Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fights to make after UFC 164

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,293-734
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Heeeeeelllluuuuuvvvvvaaaaa night. Pettis, Barnett, Mendes, hell even Rothwell. They all showed up tonight and impressed the hell out of me and i'm assuming you guys as well

Anthony Pettis - He is something else. He continues to improve which is a scary thing. He could potentially be one of the next big superstars in the UFC. Finishing top contenders and CHAMPIONS left and right in spectacular fashion, Give him TJ Grant Melendez/Sanchez winner next. He wants Jose Aldo but that division is just too crowded imo. You never know though, crazier things have happened

Benson Henderson - As long as Pettis is the champ I don't see him getting a grudge match for a long time seeing as he lost both first fights and in 1st round tonight. He seemed so disappointed which is saddening, he has to work his way back up again I guess. How about Healy/Nurmagomedov loser ?

Josh Barnett - Whether you agree with the stoppage or not he was on his way to finishing up, he looked pretty dominant tonight. Can't deny he's right up there for a title shot with the lack of depth in the division. Fights with either Fabricio Werdum or Travis Browne will likely be next for him

Frank Mir - He didn't look awful tonight but he also didn't really look like a Mir who could is going to be a top contender anytime soon. It's tough to say where he goes from here and I could see him taking a long while off before he decides on retirement or not. He could fight like Antonio Silva or Alistair Overeem if he is still wanting to stay relevant though.

Chad Mendes - He looked so beastly tonight, he is either one win away or next in line at 145. Still pretty stunned he was the first one to tko Guida. I want to see him fight for the title but he'll most likely be fighting Ricardo Lamas or Frankie Edgar next. Possibly even a rematch with Cub Swanson

Clay Guida - He didn't look great but this was a pretty bad stylistic match up for him. He needs to go back to the drawing board because nothing seems to be working for him for his last few fights. I think he'll get Dennis Siver next.

Ben Rothwell - He looked a lot better tonight than he has his last few. he was way more aggressive and landed some good shots on the feet even though the first two rounds were pretty close. He wants Travis Browne but imo that's too big of a step up right now. I'd like to see him fight Stipe Miocic or Todd Duffee in his next appearance.

Brandon Vera - I'm not sure where he will go now. He was landing decent kicks and have some success on the outside during the fight but as soon as Rothwell picked up the pace he crumpled. I don't know if he'll get another chance or not. Maybe this could be the end of line for him. If not fights with Pat Barry or Mitrione/Schaub loser make sense.

Dustin Poirier - Basically a pretty dominant performance minus the last part of round 3. I was really surprised how he was able to blast Koch on the feet and take him down and dominate him there. He has improved a ton and I think a step up to fight guys like Frankie Edgar Lentz/Bermudez winner next would be good scraps

Erik Koch - Still wonder how this guy almost fought Aldo twice for the title. He hasn't been as impressive as I figured he would be in the UFC. He had that nice KO of Assuncao but other than that he has yet to live up to his potential. I think he could be great in a couple years though and training with guys like Pettis &Askren will only help his game. I think a step down is needed like Max Holloway or Hatsu Hioki would be right

Gleison Tibau - Nice but typical Tibau performance. Shows great skill and dominance in the first two rounds then gases out and almost loses. He has some great potential and after a win over Varner he could be showing he has what it take to make a run at the title finally. I hope he continues his streak. I like fights with eitherEdson Barboza or Danny Castillo next. There are a lot of different guys he could fight in such a stacked division

Jamie Varner - He almost had a comeback there! Didn't look great tonight i'll admit. There is a lot he still needs to work on. He seems like he'll be a gatekeeper in the future for the division. I think a fight with Evan Dunham would be great or Sam Stout would be fun.

Tim Elliot - He dominated tonight! Completely mauled Gaudinot, I didn't think this guy could make such a wave in the division but he is for real. With such a thin flyweight roster I think testing him against John Moraga or maybe the winner or Lineker/Harris would be solid step up.

Louis Gaudinot - Maybe is was the new hairstyle? He looked a lot better but damn did he get absolutely dominated. His size disadvantage he gives up in almost every fight is not going to make his time at flyweight fun but it'll have to do for now. He needs to work on TDD and GnP defense quite a bit because I remember that's how Bedford beat him as well, albeit given he is much larger but still the path to victory seems certain when fighting Gaudinot. Maybe Darren Uyenoyama or Jose Maria for his next fight?

Hyun Gyu Lim - What a beast! This guy is one of the next big Korean stars for sure. So big and such powerful striking. If this guy's grappling is stellar he is gonna be a scary match up for anyone. Gunnar Nelson , Kelvin Gastelum , there are a lot of different guys you could give him.

Pascal Krauss - Viciously KO'd! Not a fun time I would assume. He still has some potential but not going to be fighting top guys anytime soon. You could have him fight James Head or Brian Ebersole maybe, he might be walking on thin ice with how jammed packed the WW division currently is.

Chico Camus - Came up big in his hometown, with Florian even going as far as saying the cheers from the crowd helped the judge score it in his favor He is scrappy as hell though and fights with Yaotzin Meza or Johnny Eduardo would be cool

Kyung Ho Kang - I don't think he should be cut yet, he arguably won that fight and has some solid TD's and pressure. A fight with someone like Vaughun Lee or Dustin Pague could work

Soa Palelei - HULK GAS Pretty brutal fight. I know he had a broken rib going into this fight so massive props for stepping up and who knows maybe that played a role with his cardio or something but he better fix what needs to be fixed or he won't last long. I think Geronimo Dos Santos or Derrick Lewis would be where he's at right now

Nikita Krylov - He absolutely threw that one away imo. He practically handed Palelei a dominant ground position and all he had to do was keep pressure on the cage, Soa was not going anywhere. Well what's done is done and he will either be cut or fight someone like Nandor Guelmino and then probably be cut

Al Iaqunita - Another guy who looked absolutely killer!! He beat up Ryan bad and surprised me with his near perfect TDD and the rest of his game. I think like Norman Parke or Leonardo Santos could be good fights

Ryan Couture - Unfortunately he will most likely be cut. Has looked pretty bad so far despite tough challenges and the relationship with his Father and the UFC certainly won't help things for him. If they end up keeping him it'll probably be for fighting a newcomer or someone like Cristiano Marcello

Magnus Cedenblad - Quick choke and I'm super impressed! Magnus called out Dylan Andrews which I wouldn't argue with but also a fight with Caio Magalhaes would be best imo.

Jared Hamman - Always a fun dude to watch but there is little doubt in my mind he's getting a pink slip. Too bad because he is tough as hell but just got ran over tonight. Not going to go over well after already losing 3/4 beforehand.

Goodnight, stay tight and don't let bad picks/bets at this event ruin your night!
Like it has for me

Post #1   9/1/13 4:27:41AM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,535-1,352
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Andrews would kill Cedenblad, I don't think he should even be in the UFC, same with Krylov and Palelei. They don't belong in the UFC at all. Maybe fillers in a Bellator Hw tournament but they're just not ready.

Post #2   9/1/13 6:12:50AM   

mcdonald_samuel7

Learning to Sprawl

mcdonald_samuel7 Avatar

Career:223-140
Chips:
I agree with you about Andrews, But dont count out Soa Palelei yet, hes a beast and his cardio is usually off the chain. I think that rib injury really took it out of him. I must admit i am prob a little biased as i also live in his home town of Perth, Australia But i just think he's really gonna show us what he's made of next fight, just like so many people do after their sloppy debut's.

Post #3   9/1/13 6:24:20AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i like some of those match ups davies !

some good ones that stick out to me are

vera vs barry- vera did look good with all that extra muscle but i dont think it really translated that well, he still has the frame of a lhw any way you look at it...the days are gone when he dominated hw's...they have decent gas tanks now. barry will be a fun fight on the feet.

i really want to see pettis vs aldo. i know tj grant deserves his shot but whenever there is potential for a champion vs champion fight they should make it....i also think pettis finishes aldo, he really looked awesome against bendo.

koch was dissapointing, but i think he gassed his legs out hard after going for that triangle in the first and never quite found his feet after that.

if pettis wasnt around then i would love to see mendes fight aldo again, but seeing as he is give him edgar or lamas, both great match ups.

i also like rothwell vs browne, or even barnett vs browne.

poirier vs guida

Post #4   9/1/13 7:25:43AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,119-599
Chips:
As much as everyone including myself wants to see Pettis vs Aldo, I think they should keep their respective divisions moving. FW and LW are considered to be the most stacked division in most peoples eyes. So let's give Pettis vs Grant a shot and Aldo vs Lamas the next shot at FW. They both were told that they would be given the next shot anyways. Providing both Aldo and Pettis successfully defend their titles I'd set up the Superfight at that point.

Somewhere in that mix throw Mendes vs Swanson for the next shot at the FW title.

Post #5   9/1/13 8:59:37AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
Scarface vs. Showtime.

Why not?

Post #6   9/1/13 10:04:42AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by Webbie

Scarface vs. Showtime.

Why not?

This is something we all have to see.

Book Aldo vs Pettis

Post #7   9/1/13 3:08:24PM   

RipVanWinkle

Learning to Sprawl

RipVanWinkle Avatar

Career:37-30
Chips:
Frank Mir has lost 3 in a row now. Maybe he'll be cut.

Post #8   9/1/13 7:44:58PM   

LooseCannon

Standup Guy

LooseCannon Avatar

Career:1,500-863
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Anthony Pettis - TJ Grant or Jose Aldo

Benson Henderson - Gray Maynard

Josh Barnett - Travis Browne

Frank Mir - Antonio Silva

Chad Mendes - Frankie Edgar

Clay Guida - Erik Koch

Ben Rothwell - Mitrione if he beats Schaub or Todd Duffee

Brandon Vera - Cut

Dustin Poirier - Winner of Lentz-Bermudez

Tim Elliott - John Lineker

Jamie Varner - Donald Cerrone

Post #9   9/1/13 8:05:36PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:715-434
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

Andrews would kill Cedenblad, I don't think he should even be in the UFC, same with Krylov and Palelei. They don't belong in the UFC at all. Maybe fillers in a Bellator Hw tournament but they're just not ready.

I'll take you for an AV bet if Andrews/Cedenblad happens. Andrews got lucky vs Papi Abedi, and Cedenblad has just the stifling style to beat him imo.

Post #10   9/1/13 8:06:45PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,099-661
Chips:

Posted by RipVanWinkle

He's 14-8 in the UFC.
3-3 with his 3 losses to 3 top 5 fighters, 2 former UFC Champions and the last Strikeforce champion.
Overall his last 3 fighters have a record of 61-8.
His 3 last wins are Big Nog, Nelson and Crocop.
He has the most UFC Heavyweight fights.
He has the most UFC Heavyweight wins.
He has the most UFC Heavyweight finishes and most submissions.
He's a former UFC Champion.
He's been fighting in the UFC since the 30's.
He has a fan base and isn't typically put in a list of boring fighters.
Has headlined multiple events.
Has won 3 SOTN awards.

For some reason something tells me Dana and the boys wouldn't cut him just because of a bad run against the best in the world.
He's a future HOF.

I think they'll give him Browne, Wedrum, Overeem or Bigfoot next and even with a loss to one of those guys he'd get a lower ranked guy after just to put him back in the win column.
To say he'll be cut is disrespectful to what he's done, his skills and what he's accomplished.
No way does he get cut after his recent performances to the best in the world.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #11   9/1/13 8:09:44PM   

RipVanWinkle

Learning to Sprawl

RipVanWinkle Avatar

Career:37-30
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by RipVanWinkle

He's 14-8 in the UFC.
3-3 with his 3 losses to 3 top 5 fighters, 2 former UFC Champions and the last Strikeforce champion.
Overall his last 3 fighters have a record of 61-8.
His 3 last wins are Big Nog, Nelson and Crocop.
He has the most UFC Heavyweight fights.
He has the most UFC Heavyweight wins.
He has the most UFC Heavyweight finishes and most submissions.
He's a former UFC Champion.
He's been fighting in the UFC since the 30's.
He has a fan base and isn't typically put in a list of boring fighters.
Has headlined multiple events.
Has won 3 SOTN awards.

For some reason something tells me Dana and the boys wouldn't cut him just because of a bad run against the best in the world.
He's a future HOF.

I think they'll give him Browne, Wedrum, Overeem or Bigfoot next and even with a loss to one of those guys he'd get a lower ranked guy after just to put him back in the win column.
To say he'll be cut is disrespectful to what he's done, his skills and what he's accomplished.
No way does he get cut after his recent performances to the best in the world.

Or maybe he won't get cut at all!

Post #12   9/1/13 8:23:44PM   

LooseCannon

Standup Guy

LooseCannon Avatar

Career:1,500-863
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Frank Mir definitely won't be cut. To quote the tweet Dana White sent immediately after the fight, "F**king ridiculous stoppage!!!! The guys with experience make mistakes. That guy had no business being in the Co Main event." He re-iterated further about it being an early stoppage throughout the press conference & I completely agree, though the outcome likely would not of changed. Either way Frank Mir will never be cut & will retire into a new position with the UFC, likely as a commentator as he was in the WEC (hopefully replacing Florian).

Last edited 9/1/13 8:44PM server time by loosecannon
Edit note/reason: *'s

Post #13   9/1/13 8:42:48PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,518
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I don't agree with the Al Iaquinta vs Leonardo Dos Santos match. Santos won his season of TUF Brazil and Iaquinta lost in the finale of his season and if history is correct, Santos might have a great UFC career and Iaquinta might be good but quite great.

Post #14   9/1/13 8:54:53PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,293-734
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

I don't agree with the Al Iaquinta vs Leonardo Dos Santos match. Santos won his season of TUF Brazil and Iaquinta lost in the finale of his season and if history is correct, Santos might have a great UFC career and Iaquinta might be good but quite great.

I fail to see why they shouldn't be matched up. That was a big win for Iaqunita who looked way better then he did on the show and has clearly improved. Santos won his season but imo could still use a solid test to see where he stands in the division and I think it would a challenge for both guys

Post #15   9/1/13 11:07:19PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2