Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White: Daniel Cormier 'probably' gets title shot against Jon Jones with win over Roy Nelson

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,978-1,663
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't even think a win over Nelson should get him a shot at HW, let alone LHW, and if Cormier loses to Jones it's going to really ruin the hype for a potential HW tilt. This is especially problematic because without Cormier, all that's really left is Cain vs. JDS over and over with a possible Barnett, Werdum or Browne title shot sprinkled in. This is not a fantastic long term outlook for the HW division, not terrible, but they need every exciting contender they can get.

LHW has been pretty much cleaned out by Jones, but I'll watch the Gustafsson fight closely, and I'd pay for a Machida rematch, a Teixeira or a Hendo fight. Phil Davis is possible but I don't know how intriguing that matchup is. I don't think the division needs people like Sonnen and Cormier floating in and out of the division for unearned title shots when there are at least 4 or 5 decent title fights still out there for Jones, not to mention the LHW division seems to churn out more quality fighters than HW. Keep Cormier at HW.

Post #16   9/15/13 2:41:14PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Give me a break, win at heavyweight and it gets you a title shot against the LHW champ

Post #17   9/15/13 4:26:15PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

The path that Cormier will have taken is sorta wonky, but he's probably the best challenge for Jones, and he certainly has the credentials. Wrestling superstar, dangerous power, undefeated in MMA, beaten Barnett, Bigfoot, and Mir in last 3 wins.

It does kinda suck that Cormier will not have had to beat even a single LHW to get the title shot, but it still doesn't diminish the rest of the factors.

Yes it does.

You need to beat at least one top 5 guy in your weight class to earn a shot.

HW wins are not comparable to LHW wins. For all we know, Cormier might be drawn out and slow at LHW.

Post #18   9/15/13 4:30:13PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
If you want to watch fighters earn their title shots watch Bellator. Zuffa is in the business of making money and they think people will pay to watch Jones vs Cormier. Also, it seems no one is giving Alexander Gustafsson a chance at winning.

Post #19   9/15/13 5:39:16PM   

Samps

MMA Regular

Samps Avatar

Career:610-346
Chips:
Doesn't bother me. Jones will beat Gus, while waiting for Cormier to lose the weight beat Glover, then fight Cormier. Just keep feeding Jones, after those 3 how about that Hendo fight? Or Hendo fights Davis and winner of that fights Jones

Post #20   9/15/13 6:29:11PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by decken

If you want to watch fighters earn their title shots watch Bellator. Zuffa is in the business of making money and they think people will pay to watch Jones vs Cormier. Also, it seems no one is giving Alexander Gustafsson a chance at winning.

With all do respect, I think that's a silly argument.

"Making money" and "being a legitimate sport" are not mutually exclusive options. In fact, I dare say you need to be a legitimate sport to make real money.

Its selling fans short to assume that they all tune in for the drama alone. There is already WWF for that. I tune in to see who the best fighters in the world are and to watch them compete against each other. It turns me off the sport and makes me less likely to buy PPVs when I see guys getting undeserved shots at the title.

Do you think I bought Chael Sonnen vs. Jon Jones? I'll give you two guesses. Scratch that. You get no guesses. Obviously I didn't pay for that crap. That would just reinforce the behavior I don't like.

I think there are more fans like me than you think and I think that in order to achieve the kind of popularity that football has, you need to be legitimate and serious about how you set up your competitions. I'm wondering if we can ever get there as long as the UFC is run by Dana White's mood swings rather than any sort of sensible and consistent set of procedures.

Post #21   9/16/13 1:38:14AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I have no problem with Cormier getting a title shot. You guys seem to forget he is the Strikforce tournament grand prix champ. Furthermore, because Cormier has no interests in fighting Cain, the ufc has to figure out where Cormier can fit in while also honoring his seniority as tournament champ.

If the ufc does what most of you have implied, Cormier will have to fight once or twice in the LHW division - and that would result in 3 to 4 ufc fights before he gets a title shot while coming in as the Strikeforce tournament champ.

Last edited 9/16/13 5:21PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   9/16/13 10:19:05AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,291-843
Chips:
Cormier has the fighting style to beat Jones pretty easily imo.

Jones out muscles alot of his opponents because he is a big dude. That's not gonna happen against Cormier. Say what you want about the guy, but he is no joke. He is compact and can wrestle. A dangerous combo for Jones

Post #23   9/16/13 11:15:18AM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,374-939
Chips:
If not Glover then Cormier in terms of interest for me. He doesn't have the LHW resume but in the grander scheme of things his accomplishments are adequate enough.

Post #24   9/16/13 11:59:11AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2