Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC confirms Glover's title shot

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Following a 1st round TKO of Ryan Bader, the UFC confirmed that Glover Teixeira will get the next LHW title shot after his 5th successive win in the promotion and 20th straight overall.

Link

Post #1   9/5/13 12:53:14AM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,379-788
Chips:
He got tagged quite a bit tonight which worries me against Jones. Hopefully he can tighten up that aspect and put up a solid fight but I just don't see anyone at LHW beating Jones.

Post #2   9/5/13 1:51:24AM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,061-632
Chips:

Posted by DrivenDavies15

He got tagged quite a bit tonight which worries me against Jones. Hopefully he can tighten up that aspect and put up a solid fight but I just don't see anyone at LHW beating Jones.

I agree. If Bader could grab a guillotine on Teixeira and tag him twice, Jones will get the stoppage for sure.

Jones should vacate the title when he beats Gustauffson. As Cormier sheds weight for LHW and Jones packs some on for HW, maybe their paths can cross. They'll be smaller HW fighters, and that's a fight I'd rather see.

Post #3   9/5/13 3:01:50AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,134-678
Chips:

Posted by SamPan

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I agree. If Bader could grab a guillotine on Teixeira and tag him twice, Jones will get the stoppage for sure.

Jones should vacate the title when he beats Gustauffson. As Cormier sheds weight for LHW and Jones packs some on for HW, maybe their paths can cross. They'll be smaller HW fighters, and that's a fight I'd rather see.

And why, at the age of 26 years old, should the most dominant Lightheavyweight fighter of all time go up to a weight class whereby some fighters weigh 60+ more than him currently at the weigh ins.

He's currently the UFC's second biggest draw and the P4P champion.

Why on earth would he go up in weight whereby fighters might be taller than him and be stronger than him when he has showed no issue cutting weight and has shown no floors in his game...
Maybe the enjoyment or entertainment factor for yourself? But other than that Jones is doing perfectly well fighting at LHW.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #4   9/5/13 5:31:56AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,023-594
Chips:
Phew, for a second there I thought Bader was going to ruin the entire lhw scene

Post #5   9/5/13 8:27:44AM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,061-632
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by SamPan

Posted by DrivenDavies15

And why, at the age of 26 years old, should the most dominant Lightheavyweight fighter of all time go up to a weight class whereby some fighters weigh 60+ more than him currently at the weigh ins.

Why on earth would he go up in weight whereby fighters might be taller than him and be stronger than him when he has showed no issue cutting weight and has shown no floors in his game...
Maybe the enjoyment or entertainment factor for yourself? But other than that Jones is doing perfectly well fighting at LHW.

I realize I'm being a selfish fan, but Jones has said he wants to move up in weight pretty soon, and he's so dominant at LHW that the fights aren't that interesting anymore.

Post #6   9/5/13 12:46:57PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,480-857
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by SamPan

Posted by DrivenDavies15

One of the biggest knocks of Bones is the fact that he is so much bigger than his opponents he doesn't need that much skill to win, similar to Brock a few years ago. His last 4 opponents have been either a MW or pondering the move to MW.

If JJ wants to be considered a GOAT he needs to start beating up dudes his owns size or :gasp: even bigger than he is. Fighting Gus is a good start but I'd love to see him fight someone he didn't have a reach advantage over, like a giraffe or something.

Post #7   9/5/13 4:44:08PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:665-362
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Good for glover he deserves the shot. You could tell he was upset with his performance after the win, if bader was smarter when he had glover hurt then he probably could have won.

However I think jones ko's glover... He is due for a real ko.

Also that shit on jones having to fight guys his own size is kind of getting annoying. Why don't we ever talk about his skill ?

Post #8   9/5/13 5:20:47PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Glover will not beat Jones

Post #9   9/5/13 7:47:14PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by SamPan

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Why would Bones move up to heavyweight? Two reasons...

First of all, Bones is almost out of opponents. He'll likely have an easy time defeating AG, and the same goes for Glover. After that, who is really left for him to fight? The rematch with Machida is no longer an option if Machida plans on staying at middleweight. Phil Davis, and maybe an eventual rematch with Sonnen are possibilities, but that's only two more fights. Who else is left? A rematch with Rashad, too, maybe, but that's still not much.

Secondly, Bones could want to move up to cement his legacy, and to challenge himself. How many other fighters have completely wiped out an entire weight class and then proceeded to move up another weight and dominate there as well? I'm not saying that Bones would definitely dominate at heavyweight, but I don't think it's out of the question, and it's not something that anyone else has ever done. GSP talked about it for a while earlier in his career, but more challenges showed up for him at welterweight, plus I don't think he's super interested in fighting Anderson.

I think Bones has plenty of motive for eventually moving up to heavyweight.

Last edited 9/5/13 8:40PM server time by Webbie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   9/5/13 8:38:41PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,480-857
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Good for glover he deserves the shot. You could tell he was upset with his performance after the win, if bader was smarter when he had glover hurt then he probably could have won.

However I think jones ko's glover... He is due for a real ko.

Also that shit on jones having to fight guys his own size is kind of getting annoying. Why don't we ever talk about his skill ?

UFC is hyping up Gus's size. Maybe after he tools Gus.

Post #11   9/6/13 3:11:20PM