Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White says Jon Jones will fight Glover Teixeira next, likely on Super Bowl weekend card in New Jersey

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC president Dana White confirms that Jon Jones' next fight will not be an immediate rematch against Alexander Gustafsson, but an early 2014 title defense against Glover Teixeira.

Link

Post #1   9/26/13 11:31:36AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,167-622
Chips:
I like this plan of putting Teixera in there next even though Jones/Gustafsson was close. Providing Jones gets past Texeira and Gus gets past his next opponent, they should do the rematch early Summer 2014.

Post #2   9/26/13 11:54:42AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Chips:
It is ultimately better for the Division, however I am a bit surprised as he has done the back to back to back rematches in the past screwing over the deserving on multiple occasions (Johnny Hendricks).

Post #3   9/26/13 12:07:09PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Jones vs Teixeira will be a classic fight.

Its only a matter of time before we see Jones vs Gustafsson II

And when we do something tells me it will be even better the second time around.

Post #4   9/26/13 12:16:06PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,795-1,540
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Teixeira could win the title, I think he's a more dangerous opponent than Gustafsson was.

Last edited 9/26/13 1:36PM server time by tepid55
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/26/13 1:34:54PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,130-798
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
So I guess it will be Gus vs Glover in late Spring, early Summer.

Post #6   9/26/13 1:54:06PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

So I guess it will be Gus vs Glover in late Spring, early Summer.

For a #1 contender bout for a rematch? yeah I could see that

Post #7   9/26/13 2:29:10PM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,010-590
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I'm fine with this, but it does make Jones look like he is ducking / scared of Gustufson. I know he is not, but images are important for champs to win over the masses, build large fan bases and to silence the detractors. For as dominant as Jones is, he sure has a hard time winning over fans, especially hardcore MMA fans and I do not think this helps.

Post #8   9/26/13 2:49:12PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,904-1,018
Chips:
Not really a fan of Jones skipping alex, I'm glad HE thinks HE won on HIS scorecard so there is no need for a rematch

The truth is watch mmahour earlier this week, Sonnen, Weidman, Hardy & a few others all think Alex had him beat. A lot of mma fans think he had him beat. & hell if you have to be taken off on a stretcher at the end of the night while alex left on his own feet i dont care if you won on the scorecards that's a loss in real life. I think Jones would win a rematch but going back on his word after offering alex a rematch is not a good look.

I think that's my problem with Jones, he goes back on his word a lot. Remember how he didn't want to rematch Machida because "the ppv numbers" weren't good? If that really is his priority the choice for his next fight is obvious, A rematch with alex would do big business; can't say the same for a fight with Glover. Fans finally saw Jones has an equal in his division & instead of smashing him to show the world the first fight was a fluke he turns on his word & wants to fight a "rampage with better grappling".

& for those who say not skipping Glover is the right thing to do, in most cases I agree but when you see a fight like alex & jones had im sorry you rebook that right away for the fans. Plus its not like a win over a top 10 opponent would actually hurt Glovers claim for a shot at the belt.

All I'm saying is Jones should be going all Apollo Creed on us demanding a rematch "because that chump" got Lucky & he wants to prove it. Instead were getting him shrugging off the historical fight like it didn't happen "to do what's right" .... ask jones if he would give Evans a rematch though

Post #9   9/26/13 4:06:24PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Sucks fight is in jersey.

Likely next ppv next year will be Aldo or
Barao vs Cruz title fight.

Post #10   9/26/13 4:28:58PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:997-529
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I kind of look at Glover the same way as I look at TJ grant. He is in the number one contender spot, but there is a much more sexy rematch that everybody else wants to see. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Post #11   9/26/13 8:03:09PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Not really a fan of Jones skipping alex, I'm glad HE thinks HE won on HIS scorecard so there is no need for a rematch

The truth is watch mmahour earlier this week, Sonnen, Weidman, Hardy & a few others all think Alex had him beat. A lot of mma fans think he had him beat. & hell if you have to be taken off on a stretcher at the end of the night while alex left on his own feet i dont care if you won on the scorecards that's a loss in real life. I think Jones would win a rematch but going back on his word after offering alex a rematch is not a good look.

I think that's my problem with Jones, he goes back on his word a lot. Remember how he didn't want to rematch Machida because "the ppv numbers" weren't good? If that really is his priority the choice for his next fight is obvious, A rematch with alex would do big business; can't say the same for a fight with Glover. Fans finally saw Jones has an equal in his division & instead of smashing him to show the world the first fight was a fluke he turns on his word & wants to fight a "rampage with better grappling".

& for those who say not skipping Glover is the right thing to do, in most cases I agree but when you see a fight like alex & jones had im sorry you rebook that right away for the fans. Plus its not like a win over a top 10 opponent would actually hurt Glovers claim for a shot at the belt.

All I'm saying is Jones should be going all Apollo Creed on us demanding a rematch "because that chump" got Lucky & he wants to prove it. Instead were getting him shrugging off the historical fight like it didn't happen "to do what's right" .... ask jones if he would give Evans a rematch though

Jones won on the only 3 scorecards that mattered. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

If anyone has something to prove its Gustafsson, who wants to prove he is the better fighter. He'll get his chance after Glover.

Post #12   9/26/13 8:57:15PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,904-1,018
Chips:
I don't know man, like I said you leave the arena on a stretcher & unable to breathe you have to prove it to yourself. Especially when my profession is to Fight for a living, plus Glover doesn't even have top 10 wins. Its not like whrn Hendricks got skipped, that was a travesty

Post #13   9/26/13 11:15:11PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

I don't know man, like I said you leave the arena on a stretcher & unable to breathe you have to prove it to yourself. Especially when my profession is to Fight for a living, plus Glover doesn't even have top 10 wins. Its not like whrn Hendricks got skipped, that was a travesty

It's not like he left that way because of anything Gustafsson did to him.
He injured his foot kicking the guy in the head over and over again.

Gustafsson and Glover both have the same amount of wins over top 10 fighters, but Gustafsson is coming off a loss (albeit a very close loss) while Glover is the one riding a win streak.

You don't get an immediate rematch for being close...immediate rematches are for champs who lose their belts.

Post #14   9/26/13 11:45:54PM