Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shields/Maia

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,135-655
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Honestly, I think Maia is better literally everywhere and Jake's wrestling has been overrated for years.

I agree. Shields has been riding his strikeforce success for quite some time. I don't think any of his fights in the ufc have been impressive.

Post #16   9/29/13 8:40:01AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Maia by domination. As has already been stated, Maia is better in almost every facet of the ground game. I firmly believe that Maia is the best grappler in MMA today, including that of Jacare. And Maia is light years ahead of Shields in the striking department.

Fitch is a better grappler than Shields is, and look what Demian did to him.

Last edited 9/29/13 12:12PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   9/29/13 12:11:53PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Maia by domination. As has already been stated, Maia is better in almost every facet of the ground game. I firmly believe that Maia is the best grappler in MMA today, including that of Jacare. And Maia is light years ahead of Shields in the striking department.

well Belfort is a better striker than Weidman and look what Silva did to him

on topic though, imo Shields has better cardio and if this fight goes into the championship rounds, Jake will have an advantage. But this fight is in Brazil and Maia is looking good at 170 (for 15 minutes anyways) so Maia UD is the most likely outcome

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #18   9/29/13 12:46:22PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:3,138-1,716
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think this fight could be similar to Maia's fight with Fitch.

Post #19   9/29/13 12:53:28PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Beat thing for maia was to drop to 170
He is like a few fights away from a title fight

Post #20   9/29/13 1:40:47PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,916-1,505
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by warglory

well Belfort is a better striker than Weidman and look what Silva did to him

on topic though, imo Shields has better cardio and if this fight goes into the championship rounds, Jake will have an advantage. But this fight is in Brazil and Maia is looking good at 170 (for 15 minutes anyways) so Maia UD is the most likely outcome

Jakes cardio isnt very good and especially when he is at 170

Post #21   9/29/13 3:15:54PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,321-858
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Awesome guys. really good feedback

I am more confident then ever in picking maia now

Ill try to prop everyone in this thread for posting

If you don't get one I gotta spread the love or I hit the daily limit

Post #22   9/29/13 3:31:36PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:3,138-1,716
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I would give Shields a better chance if this fight was at 185 pounds, but it's at 170 so I'm taking Maia.

Post #23   9/29/13 4:33:39PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,552-908
Chips:
Shields does not belong at 170, he looks anorexic and fights anemic at 170, probably the worst thing he has ever done in his career.

Post #24   9/29/13 6:51:27PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by warglory

To be fair to Fitch, Maia was physically bigger. If Shields and Maia showed up on fight night looking similar in weight, I doubt Maia will be able to manhandle Shields like Maia did to Fitch.

Post #25   9/29/13 8:51:06PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,834-1,785
Chips:
I am not even messing around when I say this: The only fight that Shields has ever impressed me in was against Dan Henderson. He bores the ever living shit out of me!

Post #26   9/30/13 1:03:09AM   

tattflash

Belt Contender

tattflash Avatar

Career:2,753-1,954
Chips:

I am not even messing around when I say this: The only fight that Shields has ever impressed me in was against Dan Henderson. He bores the ever living shit out of me!

Cant argue with that statement, or the fact the Maia is better every where

Last edited 9/30/13 7:07AM server time by tattflash

Post #27   9/30/13 7:06:27AM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,309-1,408
Chips:

I agree with you, but I'd throw in Robbie Lawler/Shields fight as well.

Post #28   9/30/13 3:24:48PM   

NikkiNeversleep

MMA Regular

NikkiNeversleep Avatar

Career:134-107
Chips:

Posted by george112

Convince me

This should be fun. Lets start by breaking them down as fighters.
Maia is a world class BJJ blackbelt, who's been developing his striking, but everyone knows his strength is grappling. His wrestling is excellent, and his strength at 170lbs has a borderline freak of nature semblance about it.
Shields is a well trained wrestler, versed in Gracie Jiu Jitsu. He uses kicks very well to set up clinch work, and his puches while lacking power, help him turn over a takedown almost effortlessy when hes at his best.
Here's why I pick Maia (apart from just liking him lulz)
Shields has a tendency to offset his stance when throwing a legkick or lead hand hook just enough to make him vulnerable to a takedown, now usually he is the more skilled grappler so this isnt an issue, but Maia is the better grappler in this case Danger #1.
Shield also tends to dip his head during clinch work, which limits visibility and dulls reaction time. A skilled grappler like Maia could quickly take his back or pick his knee for a TD. Danger #2.
Shields' top game, while impressive, relies heavily on his wrestling background. As a result he stays very top heavy, exerting pressure towards his chest, shoulders, and elbows and hips keep a natural U lift. This is a "no-no" in BJJ because of Spiderweb Armbar, Hip lift sweeps, etc. Again not usually an issue for Shields, when hes the better grappler.
Danger #3.
Convinced?

Last edited 10/1/13 7:09AM server time by nikkineversleep

Post #29   10/1/13 7:07:42AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,321-858
Chips:

Posted by NikkiNeversleep

Posted by george112

Convince me

This should be fun. Lets start by breaking them down as fighters.
Maia is a world class BJJ blackbelt, who's been developing his striking, but everyone knows his strength is grappling. His wrestling is excellent, and his strength at 170lbs has a borderline freak of nature semblance about it.
Shields is a well trained wrestler, versed in Gracie Jiu Jitsu. He uses kicks very well to set up clinch work, and his puches while lacking power, help him turn over a takedown almost effortlessy when hes at his best.
Here's why I pick Maia (apart from just liking him lulz)
Shields has a tendency to offset his stance when throwing a legkick or lead hand hook just enough to make him vulnerable to a takedown, now usually he is the more skilled grappler so this isnt an issue, but Maia is the better grappler in this case Danger #1.
Shield also tends to dip his head during clinch work, which limits visibility and dulls reaction time. A skilled grappler like Maia could quickly take his back or pick his knee for a TD. Danger #2.
Shields' top game, while impressive, relies heavily on his wrestling background. As a result he stays very top heavy, exerting pressure towards his chest, shoulders, and elbows and hips keep a natural U lift. This is a "no-no" in BJJ because of Spiderweb Armbar, Hip lift sweeps, etc. Again not usually an issue for Shields, when hes the better grappler.
Danger #3.
Convinced?

Somewhat. However I think the fight will be alot closer than people are making it to be.

But even while thinking that, Ill be picking Maia as everyone has said enough about him

Post #30   10/1/13 8:18:37AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3