Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones believes Alexander Gustafsson should not get an immediate rematch

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,099-666
Chips:
It was a close decision, but I think a small majority had Jones winning. Gustaffson should be put in a #1 contender's fight with Phil Davis (who beat him), and Teixeira should get the shot.

Post #16   9/26/13 11:14:42AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,595-1,399
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't think it matters if this fight is immediate or not, it's bound to happen again with how good the first one was.

Post #17   9/26/13 11:56:57AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Every time Jones gets hurt in a fight, he's always against rematches lol. Machida hurt him and he doesn't want any part of Machida now. Gus spanked him and according to many Gus won and now he wants none of Gus. Such a great champion, isn't he? Definitely P4P!

This.

This isn't an immediate rematch "for no good reason" like someone said.

There is a very good reason. Guss got screwed.

Post #18   9/26/13 12:10:24PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,374-939
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Can anyone blame him? He doesn't want to get beat up again and have the judges get the score card right I think.

Post #19   9/26/13 1:56:16PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,496-1,495
Chips:
yeah i wont want to fight someone after i just got my ass kicked too and the only mark Jones left on Alex was stitches to the head, while Jones had IV hooked up and looking like Quasimodo..lol

Post #20   9/26/13 3:05:39PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,196-759
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

yeah i wont want to fight someone after i just got my ass kicked too and the only mark Jones left on Alex was stitches to the head, while Jones had IV hooked up and looking like Quasimodo..lol

yea and i don't understand why people wouldn't want to watch them fight again, immediately

one of the best fights i ever seen and people want gus to go to the back of the line

Post #21   9/26/13 3:33:46PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

True, but the only person in any danger of being stopped in the fight was Gus in Round 4. If there had been another 30 seconds left in that round there would be no controversy or question about who gets the next shot.

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

yea and i don't understand why people wouldn't want to watch them fight again, immediately

one of the best fights i ever seen and people want gus to go to the back of the line

I don't want Gus to go to the back of the line, I'd just like to see Glover get the next crack with Gus taking on the winner.

I think immediate rematches should be reserved for champions who have lost the belt after an extended period of defenses. If Gus were to get one right now and win we'd have to have a 3rd fight before Glover would ever get his crack.

There's nothing wrong with making Gus win 1 more fight before getting his rematch.

Post #22   9/26/13 4:17:01PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

True, but the only person in any danger of being stopped in the fight was Gus in Round 4. If there had been another 30 seconds left in that round there would be no controversy or question about who gets the next shot.

The same can be said about Sonnen vs Jones. If the ref let the fight go 30 more seconds til the end of the round, Sonnen would have been the new champion

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #23   9/27/13 12:12:19AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

The same can be said about Sonnen vs Jones. If the ref let the fight go 30 more seconds til the end of the round, Sonnen would have been the new champion

I'm not sure how a toe injury would be the same as being knocked out...but I guess technically the doctor probably would have stopped the fight if Jones hadn't finished Sonnen first.

Regardless, judging a fight based on post fight injuries doesn't mean anything. I was just pointing out an equally absurd way to score the fight.

All 3 judges, nearly every media outlet, and the President of the company all thought the scorecards were right.

I guess its to be expected though, in any close fight there will always be fans claiming it was a robbery.

Personally I didn't care one bit who got the decision, it was a spectacular fight and I look forward to the rematch whenever it happens.

Post #24   9/27/13 12:51:57AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG
I'm not sure how a toe injury would be the same as being knocked out...but I guess technically the doctor probably would have stopped the fight if Jones hadn't finished Sonnen first.

Regardless, judging a fight based on post fight injuries doesn't mean anything. I was just pointing out an equally absurd way to score the fight.

All 3 judges, nearly every media outlet, and the President of the company all thought the scorecards were right.

I guess its to be expected though, in any close fight there will always be fans claiming it was a robbery.

Personally I didn't care one bit who got the decision, it was a spectacular fight and I look forward to the rematch whenever it happens.

The toe injury would be the same thing as Belfort winning via cut as both would have been champions

I'm going to go KFM style and state my conspiracy theory in that Dana doesn't want to say Jones lost because he is a posterboy and has been shoving down our throats how Jon is the top 2 (now #1) p4p guy in the world. He attached his cart to the Jones bandwagon and went all in since Silva got KTFO. Using the 3 judges is a weak argument imo as we all have seen terrible judging in every event. Yes them 3 are the only ones that matter but they also responsible for some of the worst decisions in combat sports history. There are many fighters who scored the fight for Gustafsson, I would take their word over media members...and most of the fan base that I have talked to and seen on other forums (ie sherdog) say Gus won

Very close fight, you know my stance on it, and I do agree post fight results do not weigh into the decision but it just adds fuel to those who say damage should be the main criteria when scoring a fight

Last edited 9/27/13 9:25AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #25   9/27/13 9:24:52AM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,196-759
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:
All I'm saying is if the second fight would be as good as the first fight i would be up to watch a third. as far as i'm concerned glover can wait or fight a couple more times until gus and bones are done with their business. that first fight was to good to pass on a rematch. not to mention glover is overhyped in my opinion and would get demolished by jones

Post #26   9/27/13 10:16:42AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2