Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones weakness ...

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Pressure. Jones does NOT like pressure. He becomes way to reactionary when he is being bested in the stand up. I will give him credit, he doesn't wilt like Ortiz does, but he doesn't know how to handle it just yet, and he loses focus.

I get what your saying but I have to disagree. The only times that he has really been pressed were in the Gus fight and the machida fight.

In the first round of the machida fight, lyoto was all over him and had jones completely off his game, in the second jones came out much better, got a takedown and then even dropped machida with a punch before finishing him.

Same thing happened in the Gus fight but on a bigger scale. Got to give credit to Gus really for landing those good punches throughout, but you can't really say that jones didn't react well to the pressure or didn't adjust... As the fight went on he landed more and more kicks, especially head kicks and was also consistent in his takedown attempts. Most fighters continue doing the same thing or just go for broke if they are getting picked apart... I think it's evidence that jones adjusted in that fight by him winning the last 2 rounds clearly.

I have said it before and I will say it again, his main weakness is still his boxing. Mixes his kicks in great, but still yet to see his punches dominate anybody.

Post #31   9/29/13 8:49:39AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by warglory

Pressure. Jones does NOT like pressure. He becomes way to reactionary when he is being bested in the stand up. I will give him credit, he doesn't wilt like Ortiz does, but he doesn't know how to handle it just yet, and he loses focus.

I get what your saying but I have to disagree. The only times that he has really been pressed were in the Gus fight and the machida fight.

In the first round of the machida fight, lyoto was all over him and had jones completely off his game, in the second jones came out much better, got a takedown and then even dropped machida with a punch before finishing him.

Same thing happened in the Gus fight but on a bigger scale. Got to give credit to Gus really for landing those good punches throughout, but you can't really say that jones didn't react well to the pressure or didn't adjust... As the fight went on he landed more and more kicks, especially head kicks and was also consistent in his takedown attempts. Most fighters continue doing the same thing or just go for broke if they are getting picked apart... I think it's evidence that jones adjusted in that fight by him winning the last 2 rounds clearly.

I have said it before and I will say it again, his main weakness is still his boxing. Mixes his kicks in great, but still yet to see his punches dominate anybody.

Jones took out Machida quickly in round 2. It wasn't luck, but he got away with not having to work the entire round, which probably would have been more of the same had it remained on the feet. Machida's takedown defense is normally stellar.

As for his fight with Gus, I think Jones was still relying on his athleticism the entire fight. He wasn't confident in his striking at all, and was having trouble putting together a plan. That fight could have easily swayed in Gus' favor, but I don't think Gus really had a gameplan outside of attempting to outbox Jones. He didn't put a whole lot of pressure on him, which automatically gave Jones leverage.

Post #32   9/29/13 12:08:12PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Kind of just contradicted yourself their in saying machida and Gus didn't put pressure on jones. If he was ever under pressure in a fight it was in those two when he was losing early.

Post #33   9/29/13 5:56:00PM   

NikkiNeversleep

MMA Regular

NikkiNeversleep Avatar

Career:134-107
Chips:
I still think Gus won that fight. Jones didnt do enough until the fight was basically over. Obviously his weakness is his boxing and head movement. He doesnt use his own boxing because he has a permanently fractured left hand, why he utilizes elbows while standing.
I kinda laugh when people talk about him going to HW, he'd get killed lulz no doubt in my mind there.

Post #34   10/2/13 2:47:06AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3