Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Silva still wants superfights with GSP and Jones

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,016-1,193
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Anderson Silva's focus is on Chris Weidman, but the former UFC champion confirms his plans to do the "fight everybody is waiting for."

Link

Post #1   8/7/13 11:22:34AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
What a coincidence... I still want the superfights with GSP and Jones as well

Post #2   8/7/13 11:50:18AM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
Pound for pound means nothing unless they fight thats why theres an absolute divisions in bjj Know yourself

Last edited 8/7/13 1:05PM server time by submissionartist1
Edit note/reason: theres no sure thing in fighting

Post #3   8/7/13 1:02:56PM   

ry_dawg63

MMA Regular

ry_dawg63 Avatar

Career:584-378
Chips:
he needs to focus on Chris. he still has a very dangerous opponent in front of him. And if he looks past him he might never see a super fight. Plus I don't see GSP ever having the courage to go up and face Anderson. I'm pulling for Hendricks so we might actually get to see a super fight some day.

Post #4   8/7/13 1:14:29PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,045-608
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by ry_dawg63

he needs to focus on Chris. he still has a very dangerous opponent in front of him. And if he looks past him he might never see a super fight. Plus I don't see GSP ever having the courage to go up and face Anderson. I'm pulling for Hendricks so we might actually get to see a super fight some day.

I doubt GSP is afraid to fight anyone. His decision is solely a business one. He is the UFC's biggest PPV draw and the welterweight champ with a couple fighters left to fight. GSP knows he can continue to make big $$ at his current weight without risking going up in weight to fight a bigger fighter. If he fights Silva he may have trouble getting back down to WW, the extra muscle may mess up his fighting style/quickness etc., a major loss could cause psychological issues (confidence/afraid to get KOd), and fighting a bigger man could increase the possibility of injuries. It takes a lot more pressur on the knees and joints taking down a bigger man then one your own size. Why should he risk everything he has going at this point. A loss, even one in a higher weight class or super fight still hurts a fighters reputation and could affect his endorsements and PPV numbers.

Post #5   8/7/13 1:50:33PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 35-47

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,449-941
Chips:
Spider ruined it. Super fights aren't shit if there not champ vs champ. Weidman should be talking about superfights now

Post #6   8/7/13 2:47:20PM   

ry_dawg63

MMA Regular

ry_dawg63 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by ry_dawg63

I doubt GSP is afraid to fight anyone. His decision is solely a business one. He is the UFC's biggest PPV draw and the welterweight champ with a couple fighters left to fight. GSP knows he can continue to make big $$ at his current weight without risking going up in weight to fight a bigger fighter. If he fights Silva he may have trouble getting back down to WW, the extra muscle may mess up his fighting style/quickness etc., a major loss could cause psychological issues (confidence/afraid to get KOd), and fighting a bigger man could increase the possibility of injuries. It takes a lot more pressur on the knees and joints taking down a bigger man then one your own size. Why should he risk everything he has going at this point. A loss, even one in a higher weight class or super fight still hurts a fighters reputation and could affect his endorsements and PPV numbers.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying that BS at all. business decision or not hes scared to face Silva. And GSP has psychological issues already. ever since Matt Serra knocked him out he's been a boring safe fighter. Do you realize how much GSP would make if he had the balls to fight saliva. And even if he losted it wouldn't jeopardize his Walter weight title.not like Anderson would take his title and then compete at 170 s. So it sounds like a win win situation too me. He's scared. He was supposed to after his fight with shields. But since Jake lasted all 5 and even had GSP running from him in the 5th, GSP said maybe he need to go back and work on things before he faced Anderson. He even went as far as to say he would be more likely to go down and fight at 155 then to go up. That he was a small. LoL if that's the case why couldn't he even make 170''s when he fought Diaz? He full of crap that's why. He's a good size WW. He walks Around at like 195. Yea he closer to making 155 alright. if we're going to have any chance at all to see you super fight it's going to be between Jon Jones and Cane. Mark my words. I believe bones has the guts to do it

Post #7   8/7/13 3:10:55PM   

bakersfield6969

Learning to Sprawl

bakersfield6969 Avatar

Career:1,171-690
Camp: Frontline
Chips:

Posted by ry_dawg63

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by ry_dawg63

I'm sorry but I'm not buying that BS at all. business decision or not hes scared to face Silva. And GSP has psychological issues already. ever since Matt Serra knocked him out he's been a boring safe fighter. Do you realize how much GSP would make if he had the balls to fight saliva. And even if he losted it wouldn't jeopardize his Walter weight title.not like Anderson would take his title and then compete at 170 s. So it sounds like a win win situation too me. He's scared. He was supposed to after his fight with shields. But since Jake lasted all 5 and even had GSP running from him in the 5th, GSP said maybe he need to go back and work on things before he faced Anderson. He even went as far as to say he would be more likely to go down and fight at 155 then to go up. That he was a small. LoL if that's the case why couldn't he even make 170''s when he fought Diaz? He full of crap that's why. He's a good size WW. He walks Around at like 195. Yea he closer to making 155 alright. if we're going to have any chance at all to see you super fight it's going to be between Jon Jones and Cane. Mark my words. I believe bones has the guts to do it

WHAT CAN YOU PLEASE SPEAK IN ENGLISH?

Post #8   8/7/13 3:29:02PM   

ry_dawg63

MMA Regular

ry_dawg63 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bakersfield6969

Posted by ry_dawg63

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by ry_dawg63

WHAT CAN YOU PLEASE SPEAK IN ENGLISH?

first off I'm typing not speaking. secondly you're from Bakersfield bro that's probably why you don't understand anything. everyone knows GSP is scared. We will never see him in a super fight unless its against the 155lb champ. And the logic behind him waiting longer for business reasons is flawed. Ask Anderson Silva how waiting on the super fight worked out for him?

Post #9   8/7/13 5:33:24PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by ry_dawg63

first off I'm typing not speaking. secondly you're from Bakersfield bro that's probably why you don't understand anything. everyone knows GSP is scared. We will never see him in a super fight unless its against the 155lb champ. And the logic behind him waiting longer for business reasons is flawed. Ask Anderson Silva how waiting on the super fight worked out for him?

It is not flawed business plan at all. If he fights Anderson then what??? his career is over, there are no bigger fights and really people will lose interest even if he wins because no one he faces will have the pedigree Anderson had. personally I would save it for my last fight ever in the Octagon... right now he makes close 3-5 million a fight. Why get one big pay day when you can get a bunch of big pay days followed by a huge retirement fight payday. also Firas has even go record saying if He fights Anderson is going to be his last fight ever .

Post #10   8/7/13 6:28:47PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,260-1,272
Chips:
No professional fighter is afraid to fight any other professional fighter.

He might be afraid to lose, but that's in many cases a good thing. A fighter with no fear of losing fights like Anderson did vs Weidman and how GSP did vs Serra.

The same reason Anderson is looking for Superfights is the same reason GSP wants to wait.

The window for Anderson participating in one is closing, he's not all that young anymore and has only got a few fights left in him. He wants to make as much money as possible before hanging them up.

GSP will want to do the same but he still has massive drawing power in PPV sales and has fights left at his natural weight before deciding which division to go to next.

As someone said earlier in the thread, whether GSP wins or loses there isn't really anywhere to go after a superfight so it makes sense to arrange those when he feels his career is coming to an end.

Post #11   8/7/13 8:05:41PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

Spider ruined it. Super fights aren't shit if there not champ vs champ. Weidman should be talking about superfights now

So if Anderson loses to Weidman again and then GSP ends up losing to Hendricks, you can honestly say that you'd have no interest whatsoever in watching a showdown between GSP and Anderson Silva?

IDGAF what happens to either fighter... I'd be excited as fuck for that fight, no matter the circumstances.

Last edited 8/8/13 5:22PM server time by Webbie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   8/8/13 5:21:17PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,209-849
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Honestly, there is nothing about the Silva vs Weidman fight that makes me not want to still see Silva fight against GSP or Jones.

Last edited 8/8/13 5:34PM server time by GDPofMPG
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   8/8/13 5:33:56PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
when Anderson signs paperwork, I'll believe it. Until then he is selling wolf tickets and everyone is buying it

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   8/8/13 11:35:57PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

when Anderson signs paperwork, I'll believe it. Until then he is selling wolf tickets and everyone is buying it

At this point I don't think anyone really believes the fight is going to happen.

Post #15   8/8/13 11:48:39PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2