Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Chael Sonnen: Keep God out of the cage

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC star Chael Sonnen reminds fighters that God does not care about the outcome of a cage fight.

Link

Post #1   10/14/13 2:17:50PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
lol... well that was a waste of a read.

Chael's just talking for the sake of talking at this point.

Post #2   10/14/13 2:21:09PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I wish I could post on this without being banned! But pretty much every draft I've written would push the limits of the religion rules.
I'll just say I agree with Mr Chael P.Sonnen, but for wildly different reasons.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   10/14/13 3:07:37PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
whatever god you may or may not believe in still doesn't give a shit about a fist fight

Post #4   10/14/13 3:43:15PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,870-1,008
Chips:
I agree with Cheal here, I think a simple thank God is enough. Don't make all you're post fight speech a sermon, that's not to say you have to go the pro wrestling route like Cheal but the sermon doesn't do anyone any good.

Post #5   10/14/13 3:52:08PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:715-434
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I wish I could post on this without being banned! But pretty much every draft I've written would push the limits of the religion rules.
I'll just say I agree with Mr Chael P.Sonnen, but for wildly different reasons.

Yeah, its sad. We can't even discuss it. But I suppose it's unfair to discuss it when one side uses facts and science to back up its points, and the other uses faith and gospel.

Post #6   10/14/13 4:23:23PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
I'll just say that this is a perfectly reasonable stance to take with this whole topic. I've felt weird watching people wrap up their victories as divine intervention before, mainly for the same reasons Chael listed. That said, I don' t think there's anything wrong with a man openly acknowledging his beliefs in front of a crowd either.

Post #7   10/14/13 6:19:29PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Chael said what I have been saying for a while now. Why would God (or any other divine being) give you strength and power to physically harm another human being? It goes against all the shit you read in bibles and hear in mass. And I find it funny how the fighters only thank God after a win

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   10/14/13 7:01:19PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Chips:
I think he kept it inoffensive and as he could, almost everyone (minus Brazilians) feel kind of the same way. For those who don't know, Brazilians are extremely devout Christians...I got family from there and it can make things uncomfortable even for those in my family that are much more devout than I.

Post #9   10/15/13 12:07:43AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,423-873
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

And I find it funny how the fighters only thank God after a win

Yeah, I know. I've always wanted to hear a fighter, or any athlete really, be like "I blame god! If he hadn't got in my way, I would've had the strength to land that fight ending punch!" after they lost. I would probably literally fall out of my chair laughing. It would make my entire year.

Last edited 10/15/13 3:16AM server time by ufc_fanatic
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   10/15/13 3:15:29AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:
Why does anyone give a fuck if a man chooses to thank God after a victory?

Also, Bendo has thanked Jesus after losses. Fighters aren't necessarily saying "thank you God for letting me win," but thanks for helping with my life or my training or health or anything. I just can't understand why some of you guys are all over this, or why Sonnen bothered to mention it. What difference does it make to any of you?

With that said, I don't believe in much myself, so it's not like I'm trying to defend religion here. I just think it's funny that so many people seem to care about OTHER people's beliefs so damn much. I can't imagine these people who thank God give a flying fuck what you or Sonnen have to say about it.

Post #11   10/15/13 9:00:47AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:715-434
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Also, Bendo has thanked Jesus after losses. Fighters aren't necessarily saying "thank you God for letting me win," but thanks for helping with my life or my training or health or anything. I just can't understand why some of you guys are all over this, or why Sonnen bothered to mention it. What difference does it make to any of you?

With that said, I don't believe in much myself, so it's not like I'm trying to defend religion here. I just think it's funny that so many people seem to care about OTHER people's beliefs so damn much. I can't imagine these people who thank God give a flying fuck what you or Sonnen have to say about it.

It's all very well and good for individuals to believe what ever fairy tales they choose. Its when those people have power and responsibility that I worry.

Post #12   10/15/13 5:35:04PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Webbie

It's all very well and good for individuals to believe what ever fairy tales they choose. Its when those people have power and responsibility that I worry.

That's understandable, but who are we talking about here?

I just don't see why this conversation even came up. Why does anyone care if someone else thanks God after a fight? It doesn't make sense to me. It's not like anyone is going to stop thanking God just because Sonnen and some other people say that it's ridiculous.

I've never actually heard any fighter say "thank you God for helping me beat the shit out of this guy." Usually it's more of a "thanks for allowing me to be here" sort of thing, and I just don't see why anyone else cares.

Like I said, I don't believe in shit, so I'm not defending religion.

Post #13   10/15/13 6:46:05PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,501-1,553
Camp: country KO
Chips:
He's talking to you Wilcox. As an atheist I'd like to thank the laws of thermodynamics for giving me the physics me to type this post..

Post #14   10/17/13 10:26:50PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm not religious by any means, but for those that like MMA documentaries, you may enjoy this whether you are or aren't religious. I've been following the project since it arrived on Kickstarter a few years ago:

"Academy Award Winning Director, Daniel Junge (Saving Face) and director Bryan Storkel (Holy Rollers: The True Story of Card Counting Christians) team up with producers Eben Kostbar and Joseph McKelheer (The Hammer) for a feature documentary about the confluence of Christianity and mixed martial arts, including ministries which train fighters. The film follows several pastors and popular fighters in their quest to reconcile their faith with a sport that many consider violent and barbaric. Faith is tried and questions are raised. Can you really love your neighbor as yourself and then punch him in the face?"

Bones and Benson and countless other less mainstream fighters appear in the documentary. If it sounds worth checking out or looking into further, it came out this year and is just under 90 minutes long. The documentary is called Fight Church.

Post #15   10/20/13 3:19:47AM