Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Michael McDonald: Pickett made me question my KO power

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
There were times while Michael McDonald was punching the living bejesus out of Brad Pickett that he wondered if his knockout power had mysteriously disappeared.

Link

Post #1   8/18/13 5:04:38PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Pickets chin rivals the hulks! He was hit with some huge bombs an just wouldn't go away!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   8/18/13 6:11:56PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
An absolute beating. I think that Teixeira / Maldonado is more severe, but Pickett ate a mouthful from the hardest puncher in the division and just kept coming.

Also, another parallel to Teixeira / Maldonado - each guy has an awesome attitude. McDonald is one of the most likeable kids in the UFC - grounded, confident, sincere, and analytical. Barao might be his bane, but I'm not counting him out if he can make the adjustments he's pointed out.

Last edited 8/18/13 7:25PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   8/18/13 7:23:04PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Pickett can take a shot
McDonald punches were harder than wineland

Post #4   8/18/13 8:31:40PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by isk
Barao might be his bane, but I'm not counting him out if he can make the adjustments he's pointed out.

I think in 2 years, McDonald will beat Barao

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #5   8/18/13 10:17:24PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
Totally possible. One of McDonald's main issues was relying too much on his hands against a long kickboxer. He's got decent kicks, but I don't know if they'll ever be better than his hands. What he may be able to do is make them potent enough to be worth throwing and defending more often, so that Barao's less certain of where the strikes are coming from. I think all McDonald needs to do is touch Barao's chin a few times, and that can be set up more easily with greater striking variety.

Another is adapting to Barao's punching style. It's effective, but unorthodox, so it can be hard to see them coming. McDonald's got a solid chin, but his crisp counter-punching was nullified in the 1st fight because he couldn't deflect or dodge Barao's punches coming from odd angles. If he can hang in the pocket, mitigate or avoid most of the damage, and utilize his excellent counter-punching, he's just a flurry away from a TKO victory.

The third's the ground game. The triangle choke on Pickett was super sweet, just took full advantage of a narrow window and rolled with it well when Pickett attempted to defend. That said, Barao is a monster grappler himself, and if he gets on top, I'm not as confident of McDonald's chances. Perhaps 2 years will change that.

Either way, there are only a few fighters I see able to hang with McDonald at 135, and I'd still call him the favorite against most. Really excited to see what this kid does.

Post #6   8/19/13 8:47:47AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,612-939
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
This article got the names wrong. Anyone weighing under 150 lbs will struggle with KO power. However, when Ubereem hits you with a knee you die. How in God's name did Browne take that beating?!?!?!?!

Post #7   8/19/13 8:48:17AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

This article got the names wrong. Anyone weighing under 150 lbs will struggle with KO power. However, when Ubereem hits you with a knee you die. How in God's name did Browne take that beating?!?!?!?!

That was really impressive.

I will say though, it kinda seemed like Overeem was going through the motions on the finish and follow up strikes. He assumes that when he hits someone they will quit. He also seemed like he expected a stoppage.

Credit goes to Browne for refusing to give up and to Mario for being an outstanding referee.

Last edited 8/19/13 9:30AM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   8/19/13 9:29:46AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605
That was really impressive.

I will say though, it kinda seemed like Overeem was going through the motions on the finish and follow up strikes. He assumes that when he hits someone they will quit. He also seemed like he expected a stoppage.

Credit goes to Browne for refusing to give up and to Mario for being an outstanding referee.

Yep. More specifically, Overeem's series of punches once Browne went down were quick and powerful, but they were poorly aimed. He used a whole lot of energy for strikes that were almost entirely blocked. If he had taken the time to aim properly and connect with the chin, it would've been a much better night for him.

For examples of what I'm describing, check what Aldo did against Gamburyan, or Weidman against Munoz. Landed a solid, stunning shot, then followed up with massive punches under / around the arm and straight to the chin. That's how to put 'em away.

Post #9   8/19/13 11:20:52AM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,300-892
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

I got McDonald over Faber or Cruz. He'll get the superfigh with Barao again soon enough.

Post #10   8/19/13 12:46:40PM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
McDonald is clearly one for the future.

Barao is awesome, no doubt he is skilled.
Call me crazy, despite all the injuries Cruz has had and all the rehabs he has gone through, i believe he will come back early next year and derail Barao.

Post #11   8/19/13 5:14:49PM