Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bjj- what do you like more top or bottom position and why ?

Print  
Posted By Message

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:771-424
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Hey guys, been doing bjj now for about 6 months and I am totally addicted.

Just curious what positions you feel most comfortable in and why ?

For me, I really love being in bottom position. I am quite tall and am able to put both legs behind my head ( if someone props me up ) my legs are just flexible and I feel it's hard for people to pass my guard... I enjoy bottom subs like triangles and omaplata the most...don't get me wrong though, I do like being on top and if the sweep is their I go for it. I just naturally pull guard and like being on bottom, also doing a lot more x guard and dela heva... Practise practise practise !

My first comp is tomorrow and my plan is to pull guard.. Wish me luck and looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Post #1   9/21/13 5:28:27AM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,579-969
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I love having people in my guard. Messed up as this may sound, I feel that it may be the most offensive position in terms of amount of limbs you can snatch up and take home with you and overall versatility of the position. So much you can do from there. I have god awful wrestling. Like if there was a level of wrestling that is lower than nonexistent I would be there, so pulling guard is my go to move. I'm 5'11 1/2", but I'm built really long and lanky, and I have uncanny flexibility in my legs and can throw stuff up from odd positions. Like you said, if there is a chance for me to seize and take control of top position, I'm going to do it, and I think you'd be a fool not to. Still, working from my guard is my bread and butter, and I love when people get careless or overconfident sitting in it. It makes locking up that choke, or snatching up that arm for the tap that much sweeter.

Post #2   9/21/13 5:40:51AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,539-904
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I being only am mma no gi practitioner believe bottom is more comfortable for average guys like me against better bjj practioner because there are more things to defend from the top. And I'm speaking no gi

Post #3   9/21/13 8:37:22AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,957-1,617
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I like my ladies on top

Someone had to do it

Post #4   9/21/13 11:21:30AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Bjj as a sport with points unless your going to sub everyone you need to be on top. I was always comfortable rolling in the gym on my back but I felt like in competing my willingness to go to my back always created too much opportunity for my competitor to score. I was a blue belt and only competed in no GI. So take it for what its worth.

Post #5   9/21/13 12:10:29PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I've never done jujitsu unfortunately. There was a point in time when I first became a fan of mma where my friends and I would grapple a few times a week in my buddy's basement though. I learned everything I knew just from watching fights so I was missing A LOT of technique. I always had a hard time getting anything from the top position. Kimuras were the easiest to get but eventually my friend caught on and was able to defend it most of the time. My favourite sub was always locking on a triangle from my guard.

Post #6   9/21/13 2:42:35PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,579-969
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I've never done jujitsu unfortunately. There was a point in time when I first became a fan of mma where my friends and I would grapple a few times a week in my buddy's basement though. I learned everything I knew just from watching fights so I was missing A LOT of technique. I always had a hard time getting anything from the top position. Kimuras were the easiest to get but eventually my friend caught on and was able to defend it most of the time. My favourite sub was always locking on a triangle from my guard.

Yeah, that's kinda how I started. I'm almost entirely self taught in the grappling department. There is no official BJJ instructor at the gym where I train, so I learn a lot by trial and error and general creativity. Of course when people who are semi-regulars come in who have actual formalized BJJ training/experience I make it a point to roll with them and to pick up pointers where I can get them. It's an unfortunate side effect of living in a small town. Not a lot of resources or anything really to attract exceptional instructors. We do actually have a decent muay thai coach, so I guess there is that. Rolling with guys with actual BJJ experience has taught me how to either compensate for certain holes I have, or do my best to eliminate them.

Post #7   9/21/13 4:19:35PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:771-424
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Just finished my first comp all up I got 2 wins and 2 losses. I got a bronze I'm the 91kg gi division, lost to the eventual winner who was actually a national rugby league player in Australia ( kind of a big deal here ) he got me with a gi choke with about 30 secs left but I thought I did quite well against him seeing as it was my first ever comp roll.

In my wins I won by rear naked and the second by points.

Post #8   9/22/13 3:16:29AM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:1,066-669
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
In a street fight? I'd take top position anytime.

Post #9   9/22/13 10:32:19AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
I have a pretty strong wrestling back ground. i'll take top all day position all day. i got one of those blue belts so i can definitely slap on an arm lock or triangle when needed

Post #10   9/22/13 6:36:56PM   

Evie01

Learning to Sprawl

Evie01 Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I always find myself in bottom of side mount and always get submitted.. What I have leaned is that your trainer can point the way to the most effective technique for your level of experience and prevent you from wasting precious training time practitioner a lower percentage technique or one unsuitable for your personal level of experience.

Post #11   9/6/14 3:41:04AM