Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tate: No way in hell I'd let Winslow ref me again

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

The moment after the stoppage, you can see Meisha's eyes which were clear, and you could tell that she wasn't wobbly or off-balance.

Tate was laying on the ground after that elbow hit her, but no, she wasn't wobbly or off-balance at all

Seriously though, I know that elbow didn't land 100%, but those knees did land, and you can't say "she wasn't wobbly or off-balance" if she was laying on the mat.

If Big John would've stopped the fight at that point nobody would've said anything.

Also, Tate knows she has no control over who refs her fights, so I'd LMFAO if she gets Winslow again in her next fight. What will her excuse be about Winslow after Rousey breaks her arm this time?

Last edited 7/25/13 3:43PM server time by Webbie
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #16   7/25/13 3:39:49PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,851-901
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
Defending Winslow as a referee calls into question everything else you say.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1604337-kim-winslow-perfects-the-art-of-too-much-refereeing-during-tate-vs-zingano
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/6/4/3063656/ufc-bantamweight-john-albert-discusses-kim-winslow-referee
http://www.chicagonow.com/mma-disputed/2011/02/kim-winslow-a-huge-risk-in-the-cage/

Her incompetence is well-documented, but I'm not sure why you'd even need to do so. She's makes multiple errors in judgement in almost every event in which she refs.

Also, having your opponent land consecutive strikes is not a valid reason to end a contest...which again is not a reason to stop a fight.

Tate was laying on the ground after that elbow hit her, but no, she wasn't wobbly or off-balance at all

Well, now I'm convinced you aren't even thinking of the same fight. Tate doesn't lay on the ground. The closest she comes to that is when she goes to her knees and arms...which once again is not a valid reason for a stoppage.

Last edited 7/25/13 3:51PM server time by OnyxShadow
3 total post edits

Post #17   7/25/13 3:47:42PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,141-803
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Defending Winslow as a referee calls into question everything else you say.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1604337-kim-winslow-perfects-the-art-of-too-much-refereeing-during-tate-vs-zingano
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/6/4/3063656/ufc-bantamweight-john-albert-discusses-kim-winslow-referee
http://www.chicagonow.com/mma-disputed/2011/02/kim-winslow-a-huge-risk-in-the-cage/

Her incompetence is well-documented, but I'm not sure why you'd even need to do so. She's makes multiple errors in judgement in almost every event in which she refs.

Also, having your opponent land consecutive strikes is not a valid reason to end a contest.

Well, now I'm convinced you aren't even thinking of the same fight. Tate doesn't lay on the ground. The closest she comes to that is when she goes to her knees and arms.

I don't think many are clamoring to declare Kim is good ref, people are simply pointing out Tate lost by getting smashed in the face until she fell over and Kim did good on her by performing her job and stopping the fight once that happened.

Also, having your opponent land consecutive strikes is a valid reason to end a contest, it is how many stoppages by strikes occur. She didn't intelligently defend herself and took a large array of powerful shots to the head until she dropped to all fours, just like how many fights have been ended.

Last edited 7/25/13 3:55PM server time by GDPofMPG

Post #18   7/25/13 3:54:45PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Well, now I'm convinced you aren't even thinking of the same fight. Tate doesn't lay on the ground. The closest she comes to that is when she goes to her knees and arms...which once again is not a valid reason for a stoppage.

Seriously? Okay then, by your logic...

You said "she wasn't wobbly or off-balance at all."

Sounds like you aren't thinking of the same fight, buddy.

Bottom line: Tate got smashed and deserved to lose that fight. She has no one to blame but herself. Blaming the referee (no matter who it was) for her loss just makes her look even worse. She needs to learn to keep her mouth shut and to become a better fighter.

Last edited 7/25/13 4:36PM server time by Webbie
2 total post edits

Post #19   7/25/13 4:35:18PM   

steveishere

Learning to Sprawl

Career:9-3
Chips:
If you fall to your hands and knees after taking several unanswered shots to the face you cannot really be surprised when the fight gets stopped.

Post #20   7/25/13 5:55:17PM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Career:1,849-994
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Regardless of what people think of this stoppage anyone who thinks Winslow is even remotely competant ref needs to watch more of the fights she's done. She is without a doubt the worst ref in MMA, and it has nothing to do with her being a woman, it's because she sucks!!! She's put fighters in danger on several occasions that i've seen and goes from early stoppages to waaaay late ones from fight to fight.

Post #21   7/25/13 6:06:17PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
ROusey: Kim is welcome to ref me anytime.

Post #22   7/25/13 7:03:13PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Chieftan1997

Regardless of what people think of this stoppage anyone who thinks Winslow is even remotely competant ref needs to watch more of the fights she's done. She is without a doubt the worst ref in MMA, and it has nothing to do with her being a woman, it's because she sucks!!! She's put fighters in danger on several occasions that i've seen and goes from early stoppages to waaaay late ones from fight to fight.

I'm not saying Winslow is a great referee, I just think that it's a little ridiculous for Tate to put all of the blame for her loss to Zingano on Winslow. It's like she's trying to make everyone believe that had there been a different referee in there she would've won the fight. She lost the fight because she was just standing there getting destroyed and not doing anything about it. It's just frustrating to me to hear fighters making excuses about their losses. If you can't acknowledge why you were unable to win you'll never progress as a fighter.

Post #23   7/25/13 9:37:29PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,232-1,201
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well, after watching the full fight again, it was an early stoppage. Tate was getting beat up pretty good, but Kim shouldn't have stopped it after Tate got hit with that elbow. It was a glancing blow, and Meisha was shooting in after she partially deflected it. Zingano would more than likely have kept bashing Meisha, but she may have survived the round.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #24   7/25/13 10:15:12PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:
Opinions = assholes.

Post #25   7/25/13 10:30:07PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,851-901
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
I don't think we're even debating the same thing.

The truth is that almost every stoppage that isn't the result of a fighter being either completely unconscious or perfectly fine is likely to have some controversy. The referee has to subjectively choose the precise moment when he/she believes a fighter needs to be saved from further punishment.

I'm in the camp that wants to give a fighter ever opportunity to fight through it. That's why I will miss Josh Rosenthal so much. Others prefer refs that will step in much earlier so as to prevent possible damage. Again, its a subjective thing so there's really no definitive correct answer.

Winslow is a bad referee for many reasons. One of these reasons is that she's ludicrously inconsistent with the point at which she ends a contest. As another guy said, its often very early or very late. This is hardly her only fault. In that same ROUND that Winslow had the questionable stoppage, she probably stood the two fighters up prematurely. Winslow's just bad, and I can understand why a fighter would get vocal about not wanting her in the same ring when his/her career is on the line.

Last edited 7/26/13 1:02AM server time by OnyxShadow

Post #26   7/26/13 12:55:39AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-792
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
This stoppage was just fine.

Tate was taking an getting her ass ragdolled by those knees, had she not fallen down, or that elbow not connected so flush, I think the fight would have lasted a bit longer.

BUT. She did get hit hard with a damn good elbow and she did fall down. So good fair stoppage IMO

Post #27   7/26/13 2:18:09AM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

I don't think we're even debating the same thing.

The truth is that almost every stoppage that isn't the result of a fighter being either completely unconscious or perfectly fine is likely to have some controversy. The referee has to subjectively choose the precise moment when he/she believes a fighter needs to be saved from further punishment.

I'm in the camp that wants to give a fighter ever opportunity to fight through it. That's why I will miss Josh Rosenthal so much. Others prefer refs that will step in much earlier so as to prevent possible damage. Again, its a subjective thing so there's really no definitive correct answer.

Yeah, I don't really have anything to say about Kim Winslow as a referee, other than that I agree with her stoppage in the Tate/Zingano fight.

The only point I really wanted to make is that it's a little ridiculous for Tate to come out and disrespect Winslow when she was just doing her job. Plenty of other referees would've stopped the fight at that point, and it's not like Tate can blame Winslow for those knees she was eating at the end of the fight. Tate should be stepping up and taking responsibility for the loss and doing everything she can to improve herself as a fighter as opposed to blaming the referee for the loss.

But that's just my two cents.

Post #28   7/26/13 2:50:13AM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Career:1,849-994
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I wasn't even commenting on the stoppage but Yeah opinions=assholes and your's stinks more than others!!!! No need to make things personal. And you were defending Winslow as a competent ref in your first statement!!! "lol @ everyone who's complaining about Kim Winslow. She's not a bad ref by any means, yet she seems to be getting the Steve Mazzagatti treatment these days." Then you told people to grow up. That's a quote from your first statement.
Not everyone has to agree with you that's what these forums are for!! You shouldn't contradict yourself in your statements, you later stated you weren't commenting on her ability. This is why I don't comment on forums people lack of maturity and respect annoys me. So I'm done on this one!!!

Last edited 7/26/13 10:18AM server time by chieftan1997
2 total post edits

Post #29   7/26/13 9:42:40AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,455-838
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think they should tweak the rules so the ref only stops a fight when someone is out cold bc the corner always has the option of throwing in the towel.

Post #30   7/26/13 9:47:24AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3