Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Silva vs Weidman 2 - What happens if ...

Print  
Posted By Message

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
Hey Guys,

(I'm not gonna troll either Weidman or Silva for their first fight leading up to or after. I like Silva for the UFC career and legacy he holds, yet i also appreciate Weidman stepping up with all the hype and keeping composure in the octagon to eventually clip Silva and take away his title) A fan of both, or not. Silva is greatness, Weidman is the new champ in that division. I will not argue or dispute that statement.

But, What happens, Hypothetically - not just to the fighters themselves, but to the whole of the MW division should Silva win the rematch in December in dramatic fashion. If he was to walk in there and KO or Submit Weidman quickly and with ease, what do you guys think would happen as i believe with Silva being older and possibly considering retirement, then with Weidman suffering his first loss in MMA, where would that leave the MW division?

Especially if Silva decided to retire after defeating the only guy to beat him in the UFC. Depending on how Weidman lost could also have its set backs. There would be a vacant belt and no real challenger to fight for it. The UFC could have their hands full.

Honestly, i Don't see Weidman losing like that, but it is a fight so it is possible.

Any thoughts,
Cheers

Post #1   9/18/13 8:31:10AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Belfort/Hendo winner vs Machida/Kennedy winner

Mousasi, Jacare, Bisping/Munoz winner and maybe a return of Sonnen would also be in the mix. Weidman's place here is a given

Last edited 9/18/13 9:34AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   9/18/13 9:32:51AM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:905-564
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
As we've seen. You can guess all these contender fights, but you never really know whats going to happen. You never know.

Post #3   9/18/13 9:35:13AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If Silva wins I don't see the UFC doing anything other than making it a trilogy. They gave Silva an instant rematch so they'd look like real tool bags if they didn't give Weidman another chance. Belfort will be next in line after Weidman Silva 3 or if Weidman beats Silva. So in about a year perhaps we will have to worry about a contender not named Silva, Weidman, or Belfort.

Post #4   9/18/13 10:03:49AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,694-1,543
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

If Silva wins I don't see the UFC doing anything other than making it a trilogy. .

Post #5   9/18/13 11:00:37AM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
If Silva quickly ko'd Weidman in the rematch, then retired. The UFC MW division would have a dilemma because they couldn't offer Weidman the next number one contender due to a ko loss. The likes of Bisping, Munoz, Jacare and Chael sonnen are not contenders yet IMO. There is no solid number one contender other than Belfort who has a fight arranged against Hendo. If Hendo beats Belfort, then Belfort is out of that race too.

Post #6   9/18/13 12:25:47PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:
Jacare is a contender albeit behind Belfort. The belt would then be vacated and it would be Weidman vs Belfort. If Belfort loses to Hendo everything may still continue the same as the fight is taking place at 205 specifically so that Belfort would not lose his place in line, or at least that was his mind set. I don't see the UFC doing anything differently if Weidman beats Silva or Silva beats Weidman and subsequently retires. Weidman is still the stand out and Belfort still needs someone to fight which would be Weidman. If Silva doesn't retire and wins twice Silva vs Belfort 2 is next.

I could see an alternative scenario where Silva beats Weidman and they make a trilogy and after the third fight if Silva wins and retires or loses the UFC would match up Machida and Belfort to get next crack at the title. This is a very long way off though and Belfort would most likely refuse any non title MW fight.

Post #7   9/18/13 1:14:20PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Chips:
Honestly doubt they would give Weidman a rematch as he would be regarded as a fluke win...they would probably have him fight one or two to get back up there...in the meantime there are a couple of guys previously mentioned that would get a shot at Silva. I would understand it but if they gave him less than Souza to get a trilogy then I would be a bit disappointed.

Post #8   9/18/13 1:59:19PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:985-525
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I honestly thought that Anderson Silva was going to retire after the second Sonnen fight. I also think that Silva is closer to retiring than he leads people to believe. I could see Anderson Silva retiring after the second Weidman fight win lose or draw. If he were to win and retire, the only fight that makes sense would be Vitor Belfort versus the next biggest contender(probably Weidman) in the division for the vacant title. But of course the UFC would throw a mountain of cash at him to fight Weidman for a third time.

Post #9   9/18/13 10:30:13PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:640-344
Chips:
Lets say that that scenario does happen, then to me that would be a perfect opportunity for a mw tournament. Get the top 8 guys in the division and let them duke it out until we get a new champ.

This will likely never happen though.

Post #10   9/19/13 8:28:19AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Chips:
I hope Silva wins.

I would guess 2014 will be his last year.

Three fights.

One title defense. Then give up title
Two super fights against gsp and Jones

If weidman wins I doubt he gets a title shot instantly

More like jacare or machida next for him.

If bisping wins. I bet he gets next shot

Post #11   9/21/13 9:22:14AM   

NikkiNeversleep

MMA Regular

NikkiNeversleep Avatar

Career:129-101
Chips:
I'm more interested in Weidman vs Belfort than Weidman vs Silva 2 or 3. I dont think Silva will beat Weidman. If he does though and retires lik you said, they'll likely do Belfort vs Souza/Munoz/Machida/Weidman for the vacant title. And Belfort could become the first man to hold 3 different UFC titles. O.O

Post #12   10/2/13 5:01:00AM   

cloppio

treadin troden trails

cloppio Avatar

Career:506-363
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by airkerma

If Silva wins I don't see the UFC doing anything other than making it a trilogy. .

this

Post #13   10/6/13 12:03:44AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The UFC knows better, i think, than to miss the train on a big money match like a trilogy to determine the lasting legacy of the #1 p4p fighter that has ever been in their organization.

Sonnen did big money off an almost win, a 3rd Weidman v. Silva fight to determine "who's better?" is almost a gurantee. They would make bank on the fight, and we'd all order it.

The contenders would stew and clog in the mean time.

Post #14   10/6/13 8:23:56AM