Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC boss downs Bellator's Ben Askren offer: They're playing f---ing games

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
HOUSTON – If Bellator MMA officials thought UFC President Dana White might have been intrigued by their latest offer in regards to Ben Askren, they would be wrong.

Link

Post #1   10/17/13 7:10:40PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:2,034-1,219
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

"When you're willing to let your f---ing champion go, it's weird," White said.

So If Bellator want to keep their fighters they're scum, if they let them go they're weird? Who`s playing f---ing games?

This Askren situation is interesting. Zuffa offered Lombard big money and they got him. They offered Eddie less, but also included potential future earnings should he do well. It went to court, Zuffa lost the injunction which lead to Eddie dropping the case and taking a different deal from Bellator instead.

Zuffa knows how Eddie's court case played out. The whole thing was covered extensively on various mma news sites.

The reason listed for Zuffa losing the injunction was, how can the judge know if Eddie will earn this potential money? How much success he'll have in the UFC is merely speculation.

UFC didn't get Eddie because they didn't guarantee him a title shot, (and because their ego lead them to overvalue their worth). They have a chance to fix that mistake here but they're not making the offer and instead accusing Bellator of playing games... why? They know how the judge ruled. Their lawyers were present at the hearing. They know a guaranteed title-shot will earn them Askren. Dana kept mentioning PPV % points and how Eddie is getting screwed over by Bellator for not getting PPV points, but he won`t guarantee Ben points either.

Do they really think Eddie is way better or more valuable than Askren?

Is Zuffa scared of what Askren might do? or don`t they care about Bellator fighters that much, and just want to make Bellator look like `scum` for trying to keep Eddie?

Last edited 10/17/13 9:53PM server time by bustamante-aoki
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/17/13 9:46:24PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,051-1,270
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
although he wins..I really don't care to watch him wrestle...or fight

Post #3   10/17/13 11:47:05PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,696-988
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

although he wins..I really don't care to watch him wrestle...or fight

I thought his last 2 fights were entertaining. I haven't seen anyone utilize the wrestling techniques he shows and find his transitions mesmerizing. I still don't know how he'll fare against fighters with greater TDD but am eager to see.

As for Ben's future. I imagine DW wants to see GSP defend his title against Hendrix before he grants Ben a shot.

Post #4   10/18/13 1:57:36AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,041-1,091
Chips:

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

So If Bellator want to keep their fighters they're scum, if they let them go they're weird? Who`s playing f---ing games?

This Askren situation is interesting. Zuffa offered Lombard big money and they got him. They offered Eddie less, but also included potential future earnings should he do well. It went to court, Zuffa lost the injunction which lead to Eddie dropping the case and taking a different deal from Bellator instead.

Zuffa knows how Eddie's court case played out. The whole thing was covered extensively on various mma news sites.

The reason listed for Zuffa losing the injunction was, how can the judge know if Eddie will earn this potential money? How much success he'll have in the UFC is merely speculation.

UFC didn't get Eddie because they didn't guarantee him a title shot, (and because their ego lead them to overvalue their worth). They have a chance to fix that mistake here but they're not making the offer and instead accusing Bellator of playing games... why? They know how the judge ruled. Their lawyers were present at the hearing. They know a guaranteed title-shot will earn them Askren. Dana kept mentioning PPV % points and how Eddie is getting screwed over by Bellator for not getting PPV points, but he won`t guarantee Ben points either.

Is Zuffa scared of what Askren might do? or don`t they care about Bellator fighters that much, and just want to make Bellator look like `scum` for trying to keep Eddie?

Could not disagree more. I don't think he's calling them scum for wanting to let him go its for trying to force their matchmaking. I just don't see where bellator gets off trying to force the ufc into giving Askren an immediate title shot, each company worry about their own matchmaking; seems fair enough.

Post #5   10/18/13 9:03:00AM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Could not disagree more. I don't think he's calling them scum for wanting to let him go its for trying to force their matchmaking. I just don't see where bellator gets off trying to force the ufc into giving Askren an immediate title shot, each company worry about their own matchmaking; seems fair enough.

Dana called them scum for trying to keep Eddie, not for wanting Ben to get a title shot.

Bellator isn't forcing UFC into anything. The outcome of the Eddie injunction showed that if UFC wants to beat Bellator at signing their fighters (when their contracts are up) then they have to either a) pay him more then Bellator can afford or b) guarantee him a title shot. Otherwise Bellator can match any contract and keep their fighters. UFC kind of messed up taking Eddie to court, and now the precedent for these court cases has been set.

Last edited 10/18/13 11:11AM server time by bustamante-aoki
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   10/18/13 11:09:29AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,041-1,091
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Dana called them scum for trying to keep Eddie, not for wanting Ben to get a title shot.

Bellator isn't forcing UFC into anything. The outcome of the Eddie injunction showed that if UFC wants to beat Bellator at signing their fighters (when their contracts are up) then they have to either a) pay him more then Bellator can afford or b) guarantee him a title shot. Otherwise Bellator can match any contract and keep their fighters. UFC kind of messed up taking Eddie to court, and now the precedent for these court cases has been set.

I was under the impression that he called them scum for forcing fighters to the sidelines and not letting them fight unless they caved and returned to Bellator. I could be wrong, and it sounds like Rebney is trying to force the ufc to grant Askren a title shot if he signs to the UFC. I personally want to see Ben fuck Bellator over and wait on the sidelines till July 31st 2014, just because Rebney's tactics have been rubbing me the wrong way. But you are right I might not have enough background knowledge on the court battles to fully understand the legal battles going on behind the scene.

Post #7   10/18/13 12:25:38PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by quezocrema0032

I was under the impression that he called them scum for forcing fighters to the sidelines and not letting them fight unless they caved and returned to Bellator. I could be wrong, and it sounds like Rebney is trying to force the ufc to grant Askren a title shot if he signs to the UFC. I personally want to see Ben fuck Bellator over and wait on the sidelines till July 31st 2014, just because Rebney's tactics have been rubbing me the wrong way. But you are right I might not have enough background knowledge on the court battles to fully understand the legal battles going on behind the scene.

No, I'm pretty sure you're right. Bellator has legitimately been acting like scumbags for a while now. He didn't call them scumbags for trying to keep Eddie. Not sure why you saw it like that B-A.

Post #8   10/18/13 1:08:40PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,374-939
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by quezocrema0032

No, I'm pretty sure you're right. Bellator has legitimately been acting like scumbags for a while now. He didn't call them scumbags for trying to keep Eddie. Not sure why you saw it like that B-A.

If BFC act like scumbags then Zuffa is like a sack of dead clams someone shat on.

Post #9   10/18/13 1:14:42PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC plays games too.

Dana you ain't no saint

Post #10   10/18/13 2:36:18PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Chips:
They just aren't going after him hard, he doesn't fight or have highlights or the notoriety to draw big PPV dollars. They aren't going to give him an immediate titles shot etc...tough shit!

Post #11   10/18/13 5:39:02PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Chips:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1754249-dana-white-bjorn-rebney-is-a-scumbag

"Bjorn Rebney is a scumbag," White said. "The guy says, 'yeah we are going to let him go and let's just part ways,' but you aren't parting ways with him. He has a matching right and all that bulls***. This guy is a f****** typical boxing piece of sh**.

He did say it about the Askren situation. I was wrong about that.

What's the difference between Bellator's matching rights, and UFC's champion's clause? Not much.

Eddie was probably a champ when he signed his contract.

Post #12   10/18/13 7:06:31PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:2,001-1,351
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
I don't even understand why Bellator doesn't just release the guy to fight wherever he wants already, I mean, so what if he gets a title shot or not just let him go smh I love how the fight game is controlled by guys that never even fought in an MMA bout lol Ben Askren vs. Condit get it done!!!!!!

Post #13   10/18/13 7:20:58PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Chips:

Posted by TheCatFather

I don't even understand why Bellator doesn't just release the guy to fight wherever he wants already, I mean, so what if he gets a title shot or not just let him go smh I love how the fight game is controlled by guys that never even fought in an MMA bout lol Ben Askren vs. Condit get it done!!!!!!

They're trying to get him a title shot, probably. Politics is a part of life and I doubt that will ever change. When the stakes are so high and so much money is involved, nothing is ever simple.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I guess It's still a little early to know exactly what both sides are up to. UFC still hasn't made him an offer. To me that says, either they don't want him, or they don't know what to offer, or they know the offer they want to make isn't good enough to get him. After the stink they put up about Eddie being on the sideline, they don't mind letting Ben wait for an offer, and apparently no one else does either, weird.

It seems like Zuffas not going to make a move. They're just going to wait to see what Bellator does next, which is nothing since they can't do anything until the matching period ends or UFC make an offer.

Bjorn got shit on royally for supposedly keeping Eddie on the sidelines (even though the judges disagreed he was the one responsible for holsing eddie back) but when UFC lets Ben sit while they twiddle their thumbs, no one cares.

There seems to be some serious differences in the way these two stories were covered by the media, and reacted to by the fans... Also interesting.

Post #14   10/18/13 8:57:09PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Chips:

Posted by TheCatFather

They're trying to get him a title shot, probably. Politics is a part of life and I doubt that will ever change. When the stakes are so high and so much money is involved, nothing is ever simple.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I guess It's still a little early to know exactly what both sides are up to. UFC still hasn't made him an offer. To me that says, either they don't want him, or they don't know what to offer, or they know the offer they want to make isn't good enough to get him. After the stink they put up about Eddie being on the sideline, they don't mind letting Ben wait for an offer, and apparently no one else does either, weird.

It seems like Zuffas not going to make a move. They're just going to wait to see what Bellator does next, which is nothing since they can't do anything until the matching period ends or UFC make an offer.

Bjorn got shit on royally for supposedly keeping Eddie on the sidelines (even though the judges disagreed he was the one responsible for holsing eddie back) but when UFC lets Ben sit while they twiddle their thumbs, no one cares.

There seems to be some serious differences in the way these two stories were covered by the media, and reacted to by the fans... Also interesting.

I don't think Bellator cares about Askren if he leaves...they want the guaranteed title shot because it legitimizes them as an organization having their title holder getting an immediate UFC title shot. Should the UFC bring him in and have him lose to a middle of the division fighter it reflects badly on them as an organization.

Both companies care more about their image than anything else.

Post #15   10/18/13 9:14:11PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2