Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Good times with customer service

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:872-548
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So, I just had the worst customer service experience ever. Let me preface what happened before I called them... I'm pretty low on funds, and on the 12th I decided to pay my power bill in advance of the auto-pay just to make sure I would be able to pay it on time. On the 15th, auto-pay kicks in and pays the $200 bill again even though the balance was $0 because I had just paid my bill. Fast forward to today. I check my bank account to see how much I have to spend on groceries. -$300. Thats a negative. Not only had the power company double-charged me, but the bank had issued 5 overdraft fees for things as little as a $0.75 parking meter payment.

So I call up the power company. I figure I'll call them then the bank then get my money back. The power company answers and I jokingly say man this is so ironic. I pay my bill early because I'm tight on money and it ends up with this fiasco. We exchange chuckles then she puts me on hold for 15 minutes. She comes back "...sir. I'm sorry but we won't be able to get this back to you until the weekend." I answer "Um... I can't accept that. I have a negative balance on my account because of this and I have to buy groceries and gas for my car tonight. I need the money now." Another 10-15 minutes on hold and I get transferred. This woman was so unbelievably un-sympathetic and condescending to me, it made me want to punch a hole in my wall. Saying things like "Sir... don't you know if you pay your bill before auto-pay its going to charge you twice?!" For a while I tried to stay calm with answers like "Well.. to be logical I thought that paying it would bring my account balance to 0, which would make the autopay pay off the remaining $0 on my balance." It wasn't until she interrupted me that I got really angry. She interrupted me once and that's when I lost it. Let's just say multiple C-words were uttered by me in a relatively loud and combative tone. The call was a giant fail, and I'm getting ready to go to the bank to see if they can help at all. I'm still pretty pissed and I'm not gonna lie, this has helped. I just feel robbed. They took money they had no right to take, and refuse to give it back until they feel like it. The bank too. FIVE $35 overdrafts?! Really?

Anyone else have any customer service nightmares? Having worked phones before, I don't feel proud about screaming at a customer service agent and whatnot.. but when she started interrupting me and talking to me like a child it really set me off. I don't know what I'm going to do for dinner tonight or gas to get to work tomorrow if the bank can't help me.. may have to beg a stranger in my apartment building for $10-20 which would definitely be a new low (even for me).

Glad to have a community of friends in times like these where it's hard not to feel like a lonely schmuck who just got robbed by two crooked ass corporations.

Post #1   10/16/13 5:48:05PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,209-849
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Comcast has given me the worst customer service. I think I posted about it in the lead up to the FS1 debut and the cable channel circus. They are terrible.

My cable box went out, broken hardware. Made an appointment to have it fixed? Kinda weird, why can't I get a replacement? They don't do that as a first option. I had to be home in a 4-hour window so that means I have to take an afternoon off of work to be there. I do, and nobody shows up. I get a call that evening saying there was a backup and we need to reschedule. We do, a week later, same 4-hour window, same time off of work, same no show by the technician. I call them up and ask what the deal is. There was never a second appointment scheduled I'm told, I'm also told I was a no show for the first appointment... da fuc? Their only resolution on this matter was to stand behind the claim of their shady technician and by doing so label me a liar in the whole situation. I was being charged for a service which I could not access and was operable due to faulty hardware for over two weeks and took the equivalent of a half day off of work on two occasions where Ii was stood up by the assigned technician both times with no operating product still and Comcast's determination was that story was simply a lie. I was told what happened in their second hand opinion as if I was in no way a part of what actually happened. Incredible customer service.

I like messing with phone scammers/telemarketers etc when I have the time.,.

Lately my angle has been to sell a pickup I used to own, red 85 Jeep Comanche 4x4 pickup with running lights and everything! It was th first vehicle I ever got back in the 90's, dang I miss that ride, pulled in some strange wool with that one.

They try to tell me about what they are selling or how my credit account computer virus stranded relative yada yada yada (scammer crap), and I play extra dumb and extra interested for a couple of minutes, really get them feeling like they got another sap willing to bite. Then the next minute or two I subtly start talking about cars or selling a car I have, asking what they drive (this question gets the funniest responses, "uh...... wat?"). but most importantly if they need a good pickup? Of course they do. Eventually I make our entire conversation about nothing else other then me selling them the pickup like I'm the one who called them. I tell them high school stories about what a load of different things that happened in it, weird random 'road' stories, my opinion on the state of the US automobile market, anything I can to waste their time. I get real pushy and aggressive towards the calls crescendo, try to get their info to set up another call, find a time and place for a viewing of the truck if they are still on the line, ask them if they have credit issues, whatever. I never take no for an answer. I ALWAYS put them on hold multiple times also, let them know I have to use the restroom but take the phone with me and let them hear me using it or use a glass of water or something tell them I have another call then go into the next room and talk to someone else about Seinfeld or something while they can hear me.

I had one guy on the line for probably over 20 minutes once. Guy from India asking me to give him access to my laptop so he could fix (charge me) mystery viruses he detected on my Mac, I don't have a MAC, I have Windows. I asked him what he drove, he was like, "uh....... I don't have a car, I'm in India" "Perfect, this sound like just what you are looking for then!"

Last edited 10/16/13 6:31PM server time by GDPofMPG
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/16/13 6:19:22PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
***True Story***

When I visited Brazil in 2012, I asked the waitress....

What's for Brunch today young lady? - - her response....'Cocaine'

When I frequented the local bookstore...I asked the owner....What's your #1 Best Seller?? She came back with the aptly titled book HELP: an Asian Judako is beating my Ass: The Wanderlei Silva Story

Other than that, the women of São Paulo were HOT!

Last edited 10/16/13 6:41PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/16/13 6:39:05PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,263-1,218
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
That sucks Jake.

A similar thing happened to me with auto pay, except it was my mortgage payment, so I was out over a thousand dollars.

I tried to set up a different date, and was assured by the rep that everything would work out. Well, that didn't happen. I called back multiple times, talking to multiple people, and they couldn't refund my money right away. They said said it would take a month, and by then my next payment would be due.

I was lucky enough to have money in my savings account to cover it. I would have been pissed if I had accumulated overdraft fees.

Last edited 10/16/13 7:12PM server time by kopower
Edit note/reason: na

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #4   10/16/13 7:09:08PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kopower

That sucks Jake.

A similar thing happened to me with auto pay, except it was my mortgage payment, so I was out over a thousand dollars.

I tried to set up a different date, and was assured by the rep that everything would work out. Well, that didn't happen. I called back multiple times, talking to multiple people, and they couldn't refund my money right away. They said said it would take a month, and by then my next payment would be due.

I was lucky enough to have money in my savings account to cover it. I would have been pissed if I had accumulated overdraft fees.

whoa dude.

Post #5   10/16/13 7:19:10PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I know it's not exactly a universal payment method, but If it'll help you out at all, I can float ya a few bucks via Paypal 'til you get it figured out.

Post #6   10/16/13 10:07:01PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

I know it's not exactly a universal payment method, but If it'll help you out at all, I can float ya a few bucks via Paypal 'til you get it figured out.

I THINK the bank is gonna float me a memo credit in the morning. The chick told me to call her around 9. Thanks so much man. Like I mentioned before, you guys are all some cool motherfuckers.

Post #7   10/17/13 12:25:26AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Chips:
I used to fly up to PQI, Maine for work and the only flight was from Boston. Obviously it snows quite a bit up there so travel is not always very fun. US Airways was the only service that flew from Boston to PQI.

So at this point we can ignore the significant short comings of US Airways as a whole and their shitty method of operations and focus on a single incident. The weather caused a delay in the initial flight out of PQI which was scheduled for 6AM. This was announced at 5AM of course, which for weather, isn't too severe (unlike crew lacking ground rest which the airline knew about but didn't tell us our flights would be delayed until we were at the gate). So after calls and waiting around we were scheduled to fly out on the afternoon flight at 4pm. This allotted some time in Boston to get another flight together and get to Dayton, OH. However, the plane broke down and since this is a remote location there was only one other replacement which wasn't quite ship shape. I called US Air from the airport asking for options and they all seemed to point towards leaving Boston the next morning and getting into Boston late that day. I asked about a hotel and other accommodations and they said that the ticket was showing up as mechanical issues, so they would provide vouchers and put me up in a hotel. When we arrived in Boston they changed the story and claimed they could not provide anything because the problem was weather related.

So we went from the ground crew in PQI saying it was mechanical, to customer service saying it was mechanical, to the agents in Boston then saying it was reported as weather. They absolve themselves of any form of accommodation and were unwilling to do anything other than point me towards the shuttle for a nearby hotel.

The airline industry is the only industry in the Universe where they believe that the customer is always wrong and that we are so lucky that they exist in the first place. They lie about issues to avoid paying menial costs of operation and they hide issues that if disclosed would allow travelers to mitigate their problems that are caused by the airline in the first place. Now I've spent enough time screaming on the phone and at the agents in the airport to know that in the end they do nothing for you and eventually just tell you to go about your day.

Post #8   10/17/13 8:41:08AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:
Jeez man. Its incredible how companies can just lie to you..

PS I have an update on my situation. Wells Fargo is floating me a memo credit til Xcel energy refunds me. Suprisingly my big bank came thru in the clutch for me. :)

Post #9   10/17/13 1:27:55PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Wow Jake, that's brutal!

Makes literally no sense on the electric companies end either. It's not like a mortgage or car insurance where it's the same every month, so why would auto-pay still charge you, when you'd figure it would have to find your balance in the system month to month?

As for overdraft fees, that something that sucks with the amount of credit card machines out there. If you own a credit card machine, you can either manually close it out, or it'll close itself out every four days. That means you could buy something at a store on Monday, they let their machine run for four days and auto process at 11pm, and you get billed on Friday at midnight. Causes major clusterfucks for folks that use a debit card and don't keep a check book (ie pretty much everyone in America at this point) because that 20oz you bought four days ago could cost you $36.79 on Friday.

The good thing about banks is dealing with them face to face. They know you and if this isn't a constant problem, they'll generally waive the fees, or all but one, when these things happen. Especially considering they can see you paid and paid again in the system.

You know the gig with customer service. Keep a cool head and generally they'll at least do something to ease the pain.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #10   10/17/13 2:03:48PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm
Makes literally no sense on the electric companies end either. It's not like a mortgage or car insurance where it's the same every month, so why would auto-pay still charge you, when you'd figure it would have to find your balance in the system month to month?

Lolz, I switched addresses but maintained TWC. They allowed my auto payments set up through the bank for the original account to keep withdrawing despite the TWC account not really existing anymore as well as me having another account through TWC. You would think random money coming in towards a non existent account might raise a flag or two...

Post #11   10/17/13 2:59:08PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,259-1,266
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
One suggestion I have is to use Wells Fargo's BillPay feature to schedule your bill payments rather than have the utility (or mortgage) company withdraw the funds directly. You gain some flexibility, most notably, if there is a dispute of some sort, you can stop the payment, or you can delay a payment if you're waiting for money to come in.

It can be a pain in the ass to have to schedule payments each month and stay on top of them - but it keeps you in control.

Post #12   10/17/13 4:26:25PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
That's a good point. Most banks offer something like that nowadays.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #13   10/17/13 4:56:08PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:

Posted by scoozna

One suggestion I have is to use Wells Fargo's BillPay feature to schedule your bill payments rather than have the utility (or mortgage) company withdraw the funds directly. You gain some flexibility, most notably, if there is a dispute of some sort, you can stop the payment, or you can delay a payment if you're waiting for money to come in.

It can be a pain in the ass to have to schedule payments each month and stay on top of them - but it keeps you in control.

I actually have an appointment to set that up tomorrow afternoon with the bank. I was really freaked out when all this sprung up, but WF has done a really great job at helping me out at a time when I really need it.

Appreciate all the love too.. glad to see I'm not the only one to be screwed over by the man

Post #14   10/18/13 1:45:26AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:
Haha so this ended up being a positive.. somehow..

I was at the bank again yesterday afternoon to change the kind of account I had. I had been using a Wachovia account and was getting a $3/month charge and they wanted to fix that for me. The banker I had been talking to was being awfully flirtacious. I don't think of myself as a heartthrob or anything like that lol (I don't think I'm a zero either, but I'm no Brad Pitt) so it takes a lot for me to make the assumption that someone's trying to flirt with me. We talked wayyy more about our personal lives than anything banking related.

We get done after like 20 minutes of chatting and 5 minutes of real work, and she mentions that I should also set up bill pay. The bank was like 15 minutes away from closing, and I didn't want to keep anyone so I said I'd come back in today (Friday). She asked for my number/name (she misspelled my name Jacbo which was pretty funny) and I decided to go for it (something I rarely do lol). I just as casually as I could said, yeah definitely let's set up an appointment for 4pm Monday blah blah blah.. and you should keep that note and text me sometime. I'm new to the area and I'm trying to meet new friends. You seem really cool.

Leaving the bank I was thinking "god damn that was dumb" "never go back to this bank again" "she probably thinks you're the cheesiest dude alive" and not even an hour or two later I get a text saying "Hey its Melissa :)" Which was pretty encouraging. We went back and forth a few times and she actually asked me if I was doing anything this weekend. Obviously I'm not going to miss UFC 166 for some chick I just met, so I told her I was free later this evening & Sunday. She said she didn't have any plans tonight either, so we're gonna go to some cool little hole in the wall Spanish place for dinner later. We'll see where the night goes, but I fully expect to have to come back home and watch a Jay Jeans dancing to Britney Spears on Skype video to get my rocks off. I've never really been one to push anything on the first/second date. I'm pretty pumped about this one.. I'm used to dating a lot of chicks in Gainesville who didn't want to do anything but do MDMA and go to the clubs, this chick seems way sweeter than that kinda breed of chick lol.

So I guess I'll shift the focus of this thread into the following questions...

1) Have you ever approached an attractive lady at a place of business that you didn't know?

2) This is a question related to the epic Facebook thread from earlier today... I had four overdrafts from Wells Fargo.. will the number of stink fingers be over or under the amount of overdrafts I got (thanks to Proph for that one lmao)

Post #15   10/18/13 1:58:41PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3