Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

In search for life after fighting, Danny Downes remakes himself as an MMA writer

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Danny Downes got the news in a text message. He'd been expecting it, and he thought he was ready for it, but he thought wrong.

This was the fall of 2011, a little more than a month after his second loss in as many attempts with the UFC. Before that he'd gone 1-1 in the WEC, beating the much-hyped Chinese import Tiequan Zhang via unanimous decision in the organization's final event.

But 0-2 in the UFC? "Danny Boy" could do the math. He knew he was likely on the chopping block, but the UFC's upcoming event in his hometown of Chicago that January gave him some faint hope. Maybe they'd keep him around for that. Maybe he'd get one more chance. Then he saw the text from his manager...

Full Story

Post #1   9/9/13 8:47:23AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,064-1,097
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm a big fan of this story. Downes did the smart thing knowing he wasnt going to be fighting for a world title in his life time & realized he could do good for the sport with his strong scholastic background. The sport always has space for Kenny Florians. No I'm not saying Downes was nearly the fighter ken flo was but I'm making the connection that mma needs these reputable former fighters who don't sound stupid addressing the media. Cant have the Doug Marshalls of the world representing our sport to corporate America. Good call Downes

Post #2   9/9/13 1:30:09PM