Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Chuck Liddell doesn't want to watch Georges St. Pierre 'playing it safe'

Print  
  Page 2 of 13     1     2     3     4     5   >>
Posted By Message

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,830-894
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by OnyxShadow

I also remember a fight or two where Liddell played it safe also...

Which fights?

Chuck/Wandy...both guys very cautious of the other...until the last minute, anyway.

And one of his first UFCs...don't remember which one, though. Maybe Belfort?

Post #16   10/3/13 12:06:08AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

"only bitches tap to strikes"- Chuck Lidell

Chuck never got the chance to tap as he kept getting KTFO

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #17   10/3/13 12:15:45AM   

Samps

MMA Regular

Samps Avatar

Career:610-346
Chips:
Knock him out Johny!

Post #18   10/3/13 12:15:55AM   

NikkiNeversleep

MMA Regular

NikkiNeversleep Avatar

Career:129-101
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by NikkiNeversleep

But anyone who avoids going for the finish because it's "too risky" and openly admits to it, is a coward in my eyes. Just being honest, his fighting tactics dont bother me so much as his mentality.

Really??? GSP is a coward???? im sorry but anyone who steps into the octagon is not a coward, pure and simple; let alone one of the most dominate champs in UFC history. he is the biggest money maker in the UFC; he has millions riding on each match and is the champ. A lose for him means a lot more than anyone else.

Yes, he has a coward's mentality towards fighting. Being a fighter by profession does not exempt someone from being a coward to some extent.

Post #19   10/3/13 12:29:44AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:640-344
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
So I guess we're all cowards then to some extent right ? Lol

I guess it's just a matter of opinion but I really admire gsp's control when he fights, he rarely let's guys get in a dominant position over him and when they do he reverses quickly. He may not finish but he sure does fuck the faces of the guys he has fought. Remember fitch, koscheck, Serra.

Post #20   10/3/13 1:53:40AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,436-881
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I'm not denying that GSP is dominant and super talented, and imo no one else is either, but I know I for one don't want to see him "playing it safe" and, I'm not saying that I don't like watching wrestlers do what they do. But, when a wrestler does what he does best, I don't want to see him lay there and advance position from time to time to keep from being stood up or whatever and only hit the guy on the bottom with small shots that are more annoying (individually anyway, after a while of getting hit with light shots in the same place it starts to hurt) than anything else. Yes, passing guard and winning the positional battle is ultra impressive, especially against some of the guys gsp has done that too, BUT, if he shows that he can do that consistently, why not go for a finish and show that killer instinct and put them away and show that they don't belong in the same cage as him. Prime example, Cain used his wrestling in the first bigfoot fight and planted him firmly on his ginormous butt, and rather than just try and win the positional battle and be dominant that way, he absolutely brutalized Silva with a gazillion and a half punches to the head leaving silva busted up, bruised, bloody, and broken. In that fight he definitively proved that he is the best person to take JDS' belt. Then what does he do? He goes in there and absolutely brutalizes JDS for a full 25 minutes and turns his face into a near unrecognizable mass of bumps, bruises, swelling and cuts. As dominant as GSP has been, I for one wholeheartedly believe that he could have put on performances like that should he have chosen to do so, and he probably could have done it with relative ease against guys like Dan Hardy and Thiago Alves. He is an extremely dominant champ, and the way he does it consistently is ultra impressive, but I just expect a little more out of the performances of my champs than a guy doing is best snuggie impersonation. I'm not really hating on him, I'm merely stating that he could probably fairly easily be a little more intense and show more killer instinct with minimal threat of him losing.

Post #21   10/3/13 1:54:01AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Chuck was a fighter's fighter. He didn't care about points or winning rounds. I honestly think Chuck would be more ashamed of knowing he had to win on points than getting knocked out. Apples and oranges, though. I can't talk shit on either style since they've both had their own success.

Post #22   10/3/13 2:00:07AM   

NikkiNeversleep

MMA Regular

NikkiNeversleep Avatar

Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

I'm not denying that GSP is dominant and super talented, and imo no one else is either, but I know I for one don't want to see him "playing it safe" and, I'm not saying that I don't like watching wrestlers do what they do. But, when a wrestler does what he does best, I don't want to see him lay there and advance position from time to time to keep from being stood up or whatever and only hit the guy on the bottom with small shots that are more annoying (individually anyway, after a while of getting hit with light shots in the same place it starts to hurt) than anything else. Yes, passing guard and winning the positional battle is ultra impressive, especially against some of the guys gsp has done that too, BUT, if he shows that he can do that consistently, why not go for a finish and show that killer instinct and put them away and show that they don't belong in the same cage as him. Prime example, Cain used his wrestling in the first bigfoot fight and planted him firmly on his ginormous butt, and rather than just try and win the positional battle and be dominant that way, he absolutely brutalized Silva with a gazillion and a half punches to the head leaving silva busted up, bruised, bloody, and broken. In that fight he definitively proved that he is the best person to take JDS' belt. Then what does he do? He goes in there and absolutely brutalizes JDS for a full 25 minutes and turns his face into a near unrecognizable mass of bumps, bruises, swelling and cuts. As dominant as GSP has been, I for one wholeheartedly believe that he could have put on performances like that should he have chosen to do so, and he probably could have done it with relative ease against guys like Dan Hardy and Thiago Alves. He is an extremely dominant champ, and the way he does it consistently is ultra impressive, but I just expect a little more out of the performances of my champs than a guy doing is best snuggie impersonation. I'm not really hating on him, I'm merely stating that he could probably fairly easily be a little more intense and show more killer instinct with minimal threat of him losing.

This.

Post #23   10/3/13 3:19:58AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

I'm not denying that GSP is dominant and super talented, and imo no one else is either, but I know I for one don't want to see him "playing it safe" and, I'm not saying that I don't like watching wrestlers do what they do. But, when a wrestler does what he does best, I don't want to see him lay there and advance position from time to time to keep from being stood up or whatever and only hit the guy on the bottom with small shots that are more annoying (individually anyway, after a while of getting hit with light shots in the same place it starts to hurt) than anything else. Yes, passing guard and winning the positional battle is ultra impressive, especially against some of the guys gsp has done that too, BUT, if he shows that he can do thats consistently, why not go for a finish and show that killer instinct and put them away and show that they don't belong in the same cage as him. Prime example, Cain used his wrestling in the first bigfoot fight and planted him firmly on his ginormous butt, and rather than just try and win the positional battle and be dominant that way, he absolutely brutalized Silva with a gazillion and a half punches to the head leaving silva busted up, bruised, bloody, and broken. In that fight he definitively proved that he is the best person to take JDS' belt. Then what does he do? He goes in there and absolutely brutalizes JDS for a full 25 minutes and turns his face into a near unrecognizable mass of bumps, bruises, swelling and cuts. As dominant as GSP has been, I for one wholeheartedly believe that he could have put on performances like that should he have chosen to do so, and he probably could have done it with relative ease against guys like Dan Hardy and Thiago Alves. He is an extremely dominant champ, and the way he does it consistently is ultra impressive, but I just expect a little more out of the performances of my champs than a guy doing is best snuggie impersonation. I'm not really hating on him, I'm merely stating that he could probably fairly easily be a little more intense and show more killer instinct with minimal threat of him losing.

Good post, but we're gonna have to teach you how to use that enter key

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #24   10/3/13 4:30:46AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,436-881
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

I'm not denying that GSP is dominant and super talented, and imo no one else is either, but I know I for one don't want to see him "playing it safe" and, I'm not saying that I don't like watching wrestlers do what they do. But, when a wrestler does what he does best, I don't want to see him lay there and advance position from time to time to keep from being stood up or whatever and only hit the guy on the bottom with small shots that are more annoying (individually anyway, after a while of getting hit with light shots in the same place it starts to hurt) than anything else. Yes, passing guard and winning the positional battle is ultra impressive, especially against some of the guys gsp has done that too, BUT, if he shows that he can do thats consistently, why not go for a finish and show that killer instinct and put them away and show that they don't belong in the same cage as him. Prime example, Cain used his wrestling in the first bigfoot fight and planted him firmly on his ginormous butt, and rather than just try and win the positional battle and be dominant that way, he absolutely brutalized Silva with a gazillion and a half punches to the head leaving silva busted up, bruised, bloody, and broken. In that fight he definitively proved that he is the best person to take JDS' belt. Then what does he do? He goes in there and absolutely brutalizes JDS for a full 25 minutes and turns his face into a near unrecognizable mass of bumps, bruises, swelling and cuts. As dominant as GSP has been, I for one wholeheartedly believe that he could have put on performances like that should he have chosen to do so, and he probably could have done it with relative ease against guys like Dan Hardy and Thiago Alves. He is an extremely dominant champ, and the way he does it consistently is ultra impressive, but I just expect a little more out of the performances of my champs than a guy doing is best snuggie impersonation. I'm not really hating on him, I'm merely stating that he could probably fairly easily be a little more intense and show more killer instinct with minimal threat of him losing.

Good post, but we're gonna have to teach you how to use that enter key

Enter key? Wtf is that?!

Post #25   10/3/13 4:41:21AM   

NikkiNeversleep

MMA Regular

NikkiNeversleep Avatar

Chips:
^ LOL

Post #26   10/3/13 4:45:38AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:
My only problem with gsp and his style are his lack of subs. Someone with sucha dominant and well rounded game should be able to choke out somebody once in a while.

Post #27   10/3/13 6:16:46AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Here we go again this is Mixed Martial Arts. All you guys/girls dont give St Pierre the credit he deserves.

The man has been fighting nothing but the best the world has to offer for years now and dominating. Playing it safe is just a played out way of all you guys saying you dont enjoy watching wrestlers in MMA.

Reminds me of being at the UFC live.

Wrestling is the strongest base in MMA in my opinion and being able to take a man down over and over again and keep complete control of him for the entire fight is extremely impressive.

The fact of the matter is St Pierre is never in a controversial fight he always destroys the opponent so call it what you want.

Destroy = Hold down for 25 minutes?

Post #28   10/3/13 7:26:03AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:640-344
Chips:
I think by destroy he means dominate. But look at the guys faces he has fought in the past.. Have you ever seen fitch, alves or koschecks faces that fucked up fighting anyone else ? Throw Serra in the mix too.

To me I think the big reason why gsp is so successful is the fact that he is so cautious.. Who's to say that if he went for a finish at a particular time that he could have got reversed or countered or whatever.

Post #29   10/3/13 8:15:43AM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Chips:
I enjoy GSP's fights, its always an easy 11 pts for me.

Post #30   10/3/13 9:00:37AM   

Page 2 of 13     1     2     3     4     5   >>