Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Trainer Pederneiras: Renan Barao losing money, Jose Aldo still wants Pettis

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Nova Uniao head trainer Andre Pederneiras said most of his fighters come from the favela, and they're literally fighting to put food on their tables.

One star pupil, UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao (31-1 MMA, 6-0 UFC), grew up poor, but no longer needs to live hand to mouth. Pederneiras, however, said the fighter isn't maximizing opportunity while he's very near the top of the 135-pound class.

Just this past weekend at UFC 165, Barao became the first fighter in UFC history to twice defend an interim belt when he stopped Eddie Wineland. The performance won Barao a $50,000 bonus for "Knockout of the Night" as well as his show and win purses.

Barao is making more money as he continues to dominate the competition in the UFC, but according to Pederneiras, he could be making far more from other sources...

Full Story

Post #1   9/26/13 5:20:31PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,135-655
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm not sure who to be annoyed with, but the situation is annoying nonetheless regarding Barao.

As for Aldo, he has plenty of contenders and so does Pettis. It's amusing that the very people who complain about divisions being logjammed are so hell bent on this fight, despite it logjamming 2 divisions at once.

Post #2   9/26/13 8:03:50PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,587-973
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

As for Aldo, he has plenty of contenders and so does Pettis. It's amusing that the very people who complain about divisions being logjammed are so hell bent on this fight, despite it logjamming 2 divisions at once.

The only way I want this fight to happen is if one of them vacates their belt to challenge for the belt at the new weight class with the intent to stay at that weight. For that reason, I'd like to see Aldo vacate and move up. The weight cut is clearly having an effect on his performance at FW, and his conditioning is becoming more than a little suspect now days. Add on to that the recent bout with kidney stones, I think the time is right. I am no doctor, and by no means an expert on the weight cutting process, but if I recall my facts right, it's no secret that cutting weight has a fairly significant impact on a person's kidney, so I wouldn't think it would be a stretch to think that there is a chance that the strain the cut is putting on his body and his kidneys may have played a contributing role in him developing the kidney stones. If somebody isn't vacating the belt, then just stay in your damn divisions and let the people who actually compete in the FW and LW divisions have their shot at the belt until either the divisions are cleaned out or one person loses their belt and drops/goes up to fight in the other division.

Post #3   9/26/13 8:30:20PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,975-1,623
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by airkerma

The only way I want this fight to happen is if one of them vacates their belt to challenge for the belt at the new weight class with the intent to stay at that weight. For that reason, I'd like to see Aldo vacate and move up. The weight cut is clearly having an effect on his performance at FW, and his conditioning is becoming more than a little suspect now days. Add on to that the recent bout with kidney stones, I think the time is right. I am no doctor, and by no means an expert on the weight cutting process, but if I recall my facts right, it's no secret that cutting weight has a fairly significant impact on a person's kidney, so I wouldn't think it would be a stretch to think that there is a chance that the strain the cut is putting on his body and his kidneys may have played a contributing role in him developing the kidney stones. If somebody isn't vacating the belt, then just stay in your damn divisions and let the people who actually compete in the FW and LW divisions have their shot at the belt until either the divisions are cleaned out or one person loses their belt and drops/goes up to fight in the other division.

I'm the complete opposite I want to see Aldo vs Pettis happen extremely bad.

I say a 5 rd non title fight. I dont care what weight class its at as long as it happens. I only say non title fight because neither guy is capable of defending both belts. Once this fight is over and all is settled its back to regularly scheduled programming Pettis vs Grant & Aldo vs Lamas.

Post #4   9/26/13 8:36:51PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,587-973
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

I'm the complete opposite I want to see Aldo vs Pettis happen extremely bad.

I say a 5 rd non title fight. I dont care what weight class its at as long as it happens. I only say non title fight because neither guy is capable of defending both belts. Once this fight is over and all is settled its back to regularly scheduled programming Pettis vs Grant & Aldo vs Lamas.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see that fight. If it were announced tomorrow I'd be happier than a fat kid in candy store. That said, I would also feel for the people who got put on the back burner or had to take a fight to stay active and lost thus lost their spot as a contender. There is no better example, I don't think, than when one of my favorite LWs, Jim Miller, was wrecking people and was clearly the #1 contender back when all the rematches Edgar was doing was going on and I believe it was around the time of the maynard rematch after the draw so Miller took another fight to stay active and lost which also sent him back to the drawing board when he had been next in line for a shot at the belt. It makes me really feel for those guys who are clearly deserving but continue to get the shaft for fights that are bigger draws for PPV numbers or whatever, like Hendricks getting the shaft for Diaz, a guy who was coming off a loss, and Machida who, imo, should have had the shot at the belt getting the shaft for Sonnen to fight for it.

Post #5   9/26/13 8:52:31PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
to be fair, Machida turned down the offer to fight Jones initially. And don't forget Pettis also lost his initial title shot when Guida took the unofficial WEC LW belt from him

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   9/27/13 12:01:54AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,133-655
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:
I agree he is probably losing money, but if they strip Cruz of the belt there will still be that dark cloud over Barao's head that he is not the real champ as he didnt beat the real champ. It's really a no win situation for him, but given the options, I think they should strip the belt from Cruz if he cannot fight by January/February.

Post #7   9/27/13 9:44:53AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Dude just took home an extra $50,000 to Brazil! He will survive. I find it hard to believe that he would pick up many more sponsors for the unification fight. Has it effected him on past fights? I'm sure it has but that's kinda water under the bridge now isn't it

Post #8   9/27/13 9:59:24AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,072-1,101
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If he cares about sponsors maybe he should learn some English.

Post #9   9/27/13 11:39:03AM