Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White: UFC 166 main event winner will be the best heavyweight in UFC history

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by TheCatFather

Posted by tepid55

If Fedor was still in his prime, I think he would beat Velasquez and Dos Santos, but I think Velasquez would be the tougher fight.

Fedor Record

I checked his record and he really just beat a bunch of washed up Heavyweights, a few middleweights and Nog. In all Honesty, Hendo, Bigfoot and Werdum are in his top ten as far as fighters go and he lost to all 3. I will say it here JDS and Cain would of ended Fedors career in his "PRIME".

I just really wanted to use this gif. I'm pretty far from a Fedor fan or lover but imo saying he isn't the greatest hw of all time is pretty mind boggling. In the future I definitely see Cain surpassing him but at this point no way. And I really hate this nonsense trying to compare fighters of then to fighters of now, you can't prove it either way so saying "Cain would beat prime Fedor" is a vacuous truth. It takes nothing to throw a hypothetical out there and claim it to be viable. For 8 years straight Fedor beat everyone, can we say the same for Cain?

Post #16   10/19/13 3:00:57PM   

TerrorofsesameST

MMA Regular

TerrorofsesameST Avatar

Career:875-578
Chips:
"If Brock Lesnar wins, he may go down as the greatest HW of all time." - Dana White pre UFC 100 hahahaha

Post #17   10/19/13 3:15:57PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
One thing I've learned about George is to never argue about Fedor with him.

Airkerma brings up a good point though. That's something we'll never know for sure. Sure Fedor beat a lot of guys that had no business fighting him but he didn't exactly have a ton of options in Pride. How do we know he wouldn't be doing the same thing over here in the ufc. During Fedor's prime the best heavyweights in the world are mostly on his resume. Sylvia was in his prime during Fedor's run, so was Arlovski, so was Cro Cop and so was Big Nog. Hell, Heath Herring was even a top 10 HW when Fedor beat the crap out of him. Say what you want about Fedor's resume. It was damn sure impressive while he was adding to it. The sport catches up with everyone, even legends.

Post #18   10/19/13 3:16:45PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
Fedor was great, but I think both would already beat him. Cain would take him down with ease and he would never get JDS down. I wouldn't say Fedor didn't have a chance. He had the power to KO Cain for sure. I would actually give him less of a chance vs JDS. JDS is too technical of a striker for him and not a mental midget like Cro Cop.

BTW I think they would both smash Couture and any other HW of that era too. I just think this generation is better than the last. Just like when Fedor and Couture's generation was better than their predecessors.

Last edited 10/19/13 3:22PM server time by lll-lll
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   10/19/13 3:20:36PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,612-939
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Why did we bring Fedor into this? He said best heavyweight in UFC history. Which is clearly accurate with whoever wins this fight.......Until they fight DC...

DC IS THE BLACK FEDOR

Post #20   10/19/13 3:28:11PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
Damn this is revisionist history at its finest. Dude this can be done with every fighter in history. Who did Anderson beat? Who did GSP beat? Fitch doesn't look so good now. WHat about Kos? Franklin anyone? Marquadt? This happens every generation in MMA. People begin discounting everyone previous fighters beat. Soon people will be discounting Shogun, Machida, and others that Jones has beaten. It is a retarded cycle. Fedor, like GSP, Anderson, Couture, Tito, and others beat most of the best guys at their time. Cro Cop was a beast back then, and Pride's HW division was stacked. Coleman and Randleman wwwere former UFC champions. Goodridge was a beast.

If you want to say JDS and Cain are better because of evolution of the sport (like I did in my previous post), then go ahead. Its a good point. But don't come with the revisionist crap. Fedor beat top guys. If we picked apart all the legend's records they would all look like bums.

Post #21   10/19/13 3:30:47PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Damn this is revisionist history at its finest. Dude this can be done with every fighter in history. Who did Anderson beat? Who did GSP beat? Fitch doesn't look so good now. WHat about Kos? Franklin anyone? Marquadt? This happens every generation in MMA. People begin discounting everyone previous fighters beat. Soon people will be discounting Shogun, Machida, and others that Jones has beaten. It is a retarded cycle. Fedor, like GSP, Anderson, Couture, Tito, and others beat most of the best guys at their time. Cro Cop was a beast back then, and Pride's HW division was stacked. Coleman and Randleman wwwere former UFC champions. Goodridge was a beast.

If you want to say JDS and Cain are better because of evolution of the sport (like I did in my previous post), then go ahead. Its a good point. But don't come with the revisionist crap. Fedor beat top guys. If we picked apart all the legend's records they would all look like bums.

That sir, was a prop worthy post

Post #22   10/19/13 3:32:59PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Yup. Looking BACK at a guys record always makes things look less impressive.

If for one think Fedor would have beat either JDS or Cain in his prime and I don't think either would have been an especially close fight. Prime Cro Cop was a more dangerous striker than JDS, in my opinion. Prime Randleman, and DEFINITELY prime Coleman, could wrestle just as well as Cain.

As to what Dana White said? I agree. Best HW in UFC history. Best HW in MMA history? Not a chance.

Whoever wins this fight will have beaten his best challenger and honestly I don't see any other current heavyweights offering them a serious challenge right now.

They simply cannot surpass Fedor because they won't be facing the same quality of competition.

Post #23   10/19/13 4:12:03PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Why did we bring Fedor into this? He said best heavyweight in UFC history. Which is clearly accurate with whoever wins this fight.

'Twas my fault. I very much regret even mentioning his name.

Worst part is I'm a huge Fedor fan.

Post #24   10/19/13 5:24:48PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,955-937
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
I guess whoever wins at 166 will be the best HW in UFC history...by a small margin. Who else is there that's even close? Randy? The UFC HW division didn't legitimately get going until like 2008, though. Before that it was weak enough that Tim Silvia dominated it.

As to the question of Fedor, let me start by saying that I was a huge fan of his. That being said, I don't think that even in his prime he could beat the current versions of Cain or JDS. Its just the simple matter of the overall quality of fighters improving over time. A prime Matt Hughes couldn't handle current GSP. A prime Chuck Liddell couldn't handle Jon Jones. And so on. I'd still say that until either JDS or Cain become dominant for a good number more years Fedor's legacy is still the all-time #1 HW MMA fighter.

Post #25   10/19/13 7:28:40PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,022-1,244
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
no Dana...no

Post #26   10/19/13 9:23:18PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow
. A prime Matt Hughes couldn't handle current GSP. A prime Chuck Liddell couldn't handle Jon Jones..

Prove it.

Post #27   10/20/13 12:10:01AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,955-937
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by OnyxShadow
. A prime Matt Hughes couldn't handle current GSP. A prime Chuck Liddell couldn't handle Jon Jones..

Prove it.

3x² - 27 .. 8x² ....... 6
----------- * -------- * ----------
.... 4 ...... 9 - 3x . x² + 3x

Now you can do some factoring and canceling:
3(x² - 9) .. 8x² ...... 6
.... 4 ..... 3(3 - x) . x(x + 3)

You can cancel the 4 with the 8, remove the 3's and the x's.
(x² - 9) .... 2x ........ 6
.... 1 ...... (3 - x) . (x + 3)

Now x²-9 is a difference of squares which can be rewritten as (x - 3)(x + 3):

(x-3)(x+3) .... 2x ........ 6
-------------- * -------- * ----------
....... 1 ...... (3 - x) . (x + 3)

Cancel the x+3:
(x - 3) .. 2x .... 6
------- * -------- * ---
...1 ... (3 - x) .. 1

Now notice if you factor out a -1, you have 3-x which will cancel:
-1 .. 2x .. 6
--- * ---- * ---
.1 ... 1 ... 1

Multiply across and you get:

GSP wins via UD 49-46

Post #28   10/20/13 12:26:29AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:
You forgot to carry the 7. Elementary mistake.

Post #29   10/20/13 2:11:47AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,884-1,626
Chips:

Posted by TheCatFather

Posted by tepid55

If Fedor was still in his prime, I think he would beat Velasquez and Dos Santos, but I think Velasquez would be the tougher fight.

Fedor Record

I checked his record and he really just beat a bunch of washed up Heavyweights, a few middleweights and Nog. In all Honesty, Hendo, Bigfoot and Werdum are in his top ten as far as fighters go and he lost to all 3. I will say it here JDS and Cain would of ended Fedors career in his "PRIME".

I've always said, the best way to judge a fighter's skill is to simply look at his record without even watching his fights or taking into account the concepts of age or circumstance.

Post #30   10/20/13 1:47:14PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4