Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MARIO SPERRY, RENZO GRACIE DEFEND RELEASED UFC FIGHTER ‘TOQUINHO’ PALHARES

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Last week, Brazilian Top Team coach and co-founder Murilo Bustamante told Fighters Only that Palhares had injured teammates in similar situations during training in the past. Former BTT coach Mario Sperry this week denied the statement.

“I don’t remember him hurting teammates in an intentional manner,” Sperry told Sherdog.com. “He hurt others and got hurt just like any other athlete. To tell you the truth, I remember seeing him hurt more than hurting others. I think he should have paid more attention to the reaction of his opponent and the referee. He also had several problems with athletes who tapped and continued after he released the submission hold without the referee interrupting. In my view, this can hamper your judgment on when to release the submission even more in the middle of a fight.”

But, even in defending Palhres, Sperry said he understood the position of the UFC and its, president Dana White.

“It’s a difficult position for Dana, as he has to manage the world’s largest MMA event,” said Sperry. “Making a realistic assessment with the events that happened in and after the fight, I’d fire him to show that where there’s excellence, there’s no room for mistakes. However, I would hire him back, because Toquinho is a great fighter for any event.”

Brazilian jiu-jitsu master Renzo Gracie also defended his countryman via Twitter on Monday.

“I just watch the fight and I have to reinforce it... He had no ill intent. His opponent went on the wrong direction,” Gracie wrote. “So, if there’s injury involved, it has more to do with the way his opponent try to get out than his intentions... We are in a fight business. If we will begin a witch hunt, the intensity of our sport will be gone. We are supposed to get hurt.”LINK

Post #1   10/18/13 1:11:06AM   

MIDDLEEASY

Learning to Sprawl

MIDDLEEASY Avatar

Career:8-6
Chips:
People are saying he should of let go as soon as Pierce tapped, I thought if you tapped it was to inform the ref that your done, it's not to let your opponent know your done, Say he let go after the first tap, Ref didnt see it and Pierce jumped on top and got a TKO finish??

Lol, ok everyone you can attack me now because you don't agree with my opinion.. Man this site needs some law again..

Post #2   10/18/13 4:22:31AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by MIDDLEEASY

People are saying he should of let go as soon as Pierce tapped, I thought if you tapped it was to inform the ref that your done, it's not to let your opponent know your done, Say he let go after the first tap, Ref didnt see it and Pierce jumped on top and got a TKO finish??

Lol, ok everyone you can attack me now because you don't agree with my opinion.. Man this site needs some law again..

No damnit, why are you not fucking getting this? He applied additional pressure *after* the ref called the fight. If the ref called it and palhares released then pierce started tkoing him then we would all be bitching about pierce being a douche lord. This is not a complicated concept.
And extra lol: again "joined 5/13"; 'boy I remember the good old days when this site had law...all them 5 months ago. I wish other people could remember how much better it was back then, back then, back then....'

I also like that renzo is ignoring that palhares ignored the rules. He did the same damned thing 2 years ago in abu dhabi to david avelan. The ref stopped the fight, palhares loosened the hold, then reapplied pressure again.

Last edited 10/18/13 7:08AM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/18/13 7:04:19AM   

MIDDLEEASY

Learning to Sprawl

MIDDLEEASY Avatar

Chips:
My old account was UFCBOSS....

Ive never really lest, I never caused trouble then, And dont and wont now... Me and hippysmacker butted heads and I got kicked, Ive always loved this site and I hate to see it the way it has gone, If you dont agree with me on that then you must be part of the cause.

Get off my back please, I am only speaking my opinion and RAAAAAA!! I know nothing!! I only joined in '13/05!!! RAAAA!!

lol, Im smiling the whole time while typing this, Ease up!

Last edited 10/18/13 8:41AM server time by MIDDLEEASY

Post #4   10/18/13 8:34:24AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,559-801
Chips:
MSG TO ALL MMA Playground users

MIDDLEEASY is a fucking TROLL please do not respond to him this will only encourage him to make stupid posts even more

Post #5   10/18/13 9:45:10AM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,374-939
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Do we really need a new thread every time someone decides to defend this guy. It's gonna be out of control soon and there will be like 4, maybe even 5, of these threads on the front page!

Post #6   10/18/13 12:42:53PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

Do we really need a new thread every time someone decides to defend this guy. It's gonna be out of control soon and there will be like 4, maybe even 5, of these threads on the front page!

Look on the bright side member participation is up

Post #7   10/18/13 3:04:56PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
This is getting pretty old.

At the end of the day Dana White did the right thing, and no matter how many people try to defend Palhares, he's already been cut and banned from the UFC whether you agree with it or disagree with it.

Thank you Dana White for having a brain.

Last edited 10/18/13 3:18PM server time by Webbie
3 total post edits

Post #8   10/18/13 3:09:16PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Chips:
There are only 2 people on this site defending Palhares from what I see...They are just very vocal about doing so.

I agree with Mario Sperry...The cut was absolutely justified, and if he can clean up his act in another organization I have no problem bringing him back in the future.

There needed to be a more significant punishment than not giving him a bonus and a token suspension that wouldn't even cost him a single fight. Clearly the first time they tried that he didn't get the message.

Post #9   10/18/13 3:43:01PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

MIDDLEEASY is a fucking TROLL please do not respond to him this will only encourage him to make stupid posts even more

I don't think he's a troll, he's just stating his opinion, and he kinda did get attacked for it in the other thread. Other opinions should be encouraged imo, it would be boring if we all agreed on things.

Post #10   10/18/13 6:49:27PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:2,001-1,351
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
I think his cut had a lot to do with his history. He doesn't listen very well and in the past he has committed the same mistake. For arguments sake lets say his intentions where not to hurt Pierce and he was honestly too stupid to know to break the hold, his prior actions would have caused the same outcome. Its one to many "coincidences" to just turn and look the other way. He was given too many chances. Babaloo got the axe after one time so Mr. Tree Trunk should be happy he was given a chance after the first time he slipped up. He is a good fighter and he will be back but for now he has to make his way back like everyone else.

Post #11   10/18/13 7:06:18PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:2,001-1,351
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

lol We don't have to agree with him but he should be entitled to post his opinion, and if he is a troll the mods will catch him soon enough take it from a guy who has been banned for 2 months and warned a few times.

OFF TOPIC:
Also, I notice that a bunch of guys have new accounts who have been booted. I thought they blocked your IP address? A few years ago a bunch of guys created new accounts to reset their overall percentages to boost their teams.

Post #12   10/18/13 7:11:09PM   

MIDDLEEASY

Learning to Sprawl

MIDDLEEASY Avatar

Chips:
Hell yeah I was attacked! And everytime I replied I call peace??

My opinion doesnt matter, We will never see him again.

I love it was my fellow Aussie you claims im the 'troll', Im a 30 year old dad who works fulltime and who has loved MMA for years, I have been on this site for 6 years and some posters now just cant accept other peoples posts without attacking them.

Last you will hear from me about this!

Post #13   10/18/13 9:56:49PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by MIDDLEEASY

Hell yeah I was attacked! And everytime I replied I call peace??

My opinion doesnt matter, We will never see him again.

I love it was my fellow Aussie you claims im the 'troll', Im a 30 year old dad who works fulltime and who has loved MMA for years, I have been on this site for 6 years and some posters now just cant accept other peoples posts without attacking them.

Last you will hear from me about this!

Who cares about other people. The quality of poster here is much higher than other sites. For some reason this Palhares issue has brought out some negativity from some posters, but you shouldn't let a few bad eggs spoil it for you. You never said anything derisive and you didn't deserve the backlash you got imo.

Post #14   10/18/13 10:33:50PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:749-413
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
RAAAAAA !! Gabe reudiger loves ice cream cake... You can agree with me or not but that is my opinion and I'm sticking with it !!

Post #15   10/19/13 12:50:49AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2