Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Update on the Rampage accusations

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Mauro was Pride’s play-by-play announcer for several years and has a strong knowledge of how the company did business. He said there was a six-month period in Pride where fighters were offered bonuses if they lost via ref stoppage from strikes or a submission. The idea behind the bonus wasn’t to get fighters to take dives, but to entice them not to quit in order to make the fights more dramatic. The clause never served its intended purpose and that was it.

Click here for more details.

Post #1   6/13/07 10:03:29AM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
This makes sense, but its still dirty. It compromises the integrity of the fight and of the sport when you try to dictate the action in the ring. This type of bonus is to directly interfering with the match. A monetary reward for an exciting fight is one thing, but getting more money if you lose is dirty. The bonus specifically asks a fighter to put his career on the line and not tap for as little as 2K. Its one thing to not tap on a choke, but an arm bar or some other submission could result in a compound fracture or severe ligament damage. Any bonus for losing is dirty.

Fight of the night bonus is a much better way of rewarding effort and making fights exciting. There should never be a scenario where a fighter can make more money if he loses. What make fight of the night such a great idea is the other bonuses. Knockout of the night and submission of the night give dominant fighters an insentave to finish a fight quickly and not drag out a fight to try and get the fight of the night bonus.

Pride was horribly mismanaged and a part of me is glad that Pride is done. I knew that some Pride fights were works, but this is bad for MMA.

Post #2   6/13/07 12:41:37PM   

Primo

MMA Regular

Primo Avatar

Career:20-17
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
I totally disagree. Zuffa buying PRIDE was bad, enticing fighters to not tap or give up from strikes is not bad, it's a choice. It's not like they sent a yakuza hitman in there to wack him. What about Dana getting mad Diego is banging a ring card girl?? He already banged Rachelle Leah...that's great business??

Post #3   6/13/07 1:23:47PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Primo

I totally disagree. Zuffa buying PRIDE was bad, enticing fighters to not tap or give up from strikes is not bad, it's a choice. It's not like they sent a yakuza hitman in there to wack him. What about Dana getting mad Diego is banging a ring card girl?? He already banged Rachelle Leah...that's great business??

Rewarding losing with extra cash is bad. I don't see how you can say it isn't. That is idiotic.

I don't see how Dana's feelings about ring card girls getting slammed have anything to do with this. Maybe he feels that the ring card girls are his stable of personal sevice hoes. Maybe he thought Diego had hepatitis at the time? Maybe he is a huge hypocrite? It is not relevant.

Last edited 6/13/07 2:38PM server time by szucconi
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   6/13/07 2:19:21PM   

Canadian_MM_EH

Banned

Career:82-58
Chips:
Mauro may be right, but it doens't really matter. Pride was pretty dirty, they let there fighters juice and what not, plus the MOB was involved with Pride.

Post #5   6/13/07 2:49:56PM   

Brick

MMA Regular

Brick Avatar

Career:1,294-641
Camp: Dead Skin Mask
Chips:
Agree. No way that paying someone more to lose a fight than you pay them to win a fight is on the level. Yakuza FTW!

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #6   6/13/07 4:17:57PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by Primo

Posted by Brick

Agree. No way that paying someone more to lose a fight than you pay them to win a fight is on the level. Yakuza FTW!

Oh my... They are migrating from "the dog" in huge numbers! The median IQ just dropped 20 points on MMAPlayground as a whole.

Please, please, please...

Dont turn this into that God-forsaken place.

Post #7   6/13/07 5:07:09PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,902-1,070
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Primo

Wow! Not much else to say

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #8   6/13/07 5:37:26PM   

Albertan

Learning to Sprawl

Albertan Avatar

Career:1,757-1,130
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
Totally unfair statement they tested for illegal drugs the UFC chose to not even do that in events outside Nevada or california.

The UFC is worse because they chose not to test for anything Pride simply followed the law on illegal drugs.

Post #9   6/13/07 6:10:33PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I think some people are not thinking this through. this isn't a nutthugging defend your side to death issue. Really no issue should be IMO, which is why I don't like nuthugging. I'm a Dallas fan, and I'm not gonna say they were better than the Eagles last year, because they beat us twice. Yet the one person I know who is an eagles fan , would not do the same if the situation were reversed He is an eagles nutthugger, not an eagles fan to me. No one should ever defend something wrong for any reason. If Pride did something wrong, it's still wrong. If the UFC does something wrong it's still wrong. When someone points out something that Pride did wrong and your only answer is " Oh yeah, well the UFC did this wrong, so there" it really does not answer the FACT that Pride did something wrong. If the UFC does something wrong I say it's wrong, same with pride. Nutthugging is a disease! No one should defend injustice. This reminds me when OJ got away with it. I was at work, and one of my fellow employees( a good friend, and my girlfriends best friend) was black. She started jumping up and down with joy when the verdict was read. I actually was friends with her, and later when we were alone I asked why she was so happy that a murderer got away with it( she had admitted to me before that she believed he was obviously guilty) . She said white people had gotten away with so much bad stuff and now it was their turn. I was stunned. I asked her if a white man raped her, and got away with it, would she want a black man to get away with raping Lisa( my girlfriend, who was white) and she said of course not. Same principle, she should be wanting to both to be punished. 2 wrongs don't make a right, this isn't a us vs them issue. it's a right vs wrong issue. Anyway, it made her rethink her stance on OJ. The best thing about this site has been the small amount of nutthugging , but it still exist on both sides, and with certain fighter's. I think Fedor is the man, and I believe he still would have defeated Lindland, but he did cheat when he grabbed the ropes. I wouldn't even try to deny it. So please everyone, think about what your defending, before you type.If the UFC did this I would hammer them, just like I did when they gave Quarry a title shot. Right or wrong should decide all peoples decision making process, not a brand or fighter . Thanks

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   6/13/07 6:36:27PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I think some people are not thinking this through. this isn't a nutthugging defend your side to death issue. Really no issue should be IMO, which is why I don't like nuthugging. I'm a Dallas fan, and I'm not gonna say they were better than the Eagles last year, because they beat us twice. Yet the one person I know who is an eagles fan , would not do the same if the situation were reversed He is an eagles nutthugger, not an eagles fan to me. No one should ever defend something wrong for any reason. If Pride did something wrong, it's still wrong. If the UFC does something wrong it's still wrong. When someone points out something that Pride did wrong and your only answer is " Oh yeah, well the UFC did this wrong, so there" it really does not answer the FACT that Pride did something wrong. If the UFC does something wrong I say it's wrong, same with pride. Nutthugging is a disease! No one should defend injustice. This reminds me when OJ got away with it. I was at work, and one of my fellow employees( a good friend, and my girlfriends best friend) was black. She started jumping up and down with joy when the verdict was read. I actually was friends with her, and later when we were alone I asked why she was so happy that a murderer got away with it( she had admitted to me before that she believed he was obviously guilty) . She said white people had gotten away with so much bad stuff and now it was their turn. I was stunned. I asked her if a white man raped her, and got away with it, would she want a black man to get away with raping Lisa( my girlfriend, who was white) and she said of course not. Same principle, she should be wanting to both to be punished. 2 wrongs don't make a right, this isn't a us vs them issue. it's a right vs wrong issue. Anyway, it made her rethink her stance on OJ. The best thing about this site has been the small amount of nutthugging , but it still exist on both sides, and with certain fighter's. I think Fedor is the man, and I believe he still would have defeated Lindland, but he did cheat when he grabbed the ropes. I wouldn't even try to deny it. So please everyone, think about what your defending, before you type.If the UFC did this I would hammer them, just like I did when they gave Quarry a title shot. Right or wrong should decide all peoples decision making process, not a brand or fighter . Thanks

agreed. Nubby, you should read this and think about Tito Ortiz.

hippysmacker, as a Redskin fan I would like to hear your stance on why Michael Irvin is in the Hall of Fame and Art Monk is not. Right? Wrong? Are you going to hammer the selection board?

Post #11   6/13/07 6:47:57PM   

kerazzle

MMA Regular

kerazzle Avatar

Career:349-189
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
hppysmacker is pretty much dead on. When theres a mistake with Pride it does not mean that the UFC is perfect and better. They both have their ups and downs. Pride had some very odd ways of doing business.

Post #12   6/13/07 8:11:11PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,113-723
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:

Posted by szucconi

agreed. Nubby, you should read this and think about Tito Ortiz.

First of all sorry to get even more off subject, but i have wanted to say this for a long time

Since when has tito ever raped someone though. It honestly pisses me off that tito seems to be the only one people can bash on this site. Then anytime anyone stands up for him, that person is automatically labled a nutthugger. People here can make fun of his mexican background, his family (jenna), and try to cut his entire career down after losing to a top notch fighter (chuck). Just because the majority of people on this site dislike him, hes the only fighter that people can bash. If i made a game where you kicked GSP's head,and posted a link to it here, it would cause an uproar. The thread would be deleted within seconds. By that definition there are so many GSP nuthuggers that are never called out on their nutthuggery. St. Pierre lost to a less than top notch fighter and he's like a god to some people here, he can come out after a loss and take away from matt serra's win and everyone defended him. I was the only one who spoke out against him in the thread about him saying he didnt train for the Serra fight, and i get a warning about fighter bashing. Whereas when Tito tries to get some hype BEFORE a fight people can trash him way worse than what i said about GSP

The fact is that he is a fighter who got me into MMA, who has only lost to the best, who helped the sport grow, who is still helping the sport grow, who entertains me. If defending him because of those reasons, labels me as a nutthugger, then send me a pair of ass-less chaps, and find me a comfortable spot on Tito's sack

Post #13   6/13/07 8:11:21PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
Actually i think thgey should both be in. When Monk retired he was the all-time receptions leader. Add the fact that he was one of the better blocking receivers of his time, and it makes no sense to me. I think part of the problem is modern recievers are putting up such ridiculous numbers that some of the older guys aren't getting thier due. It's funny you should bring this up becuase when ESPN had their poll on veterans who should be in the Hall I voted for Rayfield Wright and Art Monk. Also, Irvin had such a big public persona( IE attention whore) on ESPN and when he was playing I think that helps him. I think he definitely deserves to be in, but I think that's why he got in so quick.iIve always wondered if maybe their is some behind the scenes stuff we don't know about Monk, but even if there was, i doubt it could be worse than all Irvin's off the field stuff. So yes, Art Monk is definitely a HOF'er in my book. Now back to the topic at hand

Last edited 6/13/07 9:25PM server time by hippysmacker

The Iron Code

Post #14   6/13/07 8:17:03PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
While I agree it is wrong to bash a fighter Lord_Lenny, he brings it on himself. He completely disrespects people and is often very inappropriate in his comments and or actions. Remember when he Flipped off Guy Mezger's corner or how about recently when Don Imus made some remarks that wheren't that bad but obviously offended some and Ortiz comes along and says quote: "He Will Be My Nappy Headed Ho," referring to Rashad. Tito Ortiz is a fighter and I try my hardest to respect him but you can't respect someone who is so blatantly rude.

Last edited 6/13/07 8:24PM server time by xthe_scottx

Post #15   6/13/07 8:23:39PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2