Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Quick hockey (NHL) question

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
Since I hate basketball, the Braves are out, and both the Falcons and Dawgs only play during weekends I decided to start following the NHL for the first time in my life (the free trial of Dtv Center Ice also influenced). I chose Calgary as "my team" since they were ATL based and unlike the Jets they didn't change nickname and still rock the A.

Anyways, I also entered a fantasy league to learn faster the rosters and all that stuff. The draft is tonight and I have the 1st overall... Who should I pick? Crosby? Ovechkin? Stamkos?

Post #1   10/14/13 12:09:25PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:913-568
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Stammer is pretty damn consistent. Im biased as a lightning fan tho

Post #2   10/14/13 12:55:29PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,629-1,436
Chips:
Safest pick would be Crosby imo.

Post #3   10/14/13 1:14:02PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:
From a fantasy stand point Ovechkin is the best player in the league right now (according to yahoo). In the long run though I would take Crosby over the others in a heartbeat. I ended up with Stamkos on my team and despite the hat trick the other night he's off to a fairly slow start. Jake is right though, he's consistent once he gets going but I wouldn't pick him over those two.

Last edited 10/14/13 1:23PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   10/14/13 1:23:20PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,958-1,134
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Crosby above and beyond the best in the world...fantasy and real life.

Depending on league though, it could be set heavy on Goalie stats too...So may want to check what categories have the most value and research your goalies as well.

Post #5   10/14/13 2:12:17PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:
Crosby
Stamkos
Ovechkin
Malkin

are the safest picks.

There is also a tier below that are worth taking if they're available for your 2nd pick.

Datsyuk
Toews
Kane
Either Sedin
Karlsson

Post #6   10/14/13 4:38:03PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I'd take Malkin or Ovie 1st overall. Partly because I want nothing to do with Crosbaby and Malkin is the best player in the world atm. Then again you could use Crosbaby as trade bait and get 2 solid players in return

Also I would strongly suggest changing your "favourite team". Calgary is one of the worst teams in the league, their front office/management is in disarray, and their prospects aren't blue chip nor do they have much talent to draw from. It will be a very long year and will repeat for a long time. For teams sort of near you, I'd suggest either the Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators or Washington Capitals. They have young stars and are playoff hopeful every season.

Last edited 10/14/13 8:14PM server time by bubbles

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   10/14/13 8:13:02PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Chips:
Draft starting in 30 seconds. Going with Crosby. Thanks, guys.

Sorry Bubbles, already committed to the Flames since I already had their hat from the Atlanta years. I'm used to follow losers so it wont be a problem.

Last edited 10/14/13 9:04PM server time by Ordep

Post #8   10/14/13 9:01:18PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Chips:
We'll see what happens. The league is just for fun, six teams and none of us know jack shit about hockey so it should be entertaining. Here's my team:
C,LW,RW,W,D,D,Util,G,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN

Mr. Freeze Minions
1. (1) Sidney Crosby (Pit - C)
2. (12) P.K. Subban (Mon - D)
3. (13) Semyon Varlamov (Col - G)
4. (24) Jonathan Toews (Chi - C)
5. (25) Jonathan Quick (LA - G)
6. (36) Matt Moulson (NYI - LW)
7. (37) Rick Nash (NYR - LW,RW)
8. (48) Keith Yandle (Pho - D)
9. (49) Tyler Seguin (Dal - C,RW)
10. (60) Jiri Hudler (Cgy - LW)
11. (61) Jaroslav Halak (StL - G)
12. (72) Francois Beauchemin (Anh - D)
13. (73) Logan Couture (SJ - C,LW)
14. (84) Cody Franson (Tor - D)

Post #9   10/14/13 9:54:36PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I'd take Malkin or Ovie 1st overall. Partly because I want nothing to do with Crosbaby and Malkin is the best player in the world atm. Then again you could use Crosbaby as trade bait and get 2 solid players in return

Also I would strongly suggest changing your "favourite team". Calgary is one of the worst teams in the league, their front office/management is in disarray, and their prospects aren't blue chip nor do they have much talent to draw from. It will be a very long year and will repeat for a long time. For teams sort of near you, I'd suggest either the Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators or Washington Capitals. They have young stars and are playoff hopeful every season.

Bubs, As i live in Pittsburgh i don't miss Penguins game, And your hatred of Sid is unreal....Malkin isn't close to Sid's level....Malkin was pretty terrible last season.

Who's leading in points....Oh yeah Crosby...Who will have more points tonight Crosby.

Crosby is 1.

then you have next tier...just counting centers..

Datsyuk
Malkin
Stamkos
Toews
Tavares

Bergeron...and down.

You'll be singing a different tune, when he brings your country another gold medal.

Last edited 10/15/13 2:30PM server time by iwannabesedated
2 total post edits

Post #10   10/15/13 2:28:02PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
Good luck buddy!

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #11   10/15/13 3:36:30PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
we have had these debates many times before and nothing has changed lol. Malkin was the main reason Sid has a Stanley Cup ring. Malkin carried the team to a better win % when Crosby broke his foot a few years ago (or w/e the injury was, not the concussion). He is not as flashy nor puts up the regular season numbers but that doesn't mean he isn't a better player. We both agreed before that Gretzky isn't the best player ever yet he has more points than anyone. You say Lemieux was better, I say Orr was better. Malkin is currently playing with throwaway scrubs as his linemates (Jokinen and Kobasew) or a ceiling 3rd liner in Bennett, it's not like he has much help.

Tomas Hertl leads the league in goals, does that make him the best sniper in the world?

I will cheer for the name on the front of the jersey come Sochi. Crosby was a ghost in Vancouver until his cherry picking goal at the very end, and I expect more of the same.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #12   10/15/13 4:40:06PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

we have had these debates many times before and nothing has changed lol. Malkin was the main reason Sid has a Stanley Cup ring. Malkin carried the team to a better win % when Crosby broke his foot a few years ago (or w/e the injury was, not the concussion). He is not as flashy nor puts up the regular season numbers but that doesn't mean he isn't a better player. We both agreed before that Gretzky isn't the best player ever yet he has more points than anyone. You say Lemieux was better, I say Orr was better. Malkin is currently playing with throwaway scrubs as his linemates (Jokinen and Kobasew) or a ceiling 3rd liner in Bennett, it's not like he has much help.

Tomas Hertl leads the league in goals, does that make him the best sniper in the world?

I will cheer for the name on the front of the jersey come Sochi. Crosby was a ghost in Vancouver until his cherry picking goal at the very end, and I expect more of the same.

Whoa, Malkin needs good wingers to play with him for him to be high level... His best seaon was from playing with Kunitz and Neal when Sid was out and Neal is his Malkins' guy.....Pascal Dupuis would not be a seasonal 30 goal guy playing with anyone else other than Sid..

And the main reason Sid has a ring is Fleury was solid thru those playoffs and they had a shut-down prime pairing of Scuderi and Gill.....Max Talbot scored both goals in game 7...So credit him.....because what Sid does in the other 90 games is irrelevant .

Last edited 10/15/13 4:58PM server time by iwannabesedated

Post #13   10/15/13 4:58:18PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:
Your also basing the arguement over his lack of dominance in the playoffs...Well when you get paired against the other teams top Dmen each second you take the ice ...ALA Chara last year,Lidstrom 09 you're not going to dominate.

Post #14   10/15/13 5:20:19PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,629-1,436
Chips:
Good team Ordep

I understand where your hate comes from Bubbles, the Crosby hype gets to me sometimes too. But from a fantasy stand point I think you'd be crazy to pick Malkin over Crosby in terms of how many points each actually generates.

We should do our own player draft

Post #15   10/15/13 5:44:02PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2