Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should main card UFC fights have a higher point value than undercard fights? Cast your vote please.

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
Should main card UFC fights count for more points than undercard UFC fights?
Yes 9 19%
No 39 81%
  Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

JLS1980

Warren > Dantas

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,346-713
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The HB locking 48 hrs early will hardly ever play factor in the HB changing now that the HB is limited to ONLY the Main Card.
Main Cards only have 5 or 6 fights and if I'm not mistaken a Fox card has only 4 fights, I could be wrong.

On this particular card Jordan vs Gonzaga is the HB. The next closest fight that could even be Eligible (Main Card Fight) is Cain vs JDS
which is almost 20% off from the Jordan vs Gonzaga fight. There are 5 other fights on this card that have closer to Even actual betting odds.
And of those 5 fights there are 2 of them that could possibly be the HB oveer Jordan vs Gonzaga and that is Waldburger vs Amagov and Pague vs Horiguchi.

I guess if it makes people happy to lock it then so be it. I'm more of a fan of the HB coming from the entire card.
It doesn't effect the way I'm gonna pick it anyways.

Post #61   10/18/13 12:10:27AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Chips:
The hotbout is in place to stop logjams in scores and serves a definite purpose. To limit it to only the main card undermines the reason it's there in the first place. Also, fights between two very good long time vets like Gleison Tibau/Jamie Varner are prelims on some cards, whereas the finals of a TUF season are on the main card. I don't see the reason to put less value on a fight between two established vets in a great matchup than a fight between two guys premiering in the UFC and fighting for a contract.

As far as locking the HB early goes, I'm not as opposed to it as I am about point values differing between the main and preliminary card. I do think that if it stops people from being able to manipulate the system, I can see the reason for the early lock. If it were to stay the way it was I'd be fine with that too, as a lot of people do like to wait until the weigh ins to make their picks.

My $.02

Last edited 10/18/13 2:38AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #62   10/18/13 2:33:03AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by george112

So we complain about all the progress NOT being made to the site.

Then complain about the progress that IS FINALLY getting made.

Posted by Franklinfan47

But its only progress if its something that we want. I fail to see what was wrong with the point system in the first place.

exactly. The only thing I would have liked changed is the HB locking 24h before the event, ie after the weigh ins. There are more important issues to make this site better than changing the point system. Hell I've asked 2-3 years ago for something as simple as being able to embed youtube videos in our posts. I know its nothing drastic but makes things a little better imo (and convenient for us lazy people)

btw would you consider your government shutting down progress? Something is being done even though its not something you want

Last edited 10/18/13 8:32AM server time by bubbles

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #63   10/18/13 8:30:52AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by george112

So we complain about all the progress NOT being made to the site.

Then complain about the progress that IS FINALLY getting made.

Posted by Franklinfan47

But its only progress if its something that we want. I fail to see what was wrong with the point system in the first place.

exactly. The only thing I would have liked changed is the HB locking 24h before the event, ie after the weigh ins. There are more important issues to make this site better than changing the point system. Hell I've asked 2-3 years ago for something as simple as being able to embed youtube videos in our posts. I know its nothing drastic but makes things a little better imo (and convenient for us lazy people)

btw would you consider your government shutting down progress? Something is being done even though its not something you want

We use to be able to

Post #64   10/18/13 9:28:01AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,500-932
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

The voting is 34-8 and we go with the 8 nice.

The poll was to gauge interest in a recent suggestion we received to have the main card fights count for more points than undercard fights, not the moving of the hot bout to the main card. I thought it was an idea worth entertaining, but it's obviously not something the userbase wants, thus it's not being implemented.

The other changes were made as they were part of a large update in preparation for the new site under development.

The only change was to move the hot bout to main card. This can always be changed down the road, but for now there are already completed components to the new site that work off of these changes which I'm not going to take the time to revisit right this moment when I'm already so far behind on just getting the basic minimum done to get the new version out.

Other than getting butt-sexed, don't knock it til ya try it ;-) We can do another poll on the hot bout being on the main card in the near future and take it from there. Contrary to popular belief, my purpose here isn't to make you miserable.

Last edited 10/18/13 11:13AM server time by dothemmath
2 total post edits

Post #65   10/18/13 11:08:05AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:
^ all good man

Post #66   10/19/13 9:09:21AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Chips:

Posted by infestructure

^ all good man

Thanks to all for rolling with the punches so well this last year, hopefully I'll be able to make it up to ya

Post #67   10/19/13 10:16:33AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
So in reality, the HB could be a fight with a 70/30 split (in terms of picks) as long as no other fight is closer?

I don't understand what was wrong with the HB scoring in the first place. Why is it an issue that was addressed before all others?

Last edited 10/19/13 3:30PM server time by emfleek

Post #68   10/19/13 3:29:37PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

So in reality, the HB could be a fight with a 70/30 split (in terms of picks) as long as no other fight is closer?

I don't understand what was wrong with the HB scoring in the first place. Why is it an issue that was addressed before all others?

Post #69   10/19/13 7:13:01PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
that is a legitimate question that hasn't been answered. Saying "oh its part of the bigger picture" or something like that means next to nothing. Sorry if I'm sounding cynical but the last time I heard of these bigger and better things, MMA @ work hadn't started yet

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #70   10/19/13 7:43:25PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by emfleek

Good answer. Let me guess - it has something to do with a "behind the scenes update" that members "won't see".

Gotcha.

Last edited 10/19/13 8:11PM server time by emfleek
2 total post edits

Post #71   10/19/13 8:09:58PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

that is a legitimate question that hasn't been answered. Saying "oh its part of the bigger picture" or something like that means next to nothing. Sorry if I'm sounding cynical but the last time I heard of these bigger and better things, MMA @ work hadn't started yet

I get that your upset. I do.

That being said, what I've posted in plain english multiple times now is really all there is to say about it. I don't know what answer would satisfy you nor is it my obligation to report to Bubbles.

Post #72   10/19/13 8:15:58PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by emfleek

Good answer. Let me guess - it has something to do with a "behind the scenes update" that members "won't see".

Gotcha.

I get that you've been upset for a long time now Eric. You've made it abundantly clear.

Just to get this straight - you are accusing me of spending my spare time installing bugs on the website so that I can come here and post, asking for people to send me any bugs or errors they see?

Post #73   10/19/13 8:17:49PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Chips:
At any rate, all that there is to say from the development side of things for this moment has already been said - multiple times.

Thanks all for the feedback and votes.

I think we're done here.

Last edited 10/19/13 8:25PM server time by dothemmath

Post #74   10/19/13 8:25:38PM   

Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5