Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

BEST GRAPPLER ON MMA TODAY

Print  
BEST GRAPPLER TODAY IN MMA
ANTONIO RODRIGO NOGUEIRA 17 28%
SAKURABA 1 2%
GENKI SUDO 5 8%
BJ. PENN 19 31%
FABRICIO WERDUM 6 10%
OTHERS... 13 21%
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,975-1,117
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Fedor, has the best overall grappling in MMA IMO. Great wrestling, strength, subs, sub defense , and the best balance and GnP I've ever seen. He clearly outgrappled Big Nog twice, who many think is the best. Big Nog himself said before his match with Werdum that Werdum has better BJJ than him. I think the poll seems to favor sub artist over grapplers, which is a different thing IMO. It defiantely also undervalue's wrestler based grapplers like Hughes, Lindland, and Couture who just went to a draw agaist Jacare. Sub artist I'd go with Werdum. Penn, Aoki, Shaolin ,Filho, and Lister.

Last edited 1/29/07 6:25PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #16   1/29/07 6:21:35PM   

gspfan31

MMA Regular

gspfan31 Avatar

Career:98-51
Chips:
big nog, werdum

Post #17   1/29/07 6:32:09PM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:
Fedor IMO I'm seeing Hippy's logic here for sure

Post #18   1/29/07 6:33:30PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Where's the Snowman or The Boogeyman?

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #19   1/29/07 6:36:06PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:

Posted by SICKRICK

monson should not be on that list and i dont think hughes should either, im not exactly sure you know what you are talking about!! well if you were talking about wrestling maybe hughes, but not grappling or subbmission.. come on MMA , i give a class on saturdays maybe you should attend..

Well, Hughes may not be the best grappler, but he still a grappler. Yeah, he relies more on his wrestling background because that is his strongest attribute, but he still practices in submissions.

St. Pierre, on the other hand, is more of a striker/wrestler and Parisyan is a Judo practitioner.

How can you say that Monson should not be listed as a grappler when he is an ADCC champion? So to quote you, "im not exactly sure you know what you are talking about!!"

Post #20   1/29/07 11:51:07PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I don't know if hes the best, but Carlos Newton is one of my favorite grapplers, just because of the athleticism and unorthodox style. Saku in his time was probably the best. Lots of good choices out there, but the important thing is not who is the most skilled, but who can pull it off in the MMA world, which super talented guys like Serra and Lister have trouble doing.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #21   1/30/07 12:58:40AM   

amik

MMA Regular

amik Avatar

Career:71-38
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
If I had to put a list with all the good grapplers that exist, it could be endless.

Fighters like Hugues, Monson, Couture, etc base in being complete beside dominating in submissions.

For something I've put the "OTHERS" in the poll. Because i wish could be able to make a poll with many more fighters.

thanks to all.

Post #22   1/30/07 6:38:14AM   

SICKRICK

Banned

Career:29-13
Chips:
TO : MMA MODERATOR::: Well you just said your self that matt hughes is not the best and that is what the question was, you probably think Tim Sylvia is the best grappler LOL... AND I BELIEVE that monson just is not good enough to be fighting in the ufc

Last edited 1/30/07 7:15AM server time by SICKRICK

Post #23   1/30/07 7:14:41AM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:

Posted by SICKRICK

TO : MMA MODERATOR::: Well you just said your self that matt hughes is not the best and that is what the question was, you probably think Tim Sylvia is the best grappler LOL... AND I BELIEVE that monson just is not good enough to be fighting in the ufc

You are obviously too ignorant to understand the point of my argument, so I will kindly explain it to you: why list fighters such as St. Pierre and Parisyan when there are clearly more superior grapplers out there.

Why would I think Sylvia is a good grappler anyways? What a retarded assumption you just made there. And I think many people will agree that Monson is a great grappler ... so yeah, please come again.

P.S. I know you still PMS about that incident, but don't bother trying to start shit with me. I'm not as immature as you.

Edit: Oh, and PM me if you still have issues. Don't want to spam this thread with our nonsense.

Last edited 1/30/07 7:58AM server time by MMA

Post #24   1/30/07 7:45:52AM   

--Hinch--

Probably a terrorist.

--Hinch-- Avatar

Career:73-56
Camp: Platinum Mafia
Chips:
jacare, Roger, Arona and Filho are the top end of the list.

Werdum and BJ also get special mention.

Arona is the best grappler in the world right now, which is agreed on by just about every other grappler around.

Post #25   1/30/07 8:53:01AM   

SICKRICK

Banned

Career:29-13
Chips:
MMA don't get all mad that i dont agree with your pick that tim sylvia is your all time best grappler but non the less you are a funny funny moderator..

Post #26   1/30/07 9:35:55AM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:

Posted by redmist

no couture or lindland listed either. surely worth a mention. i'll take filho.

ps. he means caol uno not karo

grappling is part of wrestling

Absolutely worth a mention, when I did the poll yesterday there was no "Other" catagory that I recall. But the above mentioned are surley a concideration IMO. Good call Redmist

Post #27   1/30/07 10:42:05AM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Yoshida is one of the best also. (Barret)

Post #28   1/30/07 11:24:35AM   

swazymaq

Learning to Sprawl

swazymaq Avatar

Career:6-3
Camp: The American hillbilly
Chips:
I reckon yall never heard of Shinya Aoki? He is number 1

Post #29   1/30/07 1:31:10PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar