Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

2013 NHL THREAD

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
well what does last year have to do with this year? You're taking a half assed season with no training camp into consideration. I really don't put any stock into anything last season. Malkin is contributing with assists and the last time I checked they equal goals. If you want to make that claim, then Crosby is overpaid because he has more than twice as many assists as goals in all but 2 seasons in his career.

Crosby is getting paid 8.7 mil a year and cannot stay healthy for an entire season. Anyone who gets paid that needs to play at least 70 games at bare minimum, forget the amount of goals scored. And yes that goes for Malkin too

As for the Rangers, they are playing well now because a) they're healthier and b) are actually playing home games rather than spending the first 3 weeks in hotels. Tortz is a smart coach, NY didn't have the offensive firepower or depth that other teams did so he focused on defense and goaltending. It's his version of the trap the Devils used to play...defense and goaltending win championships. The only thing I will fault him for is the poor production of the the powerplay and it's carried over into Vancouver. It wasn't that long ago when he coached the Rangers to the top of the East, within 2 points of a President's Trophy, and to the conference finals.

They got a tough stretch over the couple weeks so that will determine where they actually stand, especially with 9 games in 15 days with only 3 at home

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #31   11/12/13 9:29:47AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
Its a good full time nickname and oh you managed to win a single game against the Bruins this time way to aim high

Post #32   11/12/13 10:45:04AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,809-1,609
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The trash talk in this thread is truly terrible.

Post #33   11/12/13 11:26:16AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Career:1,931-1,117
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Not trash talking, Just an ongoing argument.

I'll take Crosby over Malkin anyday, I live in Pittsburgh and follow everything Pittsburgh. Me and Bubs has had an ongoing argument over who is better, But when you ask GM's,Coaches and Players alike it's a unanimous they take Sid #1.

And bubs you kind of contradict yourself in that statement.

If assists equal goals and Crosby has twice as many assists than goals, Than that is well worth the money...It's unfortunate he got his brain rattled a few times and lost some games. I'm not saying that goals are the holy grail when judging a guy...But Malkin is here to score and produce and 0 goals in his last 10....12 in the last 60....Plus all the PP mins....it doesn't add up.
IMO

Post #34   11/12/13 5:33:17PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
I agree Malkin is in a slump but to me (in this context) producing is putting pucks in the net, whether via goals or assists. Is he trying to change his game to be more pass oriented or is he just in an extended funk?

Back to Stamkos, I just saw a graphic on Sportsnet showing Stamkos has scored 24% of his teams goals over the last 3 seasons (probably close to 35% if you count assists). He could be the single most important player to any team in the league. Also they showed a graphic regarding team records minus their star players (only three listed):
Penguins without Crosby: 89-47-16
Capitals without Ovechkin: 13-8-2
Lightning without Stamkos: 1-2

on a side note, if you guys are interested in listening to a hockey podcast, you must check out Marek vs Wyshynski. I should have endorsed this last year or earlier this year but it is a great listen for an hour. Jeff Marek from Sportsnet and Greg Wyshynski from Yahoo's Puck Daddy. For me it is quite refreshing that hockey talk isn't limited to the Maple Leafs.

Last edited 11/12/13 6:15PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #35   11/12/13 6:13:59PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

ya its no big thing its just hard to find non band wagon hockey fans so its fun to B-S and trash talk a bit if i wasnt on a phone id have longer more poignant posts on stuff

Post #36   11/12/13 10:00:08PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I agree Malkin is in a slump but to me (in this context) producing is putting pucks in the net, whether via goals or assists. Is he trying to change his game to be more pass oriented or is he just in an extended funk?

Back to Stamkos, I just saw a graphic on Sportsnet showing Stamkos has scored 24% of his teams goals over the last 3 seasons (probably close to 35% if you count assists). He could be the single most important player to any team in the league. Also they showed a graphic regarding team records minus their star players (only three listed):
Penguins without Crosby: 89-47-16
Capitals without Ovechkin: 13-8-2
Lightning without Stamkos: 1-2

on a side note, if you guys are interested in listening to a hockey podcast, you must check out Marek vs Wyshynski. I should have endorsed this last year or earlier this year but it is a great listen for an hour. Jeff Marek from Sportsnet and Greg Wyshynski from Yahoo's Puck Daddy. For me it is quite refreshing that hockey talk isn't limited to the Maple Leafs.

I won't argue that Stamkos is super important, But i really wont judge ones importance based on wins and losses for a team sport. The Pens are much more talented than both of those teams IMO..and have Geno....who seems to step up when Sid is out. But i will agree that Stamkos may be more important because fuck....he is basically their team..lol as where Sid and Ovy atleast have some other notable guys.

And for all the Crosby is a baby talk...you guys see Giroux crying to the press this week....

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Lets Go Pens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I
I say a funk for Geno, I think playing in the KHL last year during lockout and having the larger ice surface may have fucked him up...He was sloppy as shit last season with turnovers and general bad play..

Honestly it comes down to him being Euro and they're known to get lazy and chase money....Geno seems to not fit that mold so far with the $$ and doesn't seem to care being second fiddle to Sid...But he does show lack of effort at times...Espscially that 5-1 drubbing by the Rags last week...he was terrible and just didn't show. But i think he plays better when he is surronded by solid guys...As where Sid makes others better...

Last edited 11/13/13 5:45PM server time by iwannabesedated

Post #37   11/13/13 5:40:26PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
Sure their team has more depth than most, but a .654 win percentage (I excluded OT losses because points were still gained, otherwise its .638 counting them as ties) without the consensus #1 player in the world imo is kinda telling to his impact on the team and should work against him in MVP talks.

I don't know if I fully agree with the European argument...it might be a Russian thing. Kovalev and Kovalchuck were 2 of the best talents in the game but routinely took nights off. Semin has that tag on him too. I can't lump Sweeds into that group because I can't think of an elite Swedish player who slacks off. Selanne and Jagr will play until they break Gordie Howe's mark

Malkin may not have shown, but he did register an assist. To me, Crosby didn't look all that great either

Last edited 11/13/13 6:19PM server time by bubbles

Post #38   11/13/13 6:18:41PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
I know last night isn't a good example since Washington was largely outplayed but what the hell happened to Fleruy? He used to be Swiss cheese the last 3 years. I can't figure smaller goalie pads work to his benefit. Or have their defensemen learned to, you know, play defense

Just curious from a Team Canada perspective

Last edited 11/21/13 10:08AM server time by bubbles

Post #39   11/21/13 10:07:56AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Go Devils. We be takin ovaaaa

Post #40   11/22/13 6:22:14AM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I know last night isn't a good example since Washington was largely outplayed but what the hell happened to Fleruy? He used to be Swiss cheese the last 3 years. I can't figure smaller goalie pads work to his benefit. Or have their defensemen learned to, you know, play defense

Just curious from a Team Canada perspective

New Goalie coach, Lamaire has them playing more of D scheme, They been doing the left wing lock a lot as well, Also Fleury has been seeing a sports shrink...

Sucks losing two top 4 dmen with Captain America the confidence index himself Mr Paul Martin, and one of the most sound stay at home guys in the league with Scuderi. Letang is becoming the scapegoat now, He just is not playing well, he's not 100% but man his turnovers are dreadful and until Martin got hurt was demoted to 2nd unit PP.

Malkin has been a fucking machine as of late, I have not a clue who lit the fire under his ass but him an Neal have been terrific.

Pens are like 50% AHL team at the moment, missing 2 top 4 d guys, Bennett a top 4-6 winger, Kobasew another top 6, Glass who was a giant flop last year but has been great this year, 2nd in hits and great on the PK is also out..But Gibbons,Megna, and Ebbet has been solid when getting called-up, My biggest concern is backup G, Fleury has been a playoff headcase last 3 years and No Vokoun to come and save the day this year, Zatkoff i have very little confidence in up to this point, But i have faith in Shero with a Plethora of young gifted puck moving d men in the system and some capable forwards stepping up when needed, I'd look for Him to get a rental for the cup run...Maybe Ryan Miller or another UFA after this season from a bottom feeder team... But knowing shero he can get trade a snickers, practice pucks and used gatorade and acquire solid pieces....

Post #41   11/28/13 9:34:28AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
well I guess Fleury won't be on Canada's radar anymore lol

now watch Malkin score 40 goals the rest of the way. With Neal back, guys can't load up on him which gives him space to shoot. I heard a stat prior to a few games ago where he was shooting on average around a shot less per game this season than his career average. I didn't watch last night's game, partly because I dislike both teams but mostly to study for finals, but that must have been fun to watch. Plus I love listening to Leafs fans whine after every loss.

every team has injuries, hell my Rangers have been without 2 of their top 4 players for a good chunk of the season. I don't think Bennett is a top 6 winger on a good team, but is a good fill in if healthy.

also I don't think Shero can fleece Dallas anymore now that Nieuwendyk is no longer a GM and Feaster actually has a backbone now that Burke is running the show

Post #42   11/28/13 4:42:59PM   

40ouncetofreedom

In Full Mount

40ouncetofreedom Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

well I guess Fleury won't be on Canada's radar anymore lol

now watch Malkin score 40 goals the rest of the way. With Neal back, guys can't load up on him which gives him space to shoot. I heard a stat prior to a few games ago where he was shooting on average around a shot less per game this season than his career average. I didn't watch last night's game, partly because I dislike both teams but mostly to study for finals, but that must have been fun to watch. Plus I love listening to Leafs fans whine after every loss.

every team has injuries, hell my Rangers have been without 2 of their top 4 players for a good chunk of the season. I don't think Bennett is a top 6 winger on a good team, but is a good fill in if healthy.

also I don't think Shero can fleece Dallas anymore now that Nieuwendyk is no longer a GM and Feaster actually has a backbone now that Burke is running the show

Dude, Bennett will be a top 4 winger, He just turned 20, he plays like Kunitz just doesn't have the size (yet)..He can score,plays gritty can muck for being young and still undersized...He's the future Kunitz...I'll bet my right testicle on that. He hasn't been healthy at all this season, which sucks for him because with Neal out he was with Malkin on 2nd line but got hurt himself..Then came back and played on top line with Sid for a game or 2 and Dupuis dropped to play with Neal and Malkin....But Jokinen who has that euro connection or something lol has been solid with Geno...So when everyone is healthy it is hard to argue him not being top 6....but Kunitz 33 and Dupuis 34 only have a few years left and Dupuis hasn't been too noticeable this year.

Post #43   11/28/13 10:12:08PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3