Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones weakness ...

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
Hey guys, Maybe i have missed it, but i haven't seen too many discussions online regarding Jon Jones weakness if he has any, or what would be the right strategy for the next title challenger to try to implement on Jones's style.

Is there anyone on this site who can see a clear weakness is Jon Jones's arsenal that other fighters have not yet spotted. He does seem to be such a well rounded fighter that any weakness would need to be spotted by someone who has studied him with extra care on tape.

Personally, I don't see any standout weakness with Him, though i still don't think his chin has been properly tested in the Octagon. That's my personal opinion guys, He has been hit, but i feel if someone like Teixeira caught him flush on the chin and Jones was still standing then that would answer my questions surrounding his chin.

Any thoughts ???
Cheers

Post #1   9/11/13 3:20:00AM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,607-1,396
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If he gets caught with a good power punch he'll go down, but he fights tall so it's hard to hit him

Post #2   9/11/13 3:47:13AM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

If he gets caught with a good power punch he'll go down, but he fights tall so it's hard to hit him

Do you think Teixeira could plant one on him ??

Post #3   9/11/13 5:05:07AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,433-837
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Glover has a very small window to get it done. I would say that the Mauler is the bigger threat . It's going to take somebody that can neutralize his ground game or at worst make the fight dirty. I think that Manuwa is his best challenge and I don't feel he has the skills

Post #4   9/11/13 7:01:06AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,522-929
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If I had to assess one potential weakness of Jones, it would be in his spinning attacks. Even though he uses them with great accuracy, I could see Jones going for a spinning back elbow and getting creamed, ala Brown-Faber 1. As my man Svartorm has stated previously, moments like those are rarely capitalized upon in MMA. Gustafsson may just have the frame to stay out of Jones' wheelhouse, while potentially being able to exploit such an opening.

However, even if Gus was able to put hands on Jones, who knows how much damage he would do. Jones took Machida's best fairly flush and barely seemed rocked, and Machida is a guy with legit technique, as well as KO power.

I honestly don't see any other weaknesses anyone would be able to take advantage of.

Post #5   9/11/13 8:06:09AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I wish we would have had a vintage Shogun. I would loved to have seen two hands up protecting the face and an assult on Jon's legs. I think they would be prone to quickly become tender. I think if he moves to hw Cain would take him down and beat him up.

Post #6   9/11/13 8:17:38AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,166-696
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't even think Cain can expose his weaknesses.

Cain is 6'1 with a 77 inch reach and weighs in roughly 240 pounds.
If Jon Jones was to go to heavyweight he'd weigh at least 225, and he'd probably bulk up for the fight, he's 6'4 with a 84.5 inch reach.

The comparison
Chael 6'1 - 74 inch
Vitor 6'0 - 74
Rashad 5'11 - 75
Machida 6'1 - 74
Shogun 6'1 - 76
Rampage 6'1 - 73
Bader 6'2 - 74

So Cain would be approximately the same size as other opponent's except he wouldn't have to cut wait. Jones hasn't gassed since 2009 against Bonnar. The only advantage Cain would have is experience at dealing and dishing power, his striking isn't as technical, his wrestling against a guy with a lanky base wouldn't work.
The fight would be a harder fight for Jones but I think he'd still walk in as the favorite and leave with the W.

A guy like Cormier at Heavyweight might be able to push him up against the fence and pin him there for the match, same as Brock or Carwin.

Gustaffson might have the edge in this fight in the stand up department but he really is gonna have to work his ass off getting in and out avoiding trips, sweeps and throws at the end of every combination.
Gustaffson has a slight height advantage and about 3 inch reach disadvantage.

The truth is we have yet to see Jones give us a weakness. Vitor almost took his arm off, so maybe he could be caught in a submission, Jones legs won't be able to take too much damage if he kept them still, that said Jones is rarely flat footed and going for a kick could put you on his back. We also haven't seen him against a ballsy power puncher like Hendo, Glover or Prime Rampage who couldn't give a sh*t and just is looking to punch you in the face. I think a guy like Cormier or Cain could make him pay for the spinning moves by catching him and putting him on his back but it'd be a miracle.

Call me crazy but the one guy I think holds all the tools to beat him right now is Fabricio Wedrum, He's as tall as Jones and his striking is really starting to crisp up and improve. Taking him down would put Jones in a world of trouble, Jones' only option would be to strike him but Wedrum really would have nothing to lose and if Wedrum can outstrike Overeem, I'd pick Wedrum to play it smart actually go for takedowns - (unlike Rashad) and even pull guard if shit hits the fan.

Cormier, Glover and Gustaffson are relying on one thing working as they all have 1 style that they are better than him, all the other aspects Jones should be able to win. I don't think we see Jones dominated until he either goes up to 265, gets bored or gets old. Similar to Anderson Silva (I think he's gotten bored and old)

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #7   9/11/13 8:51:11AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Weak toes....

Post #8   9/11/13 9:14:30AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,048-608
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Weak toes....

If only Vinny stopped getting koed, he could slap on a toe hold and end the champ is hilarious fashion.

It seems that the problem with LHW compared to let's say FW is that these guys aren't great at getting inside and dealing with severe reach differences. I'm not sure who would be the one to do it, but I think it would take someone who could get inside, had fantastic tdd, and could pop back up when down. Skinny DC comes to mind but I think his punching and forward advancement are too slow to give JJ problems. At HW I think at very least Cain and JDS beat him but at LHW I think his opponents are greatly outmatched.

Post #9   9/11/13 2:04:29PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Chips:
I don't think anyone has tested his bottom hits yet, he has too good of tdd to really see it happening but if someone could get on top I wonder if he would be any good underneath.

Post #10   9/11/13 3:01:38PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,492-918
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Weak toes....

I'm not sure who would be the one to do it, but I think it would take someone who could get inside, had fantastic tdd, and could pop back up when down.

Prime Chuck?

Post #11   9/11/13 3:31:18PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,492-918
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Also, call me crazy, but I'd try leg kicking the bejeezus out of him and hope for the best. Maybe I'm a little bias, as I'm one of the leg kickingest sumbitches you'd ever meet, but I personally think that leg kicks are possibly the single most useful strike tactically speaking because of all the things wrecking a person's leg stops them from doing effectively. Like was mentioned before though by jjeans, it leaves you open to getting taken down, and we all know that from there you'll be absorbing hellbows a plenty. Still, I think if you could land a bunch of them on those long slender legs it would wear on him pretty quickly and you might start finding some openings. Other than that and some crazy magical how getting him on his back to see how he does on his back, I've got nothing.

Post #12   9/11/13 3:37:24PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:691-382
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

Jones has a good chin, he's been caught clean by machida and rashad and he only got slightly rocked, and as soon as he got hit by those guys he smartly retreats and regroups.

Post #13   9/11/13 5:06:04PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:691-382
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I don't think anyone has tested his bottom hits yet, he has too good of tdd to really see it happening but if someone could get on top I wonder if he would be any good underneath.

That's true, but his skinny legs are made for triangles.

Post #14   9/11/13 5:06:56PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,278-676
Chips:
Jon Jones weakness? I really haven't seen one. He's been in trouble twice that I can recall. When Vitor had the armbar, and the toe injury against Chael. He survived both. I'm pretty sure in all of his UFC fights he won every single round except the 1st round against Machida and even that was close.

He's only 26 years old and will probably even get better. I can see a move to the Heavyweight Division eventually. Jones will more than likely go down as the best Light Heavyweight of all time. His wrestling, jiu-jitsu, muay thai and TDD is all really good. It's kind of crazy he's out wrestling the best wrestlers in the Division. He's submitting Black Belts.

Post #15   9/11/13 7:30:20PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3