Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Bellator 97 Results: Michael Chandler and Ben Askren Defend Belts, King Mo Earns Title Shot

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Bellator 97 took place Wednesday night at the Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, N.M., just outside of Albuquerque. It proved to be one of the biggest nights in the company’s history.

Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler, and welterweight titleholder Ben Askren both successfully defended their belts, while Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal won the promotion’s abbreviated Summer Series Light Heavyweight Tournament final...

Full Story

Post #1   8/1/13 9:10:57AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Chandler is an absolute monster. Damn that guy is fast.
I actually enjoyed Askren's fight, nothing flashy but the way he doesn't even seem to care what's going on around him and just moves to another dominant position is impressive. My biggest complaint with him is that he looks like he's going out of his way not to sub anyone. He just uses them to keep the other guy guessing and then releases them with very little resistance.
King Shmo couldn't have had an easier time with his takedowns, Noe borderline fell over with almost no fight on some of those.

Post #2   8/1/13 9:23:16AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I watched th Askren fight. If he was more well rounded in striking and submission skills the fight would have been ove rin round one. He doesnt give enough effort in his punches and he seemed to give up easily on his sub attempts. Dont get me wrong, the guy is a gifted wrestler, but once he runs into some real competition that could hurt him. Eventually he will fight someone that can stop take downs and then hes going to be in trouble. I think if he improves his striking and rounds out his other skills he could be a top 5 WW guy in all of MMA.

Post #3   8/1/13 9:41:14AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Chips:
Askren consistently gets great positions, gets subs locked in, but the guy just doesn't quite know how to get the finish yet. Yeah he's finished his last two fights, but both could have ended much sooner if he were just a decent finisher. If he learns to get the finish right when he smells blood he's going to be really scary, but until then I have a hard time thinking he'd beat anyone in the top 10-15. There are definitely signs of improvement, though, and hopefully he takes that next step.

Post #4   8/1/13 11:22:59AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't like askren
The shit he says like he did when he was getting
Interviewed saying there may be communists in the crowd
Pissed me off.

Post #5   8/1/13 11:42:49AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Snap
Crackle
POP!!

Yo New Mexico, the next time you in the presence of greatness, don't H-A-T-E.....A-p-p-reci-a-t-e.

(((WW GOAT)))

Last edited 8/1/13 11:49AM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   8/1/13 11:44:02AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:
The only ASSkren fight ill watch is if he fights GSP. I'dove to see GSP shut down his wrestling and tool him for 5 rounds

Post #7   8/1/13 11:54:51AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,419-820
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Funky Ben was amazing. I've never seen a wrestler school someone like that. He was going for a guillotine and all of a sudden he's on the dude's back. I've never seen such flawless transitions. Personally, I was blown away by his performance and to me, getting a fighter to break like that and just give up is more impressive than a KO or submission. For the life of me I can't recall another in shape, top prospect be so disheartened as to give up in a championship fight.

Post #8   8/1/13 12:07:08PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,113-786
Chips:
might as well re-post this here:

Pretty entertaining card. Spike.com prelims to the main card, lots of good fights.

MMA is so much better when there is more then default UFC to be complacent with.

Can't wait to see Jenkins and Brooks again. Hot prospects, both looked solid enough last night. Lima vs Silva was a good fight. Silva vs Leone is a nice matchup though after last night I'm leaning Silva. Pitbull is awesome, nothing else needs to be said, very good stoppage, Downing was gonna get retired from life if he ate another one of those combos. Was very impressed with both Martinez and Minakov. Both of those dudes through and landed a lot of heavy leather and kept trucking, but liked the way both of them boxed, clean for big guys. Minakov vs Volkov is gonna be a classic BFC Russian showdown, they need to get it booked quick though like this fall, Volkov has already been too inactive. Nice to see Mo actually fight serious, Noe got it bad from him, I was wondering if he went the long slow beatdown route to get back at him for retiring Sorbal even though Mo would of been fighting him anyways, "Nobody beats up by buddy but me, buddy!" Mo will get the title pretty soon. Askren, that's great that your wrestling might be the some of the best in the sport, I want more. That knee to start the 3rd was the one Koreshkov needed to KO Ben with to make this card perfect. Micheal Chandler is the #2 LW in the world behind only Gilbert Melendez.

Post #9   8/1/13 12:55:28PM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,004-584
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Funky Ben was amazing. I've never seen a wrestler school someone like that. He was going for a guillotine and all of a sudden he's on the dude's back. I've never seen such flawless transitions. Personally, I was blown away by his performance and to me, getting a fighter to break like that and just give up is more impressive than a KO or submission. For the life of me I can't recall another in shape, top prospect be so disheartened as to give up in a championship fight.

This. Wrestling is a big part of the sport. Fighters who want to become elite fighters better start learning it and make it a priority. No other one dimensional fighter dominates their opponents like Asskren. That said he is fighting in Bellator and we all know what happened to Hector when he moved up to the UFC and top competition.

Post #10   8/1/13 1:47:11PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,113-786
Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by BillsNewAccount

This. Wrestling is a big part of the sport. Fighters who want to become elite fighters better start learning it and make it a priority. No other one dimensional fighter dominates their opponents like Asskren. That said he is fighting in Bellator and we all know what happened to Hector when he moved up to the UFC and top competition.

One pounding down of a guy MW's were ducking, and two close fights whose winner is argued either way? A lot of people have Hector 3-0 on their personal score cards. I always find people trying to point to Hecotr for why they think UFC>MMA to be making an intellectually lazy or dishonest arguments. Nobody said he was gonna be p4p king or anything, just that he was a top talent, which was and is obvious.

Last edited 8/1/13 2:01PM server time by GDPofMPG
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   8/1/13 1:59:55PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:484-292
Chips:
Hector was P4P best can-crusher in MMA. If you had a weakness expect it to be exploited violently.

Post #12   8/1/13 2:16:02PM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:731-525
Camp: TKO
Chips:
apparently Askren is a free agent now

Post #13   8/1/13 4:43:56PM   

allaf

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1-2
Chips:

Posted by ChrisSabal

Really ? I would love to see him in the UFC.
I was hoping to see him get KOed cause he is a complete ass, but he just blew me away with his flawless transitions to mount or to the back.

I just wonder if he could do that to a top 10 guy in the UFC, i kind of think he can defenitly do it.

Post #14   8/1/13 6:11:08PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,694-1,543
Chips:

Posted by allaf

Posted by ChrisSabal

Really ? I would love to see him in the UFC.
I was hoping to see him get KOed cause he is a complete ass, but he just blew me away with his flawless transitions to mount or to the back.

I just wonder if he could do that to a top 10 guy in the UFC, i kind of think he can defenitly do it.

I'd love to see him in the UFC too. Bellator already locked up Chandler for the next few years, I don't want that to happen to Askren too. He's just not being challenged in Bellator. Same with Chandler unfortunately.

Post #15   8/2/13 1:34:42AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2