Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fantasy Football Question. Would love some advice/input here.

Print  
Posted By Message

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,436-881
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I've been really considering making a few trades lately to really improve my team and fill some holes that I perceive as weaknesses in my team and what not. First before I go into some potential target players I'm mulling over in my head right now, I'll post my team. Here is my team as it stands right now(team name is Romo Chokes At the End to pick on a buddy of mine in the league that is a Cowboys fan and I though it was a clever way to reference the movie John Dies At The End), copy and pasted from ESPN:

QB Matthew Stafford, Det QB
QB Michael Vick, Phi QB
RB C.J. Spiller, Buf RB
RB Matt Forte, Chi RB
WR Calvin Johnson, Det WR
WR Anquan Boldin, SF WR
TE Owen Daniels, Hou TE
D/ST Bengals D/ST D/ST
K Phil Dawson, SF K
Bench Reggie Bush, Det RB
Bench Hakeem Nicks, NYG WR
Bench Dwayne Bowe, KC WR
Bench Brandon Myers, NYG TE
Bench Rams D/ST D/ST
Bench Brian Hartline, Mia WR
Bench DeAndre Hopkins, Hou WR

As I'm sure you'll notice, I'm at no shortage at all for WRs. I figure that helps me in orchestrating a trade since a lot of other teams are at a shortage of WRs and don't have the depth that I have at the position. What I'm thinking of doing is trying to trade CJ Spiller since he hasn't been quite as productive as I hoped he would be. I know it's still early in the season, but I don't want to hold on to him waiting for him to explode like he did last year and for it to never happen, plus since he is seemingly splitting carries with Jackson 60/40, I feel his lack of touches is going to hurt me. Now, here's the players I'm most interested in at the moment to take Spiller's spot on my team: Doug Martin, Marshawn Lynch, and Shady McCoy. I've been thinking of trying to maybe package Spiller and Bowe together and see what I can get, and hope it's one of those guys.

Now my question for you guys is if you were in my position, who would you trade to get one of those players I'm interested in? What people do you think I could afford to give without hurting me too much, and allowing me to make a marked improvement in my team? Also, do you guys think I might be giving up on Spiller too soon? I know one of the reasons I want to do this is the injury that Bush received last week, which makes me want to be sure I have a consistent and productive other RB to fill the void in case Bush becomes persistently injured, or the injury gets aggravated further and I lose him for a long period of time. Sorry this post has been long but this is my first time playing fantasy football in something like 5 years, and I'm sure a lot of you have a lot more experience than me and thus have great insight into what I could/should do, etc. Now, just to be sure, you guys have all the information, such as what the owners of the players' I'm interested ins team needs, I'm going to copy and paste their teams so you can make some educated suggestions for me.

Shady McCoy Team:

QB Russell Wilson, Sea QB
QB Carson Palmer, Ari QB
RB Jamaal Charles, KC RB
RB LeSean McCoy, Phi RB
WR Wes Welker, Den WR
WR DeSean Jackson, Phi WR
TE Jimmy Graham, NO TE
D/ST Chiefs D/ST D/ST
K Ryan Succop, KC K
Bench Jay Cutler, Chi QB
Bench Danny Amendola, NE WR
Bench Tavon Austin, StL WR
Bench Ben Tate, Hou RB
Bench Jermichael Finley, GB TE
Bench Bryce Brown, Phi RB
Bench Eric Decker, Den WR

Doug Martin Team:
QB Matt Ryan, Atl QB
QB Sam Bradford, StL QB
RB Doug Martin, TB RB
RB Darren Sproles, NO RB
WR Vincent Jackson, TB WR
WR Larry Fitzgerald, Ari WR
TE Tony Gonzalez, Atl TE
D/ST Buccaneers D/ST D/ST
K Josh Brown, NYG K
Bench Steven Jackson*, Atl RB
Bench Chris Ivory, NYJ RB
Bench Torrey Smith, Bal WR
Bench Lance Moore, NO WR
Bench Steelers D/ST D/ST
Bench Geno Smith, NYJ QB
Bench Dolphins D/ST D/ST

Marshawn Lynch Team:
QB Robert Griffin III, Wsh QB
QB Ben Roethlisberger, Pit QB
RB Marshawn Lynch, Sea RB
RB Knowshon Moreno, Den RB
WR Brandon Marshall, Chi WR
WR Reggie Wayne, Ind WR
TE Tyler Eifert, Cin TE
D/ST Seahawks D/ST D/ST
K Stephen Gostkowski, NE K
Bench Rob Gronkowski, NE TE
Bench Greg Jennings, Min
Bench Ryan Tannehill, Mia QB
Bench David Akers, Det K
Bench Ravens D/ST D/ST
Bench Isaac Redman, Pit RB
Bench James Jones, GB WR

So, again, sorry for the lengthy read, but I've been discussing this with my brother and he's been helping me and making some suggestions, and I'm really racking my mind here trying to determine what is the best trade I can make to ensure I'm not really losing much, if any value anywhere, and which players I have the personnel to realistically trade for and what not. To those fantasy guru's among the great folks here on the PG who respond to my request for your advice, I sincerely thank you, and if love doesn't need to be spread around, I will probably be giving you props for the advice. Thanks for taking the time to read my long winded post. So, what would you do if you were me, and which player if any, do you think I have the best chance of getting, and what trade would you propose to the owner of the player in question? Again, thanks, and may all your fantasy teams be mighty and unbeaten champions.

Last edited 9/19/13 2:07AM server time by ufc_fanatic
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   9/19/13 2:04:08AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Not much help for you but what I noticed is that while they lack depth they do have quality...go after the team with Fitzgerald as WR, I think he only has one back up and I am pretty sure Fitz got hurt..although I think he is D/P right now. Also see if you can knab up RB from Green Bay J. Starks...he is a steal if others haven't noticed.

Last edited 9/19/13 2:26AM server time by jae_1833

Post #2   9/19/13 2:24:44AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Not much help for you but what I noticed is that while they lack depth they do have quality...go after the team with Fitzgerald as WR, I think he only has one back up and I am pretty sure Fitz got hurt..although I think he is D/P right now. Also see if you can knab up RB from Green Bay J. Starks...he is a steal if others haven't noticed.

Yeah, that's the unfortunate thing it seems. All the RBs I want are on the teams that have similar depth and/or better overall talent at WR for the ones that they got than my quadrillion guys I have running around at WR, which sucks because that's a position that has quite a bit of trade value in my league since a lot of peoples teams have an injured receiver or two and they're scrambling trying to find something in the FA/Waiver wire to fill the gaps. Of course me being the dick that I am, I saw that my opponent this week needs WR because of injuries to his core, so I figured that I didn't need or want Jake Locker, so I decided to take the best player, imo, available at the position from the waiver wire, which was DeAndre Hopkins. Thanks to me their second best healthy receiver on their team right now is Denarius Moore for oakland. I've considered trading with the unfortunate soul, but he has little of interest to me other than Andy Dalton who I'm considering trying to get from them to have as a back up for if Vick goes down with an injury like he seems to do every year.

As for Starks, somebody nabbed him from the agency as soon as we were allowed to pick people up and make roster moves again after the end of week 2. Assuming I understood you right, I think you were saying of the people listed I want and the teams the people who own them have, Doug Martin is the one I have the best shot of getting, right? I know according to my brother in the last text I shot him about constructing the trade, he said Martin might be the easiest to get and said there is a chance I might be able to do Spiller for Martin straight across the board there. I do want Martin, but I can't help but think that putting in that extra effort to get Lynch would be the better positional upgrade for me. At the same time though, when the opportunity to get Martin is there, and the injury to Fitzgerald, who is listed as Q, provides me with an opportunity to maybe swoop in and steal Martin away, I probably shouldn't get greedy and look the gift horse in the mouth.

Last edited 9/19/13 8:03AM server time by ufc_fanatic
2 total post edits

Post #3   9/19/13 3:41:29AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Chips:
It also depends on how that opponent is, if he is cold blooded and calculating he may have something in the works already...if he is hot tempered he will take the trade as really it's not a bad one...I wouldn't worry about QB either man, Vicks line is young and healthy and that was the problem last year...also Stafford is NOT a bad back up.

Post #4   9/19/13 9:35:12AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I'd take Spiller over Lynch and Martin tbh but McCoy would be the guy you should go after. Spiller got 130 total yards last week and if you are in a PPR you should not trade him. This is a guy who ran for over 1200 yards last year (~1700 total) as someone who shared duties. Games will be much closer this year than last (where Fitzpatrick had to throw more due to always being behind) and the coach doesn't want to make Manuel throw the ball 40x if he can avoid it. There will be more of an emphasis on Spiller this season. Personally I'd wait til after week 4 to make a decision on him unless you are going for McCoy

also it looks like you are in a 2 QB league, so I would drop Hopkins or Hartline to get that 3rd string QB. If you are only starting 1 then disregard this.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #5   9/19/13 10:32:41AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

It also depends on how that opponent is, if he is cold blooded and calculating he may have something in the works already...if he is hot tempered he will take the trade as really it's not a bad one...I wouldn't worry about QB either man, Vicks line is young and healthy and that was the problem last year...also Stafford is NOT a bad back up.

The league I'm in Stafford isn't my back up. It's a 2 QB starting league, so Stafford is QB1 and Vick QB2. That's part of the reason I'm mulling over Dalton, or a Dalton like guy. Plus I need somebody to play on their bye weeks. It's really helped me that it is a 2 qb league, but the lack of a flex option/wr3 is hurting me because I got all these WR and I can only play 2, which led to a week 1 loss for me because I left Boldin on the bench.
My brother keeps telling me that I'm being paranoid about Vick getting hurt, but it's hard not to be. In his entire career he's only played a full season once. I'm going to keep playing him every week though unless he is hurt because he is big money in fantasy right now.

Post #6   9/19/13 11:24:35AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I'd take Spiller over Lynch and Martin tbh but McCoy would be the guy you should go after. Spiller got 130 total yards last week and if you are in a PPR you should not trade him. This is a guy who ran for over 1200 yards last year (~1700 total) as someone who shared duties. Games will be much closer this year than last (where Fitzpatrick had to throw more due to always being behind) and the coach doesn't want to make Manuel throw the ball 40x if he can avoid it. There will be more of an emphasis on Spiller this season. Personally I'd wait til after week 4 to make a decision on him unless you are going for McCoy

also it looks like you are in a 2 QB league, so I would drop Hopkins or Hartline to get that 3rd string QB. If you are only starting 1 then disregard this.

It is a 2 QB league, but the problem is that literally the best option out there for me to pick up is Jake Locker, and I'm not going to get all excitable about that. Maybe trying to trade Hartline or one of my billion other WR for a Terrelle Pryor, or maybe try and get EJ Manual or somebody wouldn't be a horrible idea.

Post #7   9/19/13 11:27:50AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Chips:
Maybe you can pick up RB Bobby Rainey, he is about to pick up a lot more carries and his next match up has pretty piss poor running defense.

Post #8   9/19/13 1:41:03PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Chips:
A question for you all, in a 1 QB league who would you start this week: Eli Manning who is passing about 80x a game and who will score points the way a Diaz scores a KO or Vick who is facing a formidable upcoming defensive team in the Chiefs?

Post #9   9/19/13 2:13:03PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

A question for you all, in a 1 QB league who would you start this week: Eli Manning who is passing about 80x a game and who will score points the way a Diaz scores a KO or Vick who is facing a formidable upcoming defensive team in the Chiefs?

Eli over Vick. He's bound to not throw 3 picks a game eventually

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #10   9/19/13 3:00:00PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by Bubbles

It is a 2 QB league, but the problem is that literally the best option out there for me to pick up is Jake Locker, and I'm not going to get all excitable about that. Maybe trying to trade Hartline or one of my billion other WR for a Terrelle Pryor, or maybe try and get EJ Manual or somebody wouldn't be a horrible idea.

yeah someone like that would be idea. Maybe take a flier on Kirk Cousins or Chad Henne on waivers for now and make a trade later when you near a bye week.

Last edited 9/19/13 3:02PM server time by bubbles

Post #11   9/19/13 3:01:22PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Personally, I'd play Vick, but Bubbles does have a good point. Sooner or later Eli is bound to have a good game. Eli tends to do this every year. He'll play terrible for a stretch of games, we all start to question his status as an elite QB, then he has a monstrous stretch of games, and we all hate ourselves for doubting him.

Post #12   9/19/13 5:59:20PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:
remember when I said bench Vick?

Post #13   9/20/13 10:00:39AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

remember when I said bench Vick?

Where do you get your crystal balls from, because yours certainly work better than mine. I'm really going to actively look for a back up now, just so I can at least have the option to bench people. Oh well, at least I still got Stafford and Megatron paired up to get me buttloads of points against that god awful Washington D and do some damage control for Vick on my fantasy team.

Post #14   9/20/13 4:53:58PM