Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anyone else see Machida's Head kick coming ...

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
Hey guys,

Just wondered if anyone on this site called Machida's Head kick on Munoz before it happened.

I was sat there watching Machida's movement in the fight, As soon as the fight started, Machida was pushing his knee out faking kicks from the off set. As soon as he started to throw leg kicks, then half way through the round came up and delivered a body kick, i turned to my Bro who was watching the event with me and told him i can see a head kick coming next. Sure enough, just after i called it, Machida's leg went up high and connected round the back of Munoz head. Job Done.

I'm sure there's a few more of you out there that called it too.

Cheers

Post #1   10/29/13 11:52:56AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Camera angle was kind of weird at that moment, but he has two completely different skill sets depending on if he's southpaw or orthodox. South paw is his kicking stance, so head kicks always come from there.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #2   10/29/13 12:08:23PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
my dad told me the outcome of the fight before i saw it, but when i actually went and watched it, i noticed munoz dropping his right hand when machida was fainting. plus, machida is great at making it look like he's going to kick to the led and turn his hip and go to the head. munoz looked outclassed

Post #3   10/29/13 1:39:51PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm one to fall for a few conspiracies.

I think Munoz was so fearful of Machida's striking, he knew engaging too long in the striking exchanges would cost him dearly. And as a result of that he mentally lost the fight so any light strike that landed would massively effect him and that's what happened.

That said I can see the argument for that being a work. I know this thread is not about that and I am not agreeing, or disgreeing with that opinion, but I can see the argument for it.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #4   10/29/13 2:39:30PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
No, my friends were about to get in a fight with some random people

Post #5   10/29/13 2:42:07PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I saw him kicking the head shots. I thought about it.
Couldnt believe a partial blocked head kick took out Munoz machida should have dropped a year ago

Post #6   10/29/13 2:53:40PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
People that think that strike wouldn't drop you don't understand the mechanics of it. Your hand next to your head with that arm structure would do basically nothing to stop a head kick. Unless Munoz is made of steel, it would take only a little pressure to force his hand inward and the kick would be unimpeded. There's simply too much energy behind a rear leg head kick to block it with a half-ass block.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #7   10/29/13 3:35:49PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

People that think that strike wouldn't drop you don't understand the mechanics of it. Your hand next to your head with that arm structure would do basically nothing to stop a head kick. Unless Munoz is made of steel, it would take only a little pressure to force his hand inward and the kick would be unimpeded. There's simply too much energy behind a rear leg head kick to block it with a half-ass block.

I've eaten headkicks and I'm sure you have too whilst training MMA. Admittedly I am not getting kicked in the head by Machida but the force that strike would land going through a hand and not landing cleaning, it looked like the majority of the foot hit Munoz's hand and very little of his foot connected with Munoz and if it did it was neither the temple or the chin.

Infact watching GIF you can see the foot shake upon hitting the glove meaning the rest of the power was momentum. Seeing some fighters take headkicks without a guard and still able to remain standing.

I am not saying there aren't contributing factors. You can clearly see Munoz leaning into the kick and Munoz has been knocked out twice. Rewatching the Weidman GIF you can see the elbow didn't require much force, plus Munoz was once again going into it and didn't see it coming.

Again, this is not my feeling just an opinion I can see an argument for.

My opinion is that Munoz knew training everyday with Machida who the better fighter was and he was scared. He got caught with something and in his head he thought this is gonna hurt and as a result he did.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #8   10/29/13 3:52:24PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Someone is sounding like KFM up in here.

Post #9   10/29/13 4:04:29PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Don't forget that Munoz, while blocking that direction, elected to lean into the kick for some reason. I also think there was plenty of force to put Munoz down for good.

Post #10   10/29/13 4:15:18PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
I saw the hard body kick land from Machida, and then he faked one more and Munoz dropped his hand. Right then I said out loud "he's going to kick him in the head." Thirty seconds later the head kick landed. Unfortunately the only person who happened to witness it with me at the time was my mother.

But yeah, I saw it coming.

Post #11   10/29/13 4:16:45PM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

I saw him kicking the head shots. I thought about it.
Couldnt believe a partial blocked head kick took out Munoz machida should have dropped a year ago

You have a point.

I'm not so sure this fight was a fix, but it did seem like a partially blocked Head Kick that was blocked by Munoz hands took the sting out of the kick on his arms. But the other angle showed his foot catch Munoz round the back of his head. Almost his toes were what impacted his head, Machida must have toes like rocks or something.

Over all, i was disappointed with that card. Machida vs Munoz saved it at the end.

Post #12   10/29/13 5:44:59PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:986-629
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

my dad told me the outcome of the fight before i saw it, but when i actually went and watched it, i noticed munoz dropping his right hand when machida was fainting. plus, machida is great at making it look like he's going to kick to the led and turn his hip and go to the head. munoz looked outclassed

He was landing those body kicks he threw. Definitely set him up. Seen it with leg kicks as well in other fights.

Last edited 10/29/13 5:54PM server time by Lungsofsteel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   10/29/13 5:53:10PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 37-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,532-977
Chips:
I'm just glad the Dragon went in there & ended it quick. A lot of these fighter friends spar for 3 rounds, call it a fight & hug at the end.

Post #14   10/29/13 6:46:04PM   

NikkiNeversleep

MMA Regular

NikkiNeversleep Avatar

Career:134-107
Chips:
Not at the time honestly. But after rewatching it, I have no idea how I didn't

Post #15   10/30/13 3:33:44AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2