Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Abel Trujillo Didn’t Get the Win at UFC Fight Night 27, but He’s Going to Be Paid Like He Did

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
For all the talk surrounding the outstanding card that was UFC Fight Night 27 in Indianapolis on Wednesday night, some of the loudest dialogue surrounded a preliminary fight between Abel Trujillo of South Florida’s Blackzilian’s camp, and former Strikeforce slugger Roger Bowling.

Bowling and Trujillo kicked off the night’s action in a back-and-forth scrap that highlighted the toughness and grit of both fighters. As the second round came to a close, however, controversy enveloped the Bankers Life Fieldhouse and much debate across social media outlets ensued...

Full Story

Post #1   8/29/13 8:39:42AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Bullshit imo

Post #2   8/29/13 9:12:56AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
**New Reports Coming In**

Chael P. Sonnen just stated that he wished he had that "Ref" for the second Andy Silva fight.

Post #3   8/29/13 10:41:19AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,716-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not sure why he should be paid as though he won considering the whole blatant illegal knees thing. Rulebreaking shouldn't be rewarded.

Post #4   8/29/13 11:29:50AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bythar

Not sure why he should be paid as though he won considering the whole blatant illegal knees thing. Rulebreaking shouldn't be rewarded.

Dana said the second knee hit his shoulder, not his head. When I saw it live it looked illegal and after reviewing the replay from several angles my results were inconclusive. Either the ref, an arm, or Trujillo is in the way of a good angle, top down would be the only one that would reveal it clearly.

Post #5   8/29/13 11:58:06AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Bythar

Dana said the second knee hit his shoulder, not his head. When I saw it live it looked illegal and after reviewing the replay from several angles my results were inconclusive. Either the ref, an arm, or Trujillo is in the way of a good angle, top down would be the only one that would reveal it clearly.

Dana doesn't know what he's talking about. It definately didn't land on the shoulder.

Post #6   8/29/13 12:09:21PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:
You're probably right. I still can't clearly see where the knee landed, but his head jerked back much more from the second knee. You would expect a similar snap compared to the first knee if it was shoulder. Good gif

Post #7   8/29/13 12:19:52PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

**New Reports Coming In**

Chael P. Sonnen just stated that he wished he had that "Ref" for the second Andy Silva fight.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #8   8/29/13 12:24:10PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Bythar

Dana doesn't know what he's talking about. It definately didn't land on the shoulder.

That's 100% on the face. You can't see the impact, but you can see his head rocket backwards.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #9   8/29/13 1:23:58PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,546-1,579
Camp: country KO
Chips:
It's amazing how much more damage a knee does when a guy has one hand/knee down. looks more like the thigh to the face to me but it's pretty hard to tell.

Post #10   8/29/13 1:42:54PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
I still don't believe that second knee did nearly as much damage as Bowling acted like it did. It definitely caught him in the face a bit, but it didn't have much impact; more of a glancing blow from what I can tell. Either way, Bowling wasn't unconscious. If you're Bowling in that situation and you're in the UFC still searching for your first win, after most likely winning the first two rounds, you get back to your feet and plead with the referee to let the fight continue.

It seemed to me like as soon as Bowling knew the referee was stepping in he over-exaggerated the damage a bit, kind of like Gamburyan but not as bad.

I don't agree with Trujillo getting win money, but I can't understand why those knees aren't legal anyways. That needs to change.

Post #11   8/29/13 1:54:18PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Webbie

I still don't believe that second knee did nearly as much damage as Bowling acted like it did. It definitely caught him in the face a bit, but it didn't have much impact; more of a glancing blow from what I can tell. Either way, Bowling wasn't unconscious. If you're Bowling in that situation and you're in the UFC still searching for your first win, after most likely winning the first two rounds, you get back to your feet and plead with the referee to let the fight continue.

It seemed to me like as soon as Bowling knew the referee was stepping in he over-exaggerated the damage a bit, kind of like Gamburyan but not as bad.

I don't agree with Trujillo getting win money, but I can't understand why those knees aren't legal anyways. That needs to change.

I think it did hurt Bowling, but I also think its because his chin has been compromised so many times.

Knees/kicks on the ground can hurt you more because you don't have the option of falling over as easily. Standing, once the spine runs out of flextion, you get knocked over. On the mat you could be propped up on a knee and get killed, in theory. In practice, a professional athlete can take a hit much worse than you or I and not be seriously injured.

That's neither here nor there, but point is, the strike hit the head, no doubt.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #12   8/29/13 2:23:05PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Knees/kicks on the ground can hurt you more because you don't have the option of falling over as easily. Standing, once the spine runs out of flextion, you get knocked over. On the mat you could be propped up on a knee and get killed, in theory. In practice, a professional athlete can take a hit much worse than you or I and not be seriously injured.

While that may be true, a lot of grounded knee strikes were thrown not only in Japan in PRIDE and other organizations, but also up in Canada in UCC/TKO, and no one ever got seriously damaged or injured, at least not any worse than any other knee strike or kick would've done.

But yeah, this is pretty off topic. On topic: I don't think the second knee landed enough to warrant a stoppage. I think that referee did a terrible job all night long.

Last edited 8/29/13 2:39PM server time by Webbie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   8/29/13 2:37:50PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
I have to respectfully disagree with whomever says the second knee wasnt illegal. The first could go either way and i only say that because I myself couldnt actually see the point of contact. With that being said, I do still think that it was illegal. Trujillo wasn't aiming he was just throwing. The second one CLEARLY got Bowling in the face.

Trujillo being paid like he won is complete utter bullshit.
Dana wants him to be popular SO DAMN BAD you can tell.

My conclusions

Dana is smoking crack

Post #14   8/29/13 2:47:16PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Webbie

While that may be true, a lot of grounded knee strikes were thrown not only in Japan in PRIDE and other organizations, but also up in Canada in UCC/TKO, and no one ever got seriously damaged or injured, at least not any worse than any other knee strike or kick would've done.

But yeah, this is pretty off topic. On topic: I don't think the second knee landed enough to warrant a stoppage. I think that referee did a terrible job all night long.

Depends on what you mean by serious injured, but I'd have to disagree. I'm pro-grounded knees but anti-grounded kicks because it's really the soccer kicks that could potentially kill your ass.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #15   8/29/13 2:59:05PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4