Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones-Glover Teixeira, Mir-Overeem top UFC 169 on Super Bowl weekend

Print  
Posted By Message

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,474-834
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It was the hot likelihood, and now it's a done deal: Jon Jones will defend his light heavyweight title on Super Bowl weekend against Glover Teixeira.

The title fight between Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) and Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will headline what now will be the UFC 169 pay-per-view on Feb. 1 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. In addition, a heavyweight bout between former UFC champ Frank Mir (16-8 MMA, 14-8 UFC) and former Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem (36-13 MMA, 1-2 UFC) has been moved from UFC 167 in November and may wind up serving as the card's co-main event, though that is not yet official.

The news was reported Thursday night by Newsday and later confirmed by UFC officials.

LINK

Post #1   10/4/13 1:01:11AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mir-Overeem is such a shit fight. That shit shouldn't co-main TNA Wrestling. Mir has been KO'ed more than anyone in UFC history. I don't even need to look that up, I know that. Mir makes Jonathan Goulet look like Mark Hunt. And as for Overeem, talk about a flop.... that dude is just looking to prove to Dana he's a bum. I honestly can't recall caring less about a "big name" fight.

Post #2   10/4/13 8:10:11AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,059-615
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Well at least this extends at least one of their employment with the UFC by two months. Loser leaves town match for sure.

Post #3   10/4/13 8:57:34AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,803-1,537
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Mir-Overeem is such a shit fight. That shit shouldn't co-main TNA Wrestling. Mir has been KO'ed more than anyone in UFC history. I don't even need to look that up, I know that. Mir makes Jonathan Goulet look like Mark Hunt. And as for Overeem, talk about a flop.... that dude is just looking to prove to Dana he's a bum. I honestly can't recall caring less about a "big name" fight.

Money I'm heart broken you would shit on the Reem like that knowing I would eventually come on this thread you ass

Post #4   10/4/13 9:00:26AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by pmoney

Money I'm heart broken you would shit on the Reem like that knowing I would eventually come on this thread you ass

Nick Diaz is an uneducated fool

I got your back Sparky. WAR 905

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #5   10/4/13 9:55:31AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,990-1,064
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Ussually when the ufc has a big name low value co main event like this they will add a solid 3rd top fight. Can't imagine they won't for such a big card like the super bowl weekend one. I'm hoping for Wandy vs Sonnen. They will prob throw Ben Henderson on this card as well

Post #6   10/4/13 11:55:43AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Two reasons why I opted for Texas in Oct
Instead of much hyped gsp Vegas card in Nov

One.

Got tired of Vegas fight for past year and a half
Wanted to travel to a city besides Vegas

2nd

UFC loves to fuck Vegas good
All those fans paying for a stacked card
Vegas too good to be true. Ufc always pulls fights out of Vegas for other cards
Like Korean zombie vs lamas in july
Last July Faber vs barao

Pretty fucked up to charge tickets to a event then pull fighters off the card. Mir vs reem is a big fight.

I would have been fucking pissed if I shelled out 500 bills
For this card to lose a main event fight to another one.

Watch. UFC will do it to UFC 168 as well

Post #7   10/4/13 1:49:11PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
I'm a Glover fan, but he has zero chance vs Jones. Both those fights are lop sided wins. I'd rather see two equal B levels than lop sided names.

Post #8   10/4/13 3:44:40PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

I'm a Glover fan, but he has zero chance vs Jones. Both those fights are lop sided wins. I'd rather see two equal B levels than lop sided names.

I'm curious as to which side you think the co-main is lopsided toward? Me personally I think the match up favors the Reem. As for Glover, yeah, I don't give him much of a shot. Honestly, with his punching power and seeing as we seem to have seen in Jones' fight with Gustafsson that he isn't as effective when being pressured and having to move backwards, I think I'd just bull rush him out of the gates and hope it catches Jones off guard and that something lands on his chin. That may well be the best shot Glover has at beating him. I like Glover but it's a bad match up stylistically imo.

Post #9   10/4/13 4:51:37PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:
???? Reem and Jones by utter domination. That's coming from a Glover, Jones and Mir fan. Mir is done and Glover just isn't going to land that big shot on Jones. It will look like Jones vs Rampage.

Last edited 10/4/13 7:36PM server time by lll-lll
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   10/4/13 7:27:44PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Chips:
BTW I am a firm believer that guys at the stage of their career that Mir is should go to the Senior Circuit, as I call it, and fight other aging names, not contenders. Although I agree with whoever called him a big bust, Reem is still a contender. Mir is done being a contender. However I think he can still give us enjoyable fights vs older big name fighters. He needs to continue to fight the Barnetts of the world, not guys like Reem who will murder him.

Post #11   10/4/13 7:35:36PM