Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What's going on with Vera?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,568-1,469
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC has a policy that doesn't allow ppl with less than a year left on their contracts to get a title shot, Vera wanted one and when informed of this policy asked for the big $$$$$ so he will get benched for the final 8 months of his contract then move on to pride or possibly, and dont be surprised if it happens, showtime, there is still the outside chance that this guy comes to his senses and sees that all the $ is gonna be in UFC in 5 years the way its going

Post #16   1/17/07 5:20:03PM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

UFC has a policy that doesn't allow ppl with less than a year left on their contracts to get a title shot, Vera wanted one and when informed of this policy asked for the big $$$$$ so he will get benched for the final 8 months of his contract then move on to pride or possibly, and dont be surprised if it happens, showtime, there is still the outside chance that this guy comes to his senses and sees that all the $ is gonna be in UFC in 5 years the way its going

We can hope he comes to his senses. Money does weird things to people.

Post #17   1/17/07 9:09:19PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
I don't know why people think Pride will care about Vera for one second. Think people.

Post #18   1/17/07 9:20:10PM   

roninthomas

Learning to Sprawl

roninthomas Avatar

Career:31-25
Camp: Chute Boxe
Chips:
I think Vera would bdo will in Pride Stomps and four point attacks, he good with the knees. Muay Thai & kickboxing does will over there.

Post #19   1/18/07 5:59:57AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,975-1,117
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
If the UFC isn't willing to pay him what he wants, I doubt Pride will. Their CEO even said they can't compete with UFC salary wise after the Cro-Cop signing

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #20   1/19/07 3:20:06PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by strikefirstgear

Posted by cowcatcher

I hope you are being sarcastic... Why would you ever look down on a guy trying ta make a better living for himself and/or his family? Any one of us would make that decision. Don't be selfish. Just because you and I and any UFC fan wants to see him fight, does not mean that he should take a crap deal and end up getting short changed like Rich Franklin. Vera isn't exactly young (29? late twenties), and he needs to think about his future. I would love to see him stay in the UFC (I think they need more heavyweight talent regardless, but CC and HH were a very good start on building that division back up).

So with that being said, I understand Vera's position, but I also understand the UFC's. The won't give him a title shot for his last fight, or he could leave with the belt like BJ and Tito did. And they think that he should prove himself more before getting the big bucks which is completely understandable (he's like 9-0 against C-B level fighters).

I would like to think that they could give him some sort of pro-rated / incentive based contract that would go up with increasing wins or could be cancelled if he ends up being another flash in the pan. I don't know anything about contract negotiations ect. but you'd think that a guy with Ver's position in the UFC org would try his damndest and that the people at UFC would try their damndest to make things work.

Post #21   1/25/07 3:53:10PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,975-1,117
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by strikefirstgear

Posted by cowcatcher

I hope you are being sarcastic... Why would you ever look down on a guy trying ta make a better living for himself and/or his family? Any one of us would make that decision. Don't be selfish. Just because you and I and any UFC fan wants to see him fight, does not mean that he should take a crap deal and end up getting short changed like Rich Franklin. Vera isn't exactly young (29? late twenties), and he needs to think about his future. I would love to see him stay in the UFC (I think they need more heavyweight talent regardless, but CC and HH were a very good start on building that division back up).

So with that being said, I understand Vera's position, but I also understand the UFC's. The won't give him a title shot for his last fight, or he could leave with the belt like BJ and Tito did. And they think that he should prove himself more before getting the big bucks which is completely understandable (he's like 9-0 against C-B level fighters).

I would like to think that they could give him some sort of pro-rated / incentive based contract that would go up with increasing wins or could be cancelled if he ends up being another flash in the pan. I don't know anything about contract negotiations ect. but you'd think that a guy with Ver's position in the UFC org would try his damndest and that the people at UFC would try their damndest to make things work.

Good post. Franklin himself said the UFC has taken care of him in other ways(sponsorships, bonuses and such), but he definately deserves a better deal. When he signed with the UFC they were still in the red. I agree Vera needs to look out for himself, but there are rumors( no concrete facts of course) that he asked for a contract similiar to the one Sylvia(huge signing bonus) just signed . "If" this is true, he's outta line in my opinion. Sylvia is a 2-time champ with multiple title defenses and he did beat Arlovski(UFC golden boy). I completley agree that he doesn't have a win against a top tier fighter, and I like the incentive / pro-rated contract idea. However, the one thing I really wonder is if he saw Cro-cop coming and wanted big cash now , thinking he couldn't hold the belt if he won it. I would have offered him the title shot , a pro-rated/incentive contract, and a clause that if he lost to Sylvia or Cro-cop that he could immediately drop to LTHVY and fight for the belt. It's a fight they could sell , and I firmly beleive a good figher at a higher weight has a good shot fighting at a lower weight. Eiher way this all just speculation, especially since we don't know for sure what's been offered or rejected.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #22   1/25/07 4:34:45PM   

ElGuApO91

MMA Regular

ElGuApO91 Avatar

Career:14-4
Camp: El Guapo
Chips:
the only real reason i can see him not fighting for the title or the ufc anymore is cro cop hes afraid.

Post #23   1/25/07 6:44:21PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
Ya, you're right... It just seems cheap to me that the UFC could get away with paying one of their champs like 35,000 a fight (Around what I heard they paid Franklin), I mean sanchez made that much on Fight Night when he KO'd Riggs, but i guess they did try to make it up to him with the sponsorships etc...

Aas to him being worried about CC, IMHO, I think pro fighters possess a massive amount of confidence in themselves, so I don't think that he would worry about losing the belt. I would hope that he would have his goals firmly set on attaining it first. Big Tim is no pushover...

But you're right this is all just speculation, I just hope to see Vera fighting somewhere (hopefully the UFC) sometime soon. It would be a damn shame if they ended up sitting him for the length of his contract like some people are speculating.

Post #24   1/26/07 11:16:45AM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:

Posted by Uchiha

i think if he still had 1 fight left they'll feed him some random no namer or someone the ufc think can beat him then just let him leave to pride

I think they should give him a title shot if he resigns.

Post #25   1/26/07 12:54:51PM   

tffdwg38

Banned

tffdwg38 Avatar

Career:16-14
Chips:
let him fight chuck

Post #26   1/28/07 1:57:32AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tffdwg38

let him fight chuck

Chuck would tool him right off the bat... gotta let him fight a couple of lesser fighters before he gets a shot at the title... Let him get used to the drop in weight...

And then let Chuck work him over.

Post #27   1/28/07 8:03:01AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
the thing that really bothers me about Vera is how he came out to say he wanted to be the Heavy Weight and Light Heavy Weight champion. And now he talks about how he doesn't want to cut weight and only wants a expedition match with Chuck? It almost sounds like he is scared of looseing and possibly scared of Cro-Cop. But I don't blame him for wanting a bigger pay check, but you also have to be resoniable too. Why would he deserve to get paid what a champion gets paid when he's never been a champion in the big shows? I had a alot of hope for Vera, but lately he has really dissapointed me.

Post #28   1/28/07 2:29:00PM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:
Vera's going to get GSP syndrome if he's put up against Sylvia at this stage, although confident I don't think he'll want to screw up his chance at future contention by walking into a fight with Sylvia or even Crocop (yikes) and get his head kicked off in the first 2 minutes.

Brandon Vera is going to continue to improve and he knows that as well, when he feels ready for a title shot to the point to where he can feel confident being in the ring with veterans such as Crocop or Sylvia he'll gladly step up.

Post #29   1/28/07 4:00:31PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I think he is ready. I just think he's scared of loosing.

Post #30   1/28/07 5:30:33PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2