luck. Thinking that way gives you a different outlook on life.

If you've got a good job, an education, a happy family, a nice house, ect. you probably are a reasonably hard working person with a bit of brains. But you could have been just as smart and motivated, but with a different racial background, and your life would be a lot harder.

Post #27   10/31/13 10:42:09AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by infestructure

Posted by isk

I don't think its about feeling bad about your privileges.

Its just about recognizing that many of the good things you have in life, and the opportunities you have, have been granted to you through pure luck. Thinking that way gives you a different outlook on life.

If you've got a good job, an education, a happy family, a nice house, ect. you probably are a reasonably hard working person with a bit of brains. But you could have been just as smart and motivated, but with a different racial background, and your life would be a lot harder.

Its just about recognizing that many of the good things you have in life, and the opportunities you have, have been granted to you through pure luck

That kinda still sounds like I'm supposed to feel bad about my privilege. Why the fuck should I take into account that there are people less lucky than me? Or that I'm more lucky? I only get to experience one life through one body and its all relative, I'm not gonna waste one second thinking about those more or less fortunate than me and whether it's due to luck or not.

Again, I say check your privilege is the excuse of those who need to excuse their adequacy/inadequacy

Last edited 10/31/13 4:29PM server time by infestructure
2 total post edits

Post #28   10/31/13 3:48:22PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Honestly... no thanks

Post #29   10/31/13 4:36:31PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
It kind of seems to me like the point fell on deaf ears so to speak. It doesn't sound to me like an argument that says, 'I should be able to wear a white pride symbol." It seems much more to be an argument that says, "In the name of equality and fairness if all people are not allowed the same expressive rights then all people should be denied those specific right uniformly." "Brown Pride" where I'm from is associated with gang activity. I'd venture to say that my first reaction to Cain's tattoo was skewed based on what I misinterpreted to be a national organization. If you want more info just google Brown Pride gang.

I would also say that such a reaction was warranted toward his tattoo based on the logic that says people of other races should be offended by a "white pride" tattoo. It is the contention that, based on any individual's life experiences, he or she will develop an understanding of a specific symbol/word/style, and based on that understanding make the assumption that the person using or wearing the controversial thing is a believer in whatever negative (or potentially positive) understanding that the perception dictates. I.E. to me Brown Pride equals gang activity therefore Cain Velasquez endorses gang activity. In my opinion I think many of you have hit the nail on the head in pointing out that we all have the right to take pride in our heritage, but it is significantly important in today's civilized society to express that pride in a manner that does not demean those who have other heritages. I personally think that goes for Ms. Ould here and for Mr. Velasquez.

Post #30   10/31/13 6:39:45PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3