Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Biggest HW fights of all time?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,519-865
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Carwin/Lesnar was pretty huge at the time

No one was able to last a round with Shane and Lesnar was coming off a huge layoff. Plus this was when Lesnar looked like he could be champ for a long time.

Post #16   8/28/13 12:58:40PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Carwin/Lesnar was pretty huge at the time

No one was able to last a round with Shane and Lesnar was coming off a huge layoff. Plus this was when Lesnar looked like he could be champ for a long time.

Plus that was a title unification match! That shit was epic.

I'd have to say though that Fedor-Cro Cop was the biggest fight yet though. Watching Fedor was an electrifying experience in those Pride heydays, and Cro Cop has always been a beast.

Couture-Sylvia was huge too.... man I am getting all nostalgic now!

Post #17   8/28/13 2:29:02PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Fedor/Sylvia
Fedor/AA

were pretty big as well

Post #18   8/28/13 3:14:28PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,987-1,634
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think it's Mark Coleman vs Maurice Smith from UFC 14, because it was the first time that a pure striker defeated a wrestler in MMA.

Post #19   8/29/13 3:20:46PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,612-939
Chips:
I liked the hype for Brock v Shane Carwin. Brock is the biggest heavy weight ever in UFC history EVER except... CARWIN IS EVEN BIGGERER. but who is biggerest of all?

Cut to Joe Rogan 'hands the size of lunch boxes!!!!'

Post #20   8/29/13 3:28:57PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,300-892
Chips:
Kind of surpsied at so many Lesnar fights being listed. I rank a couple of fight Lesnar was involved in, but not all.

The Mir vs Lesnar fight was a rematch from a fight Mir won originally, though he was taking punishment from Lesnar. Both fighters were considered top 5 at the time and coming in hot on win streaks (2 for brock, 3 for Mir anyways anyways), it headlined the early July UFC 100 show and had the belt on the line. It was a big deal and Brock looked good beating down Mir and caused a scene afterwards. A pretty big fight to say the least.

Cain vs Brock was big also I thought. Brock was still on his streak though didn't look good against Carwin at all until Carwin gassed. The first was brutal but the second was an easy and quick payday comeback. Cain though was the best HW in the world, not everyone thought it then, I did, Fedor just lost and Cain was the new best replacing the old best it is how it appeared to me. Brock had tools to be good, but he had no chance of ever living up to the media and fan hype machine created around him. He was going to get beat up again and this guy was better at it and not gonna stop unlike Carwin. The PPV generated a lot of hype, had multiple sportscenter segments leading up to it along with the usual countdown and MMA shows. The fight was not boring or disappointing, Brock did get beat up again. He never really got hit all that significantly by any opponents before he went poop guts, but after coming back all three of his opponents were superior, bigger hitters and he had no answer for it. With the reemergence of his health problems later, the Velasquez fight should of been his last fight. The Overeem fight was for the auto $400K, ppv points and coors light $. Velasquez is the man.

Randy vs Lesnar is lower on my list. It was big in some senses sure, hype was huge, lot of buys, old legend vs pro wrestler super star turned 2-1 MMA fighter, and for the belt to boot. But the UFC side of the HW division in those days was a little suspect and sometimes hit or miss still, it's thin now of course, but better then it was 4 or 5 years ago. Ol' Randy was still pretty damn good but always ready for a loss I thought and the physical mismatches here definitely outdid the talent mismatch. But Randy did good, Brock couldn't wrestle with him but he got the club to head and did right to finish still. At that point I remember thinking Brock really fit in with a few other past HW UFC champs as lacking overall significance or recognition, at least in MMA and not celebrity terms. A Sonnen level line cutting for the title shot in 2008 as well when Mir or Big Nog should of been fighting Randy instead of each other, but like I said, UFC was super weak at HW then. They didn't want to pay Sylvia or AA so they went and fought Fedor, who together with Barnett, Werdum, Overeem, Rothwell, and Nelson, were a bunch of well established top names they were not in business with in those times.

For me, fights like Fedor vs Hendo, Cain vs JDS I, Fedor vs Sylvia, Mir vs Sylvia and Crocop vs Wanderlei were bigger then Carwin or Couture vs Lesnar. The closest fight Brock ever came to getting me to buy in to his hype was the 2nd Mir fight, his best fight ever.

Post #21   8/30/13 1:57:16PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
gotta be cain velasquez vs JDS 1...although the fight was short and the finish not that great...i still consider this the biggest mma heavyweight fight i have witnessed. firstly the hype both of these guys had coming in was huge. i remember the build up to it was crazy and the ufc had just signed with showtime i think ? and that was a massive deal at the time.

plus even now they are still clearly the number 1 and 2 hw's out there and have been for a while now.

number 3 with these guys will be right up there too !!

Post #22   8/31/13 9:03:24AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
My top three live heavyweight events

1. Lesnar vs Mir rematch. It was huge deal
2. Couture vs big nog. UFC vs pride match that came to be

3. Jds vs Velasquez rematch.

Post #23   9/7/13 9:05:24PM