Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cole Miller says fighters on local shows making more sponsorship money than him

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC featherweight Cole Miller has competed in the octagon 14 times, but he is very frustrated with the lack of sponsorship money he's been able to get lately.

Link

Post #1   10/6/13 11:52:30PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,523-1,604
Chips:
Sounds like a managerial issue...that and a few losses lately means he isn't being televised.

Post #2   10/7/13 12:40:15AM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,681-939
Chips:
"There are these companies that just straight up won't call back right after they hear that I'm on Facebook."

There's the reason. Only the hardcore fans watch the FB fights, and there aren't many sponsors willing to dish out the cash for the bare minimum.

Last edited 10/7/13 2:01AM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/7/13 1:58:34AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,971-1,169
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

"There are these companies that just straight up won't call back right after they hear that I'm on Facebook."

There's the reason. Only the hardcore fans watch the FB fights, and there aren't many sponsors willing to dish out the cash for the bare minimum.

Boo Hoo....wipe your tears and do something about it

Post #4   10/7/13 4:23:34AM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,795-1,027
Chips:
Then he should sign with a smaller promotion. Then he can make $5K from sponsors and $1K from the promoter instead of $3K from sponsors and $20K from the promoter. That's a brilliant career move, jackass.

Post #5   10/7/13 4:39:07AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,133-678
Chips:
26k to show and 26k to win, if the dude wasn't 2-4 in his recent fights he might be making more money. Something about Cole just rubs me up the wrong way.

He's the only guy when I interviewed him I told him I picked against him in a fight.

I doubt WSOF would even put him on the main card.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #6   10/7/13 6:48:02AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,851-901
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
To some degree, I can sympathize with his frustration. He has put in his time with the UFC and isn't really getting anywhere. He's tried winning for the sake of winning. He's tried striking with better strikers just to make the fight "more exciting". He just can't get traction.

Sadly, Cole Miller will probably never make particularly good money fighting. Not everyone can. He's got great BJJ, but he doesn't have the wrestling to get most decent fighters to the ground. He's got excellent height and reach for his division, but he doesn't use it well and has no power. When it comes right down to it, fans mostly want to see fighters that can win with some level of consistency while avoiding the most boring paths to victory. Cole Miller will probably never get there.

Post #7   10/7/13 10:01:49AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
to play devil's advocate, Dana and the other Zuffa suits have cut ties/banned a bunch of sponsors. That isn't going to help these types of fighters

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   10/7/13 10:02:08AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
Aw poor Cole. Don't like your job? Get a different one.

Post #9   10/7/13 12:48:22PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,449-880
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Goatenstein

Aw poor Cole. Don't like your job? Get a different one.

That's not the American way though! Now a days when "the system" doesn't work for someone, they whine and bitch and try to get someone to do something for them instead of changing themselves....

Post #10   10/7/13 1:35:22PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I can't blame a sponsor for not investing in someone on Facebook, and someone who doesn't have much upside considering their last few fights. If he was a Matt Brown or Max Holloway, that has an attention-grabbing fight, win or lose, it would be a different story.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #11   10/7/13 2:33:42PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I more loss buddy and you will be on the local shows

Post #12   10/7/13 8:16:30PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
He cleared this up on the UG

First off thanks for any and all kind words. But I wanted to make a point here. I hear a lot of people blaming the UFC. This is ridiculous. IF it weren't for the UFC I wouldn't be able to decline these ridiculous offers I'm hearing. The UFC tripled the amount of fight cards in a year giving fighters more opportunities to make money and potentially fight more often. I'm not understanding people complaining about this tax. A tax insures that fighters are dealing with serious sponsors and have to worry less about NSF checks!!! This is more of a post because I want what's best for this sport. I want to see young guys like my next opponent have it good in years to come when I'm gone from this game. If these guys are accepting offers for gear you just ruin the value of yourself and everyone else that's why I have been fighting in unmarked shorts past few fights(no Mma apparel company shorts). And why would I not accept gear? Because I spend my hard earned UFC money and reinvest into myself buying $375 winning boxing gloves $250 winning head gear. $150 King Muay Thai shin guards. Diamond MMA cup. JAWZZ custom mouth guard. What is a company that sells retail $70 gloves going to offer me?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #13   10/7/13 11:02:36PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

He cleared this up on the UG

First off thanks for any and all kind words. But I wanted to make a point here. I hear a lot of people blaming the UFC. This is ridiculous. IF it weren't for the UFC I wouldn't be able to decline these ridiculous offers I'm hearing. The UFC tripled the amount of fight cards in a year giving fighters more opportunities to make money and potentially fight more often. I'm not understanding people complaining about this tax. A tax insures that fighters are dealing with serious sponsors and have to worry less about NSF checks!!! This is more of a post because I want what's best for this sport. I want to see young guys like my next opponent have it good in years to come when I'm gone from this game. If these guys are accepting offers for gear you just ruin the value of yourself and everyone else that's why I have been fighting in unmarked shorts past few fights(no Mma apparel company shorts). And why would I not accept gear? Because I spend my hard earned UFC money and reinvest into myself buying $375 winning boxing gloves $250 winning head gear. $150 King Muay Thai shin guards. Diamond MMA cup. JAWZZ custom mouth guard. What is a company that sells retail $70 gloves going to offer me?

What does it matter how much his gloves cost? A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Post #14   10/8/13 5:43:16AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

And why would I not accept gear? Because I spend my hard earned UFC money and reinvest into myself buying $375 winning boxing gloves $250 winning head gear. $150 King Muay Thai shin guards. Diamond MMA cup. JAWZZ custom mouth guard. What is a company that sells retail $70 gloves going to offer me?

What does it matter how much his gloves cost? A good craftsman never blames his tools.

reread that, he is not blaming his performance on his gloves

Last edited 10/8/13 10:56AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   10/8/13 10:56:06AM