Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Ben Askren: Bellator 'doing me a favor' if it lets me go to the UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren insists he wasn't the least bit surprised to learn that his boss, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney, might not be hard at work trying to figure out how to retain his services now that his contract is up.

Link

Post #1   8/23/13 1:06:46PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
"Honestly, I think it could be a ploy on their part to get the UFC to make a lower offer, so when they go to match it's not as hard," said Askren, who is ranked No. 8 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA welterweight rankings.

This is the only sense I can make of the situation, but it doesn't really matter to me as long as he ends up in the UFC. I know a lot of people don't enjoy watching him fight because he's not always exciting, but he's been dominant enough in Bellator that I've become fully interested in finding out how he compares to the top welterweights in the world.

Last edited 8/23/13 1:16PM server time by Webbie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   8/23/13 1:15:52PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It wouldn't surprise me if the UFC didn't want him. They no longer care about finding out which fighters are the best in the world. They only care about the $$$, and no matter how dominant Askren is, his style won't bring in numbers.

Post #3   8/23/13 2:07:03PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-44

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,363-876
Chips:
Would love to see how Askren fares in the UFC! Is he the wrestle-beast Bellator made him out to be or will he crumble under the superior competition the UFC has to offer?

Post #4   8/23/13 2:28:41PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

It wouldn't surprise me if the UFC didn't want him. They no longer care about finding out which fighters are the best in the world. They only care about the $$$, and no matter how dominant Askren is, his style won't bring in numbers.

Hmm by that logic Mayweather wouldn't be appealing

I wouldn't have thought his style brought in numbers but the mere fact he's the P4P number 1, his dominance brings in numbers.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #5   8/23/13 2:29:51PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Chips:
He is a wrestling styled fighter, no question...however he has been getting better at the rest of his game. His last two title defenses he has won via stoppage...I absolutely want to see him in the UFC, I just don't want his debut to be with a banger like Lawler...start him with a guy like Story, or Ellenberger.

Post #6   8/23/13 2:37:57PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,217-1,243
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I was surprised to hear Dana say they would talk to him. It seems to contradict everything he says about the type of fighter he wants. I am curious, though, to see how he'd do in the UFC.

Post #7   8/23/13 2:41:20PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by FastKnockout

I wouldn't have thought his style brought in numbers but the mere fact he's the P4P number 1, his dominance brings in numbers.

Mayweather is #1 for sure but a lot of the numbers he pulls in are due to people tuning for the chance to see him lose. They love to hate him. Askren isn't the heel Mayweather is.

Post #8   8/23/13 2:45:51PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,441-827
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by jjeans

Posted by FastKnockout

Mayweather is #1 for sure but a lot of the numbers he pulls in are due to people tuning for the chance to see him lose. They love to hate him. Askren isn't the heel Mayweather is.

He's on his way though! Quite a few boos followed by Ben calling the crowd a bunch of commies.

I love it when fighters embrace the heel. If JJ stopped pretending to be a nice guy he would probably be my favorite fighter.

Post #9   8/23/13 4:07:46PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I see one of two paths Ben Askren would follow in the UFC: First, there is the path of Fitch. Fitch had a 45-51 career record wrestling in college, and with little more than those skills he went 14-3-1 in the UFC. Askren however is one of the most dominant NCAA Division 1 wrestlers in history. As in two time NCAA champ (runner up freshman and sophomore year), and third on the all times pin list. I could see him having similar success.

Second, there is the path of Jacob Volkmann. Volkmann went 0-2 at 170 in the UFC. He then went 5-0 at 155, showing a grappling superiority, outwrestling people like bitches. But after a 1-2 streak he was cut with a 6-4 record overall. (And just for historical context, Askren beat Volkmann in a wrestling match in college)

Which outcome would be more likely for Askren? An indisputably good run/career in the UFC, or just treading water a little above .500?

Post #10   8/23/13 4:18:14PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think the UFC should sign him. Take some star power away from bellator

Post #11   8/23/13 4:59:16PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Quite a few boos followed by Ben calling the crowd a bunch of commies.

If the glove fits...................................

Post #12   8/23/13 7:01:12PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Quite a few boos followed by Ben calling the crowd a bunch of commies.

If the glove fits...................................

you won't be a dad

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #13   8/24/13 12:19:28AM