Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What's going on with Vera?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

NutBar

Learning to Sprawl

NutBar Avatar

Career:19-12
Chips:
It seemed like he pretty confident and like was ready to take a crack at the Syvlia and the heavyweight title. Haven't heard a thing about him fighting again in a while. I know he had 1 fight left on his contract, so maybe that has something to do with it? They didn't want to have a potential heavyweight champ who's shopping around somewhere else?

Post #1   1/15/07 5:50:21PM   

Uchiha

Learning to Sprawl

Career:20-14
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
i think if he still had 1 fight left they'll feed him some random no namer or someone the ufc think can beat him then just let him leave to pride

Post #2   1/15/07 8:42:49PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Chips:
That's probably right. Brandon Vera has great potential, and I would have picked him to win over Sylvia any day. I'm curious to know what's going on with him. Maybe he's scared of Cro Cop, but going over to Pride and Fedor wouldn't make much sense either.

Post #3   1/15/07 8:51:22PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
According to the wrestling observer he asked for a ridiculous signing bonus and contract. Also, he showed up the showtime press conference for thier new promotion and his agent said that the UFC could keep him , but the new promotion had money too. He went on to say the UFC no longer has a US monopoly and they would have to pay to keep him. I think Vera/Sylvia could have gone either way. However, I think he wanted all that money, because he knew he was gonna get KO'oed by crocop regardless if he beat Tim. If he leaves the UFC it probably won't be to pride, because they won't pay him enough to go to a place with a deeper heavyweight division. He probably will go to the Showtime show and be a big fish in a small pond, If he stays in the UFC I'm wrong and he will still have a lot of my respect. I think he should stay and if he gets beat drop to Lightheavy and fight Chuck, The UFC could sell both title fights and it will show he fears no one.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   1/15/07 9:24:00PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
I personally doubt Vera would beat Tim, another example of people jumping on the bandwagon of somebody who is yet to even fight a top ten contender yet can suddenly take out the UFC champ

I'm not exactly saying that he wouldn't or couldn't, just I don't understand the disrespect towards Slyvia who has proved over and over again that he deserves his place at the top (for now), however boring he might be.

Post #5   1/15/07 9:59:34PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I agree Tim is definately a top 5 HVY. However styles make fights, and I think anybody with good leg kicks has a good shot against Tim. So I still give him 50/50 shot. It's sucks for him that so many people don't appreciate the fact that he's always fought hard , and never ducked anybody

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #6   1/15/07 10:03:37PM   

thepitbull00

MMA Regular

thepitbull00 Avatar

Career:2,387-1,677
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I heard he wanted a big signing bonus but Dana said no so he's shopping himself around. They'll put him on an undercard fight later this year to finish out his contract.

Post #7   1/15/07 11:39:42PM   

TheArtOfWar

Learning to Sprawl

TheArtOfWar Avatar

Career:229-159
Chips:
I hope they ll give him Kongo for his last contract fight

Last edited 1/16/07 2:54AM server time by TheArtOfWar
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/16/07 2:54:21AM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:
Vera vs Herring or Arlovski to finish the one fight contract and then we will see where it goes. He would be stupid to leave the UFC now. He has a future there and the money will come in time.

Hope he stays in the UFC.

Post #9   1/17/07 3:24:18AM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Chips:
In all of the interviews with Vera that I've read, all he talks about is money...I don't think he wants to put in the time and effort to climb his way up to the top, he's just looking for a quick paycheck.

Post #10   1/17/07 8:35:30AM   

www-WeLoan-us

Standup Guy

www-WeLoan-us Avatar

Career:258-161
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
there has been rumors that Vera wanted more $$ than the UFC was willing to pay and he might end up in pride. Hopefully they can work it out if not expect to see Vera face a lower end fighter on a under card fight.

Post #11   1/17/07 9:41:16AM   

WaikruMass

Learning to Sprawl

WaikruMass Avatar

Career:55-26
Camp: MASS_MMA
Chips:
contract disputes. He only has one fight left on his UFC contract and they wont give him a title fight, and all of that leverage if he wins without a contract. So they're going to sit him for 8 months, give him an undercard and let him go.

Post #12   1/17/07 10:33:23AM   

NutBar

Learning to Sprawl

NutBar Avatar

Career:19-12
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

If the stalemate continues .they should serve him up to Cro-cop for his 2nd UFC fight.

Man I would LOL if Dana gave Vera his last fight and it was vs CC... man what a parting gift for not agreeing to sign up

Post #13   1/17/07 1:45:55PM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

If the stalemate continues .they should serve him up to Cro-cop for his 2nd UFC fight. However , I think they want to bury him, and not give him a chance to showcase himself on PPV. I think Cro-cop would KO him, but if he looked good against him for a while it would probably help his career. I'm pretty sure Dana is so pissed he won't even give him that. I'm firmly beleive the only reason they talked Coutre out of retirement is that they needed someone they could market to take Vera's place aginst Sylvia.

Sounds about right. Too bad money gets in the way so much. Alot of good fights could be had if they work it out. I would like to see Vera truly tested. I was very dissapointed in the Mir fight.

Post #14   1/17/07 2:55:29PM   

roninthomas

Learning to Sprawl

roninthomas Avatar

Career:31-25
Camp: Chute Boxe
Chips:
Vera should drop to lightheavy. he has a good chance of taking the belt from Chuck. With Cro Cop in the ranks of the UFC it would be a good time to drop down.

Post #15   1/17/07 4:29:17PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2