Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Recently Retired Fighter Brian Stann Takes Over Joe Rogan’s Duties at UFC 163

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Recently retired UFC fighter Brian Stann is already edging his way into the broadcast booth, taking over color commentary duties for Joe Rogan at UFC 163.

Link

Post #1   7/24/13 1:38:12AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:
I'm a big fan of Rogan but this will be a nice change. I like Stann on the mic.

Post #2   7/24/13 1:42:39AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Chips:
It will be refreshing!

Post #3   7/24/13 2:12:12AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:
I wonder when someone other than Bruce Buffer will introduce

Post #4   7/24/13 4:23:21AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I think we'll have quite a wait for that. Bruce Buffer is an arrogant, diligent extrovert powered by the world's smallest nuclear reactor. I see him doing this for at least another 10 years - or he'll have a disastrous public meltdown and explode, taking out 4 city blocks in the process.

On the topic of the OP, I like Joe Rogan and all, I think he's a complementary partner for Goldberg, but even I get tired of his catchphrases.

--Wrestlers are the best athletes to transition to MMA because of work ethic
--*Something* has to be done about accidental groin strikes - compression shorts, etc.
--Jab is the most underrated strike in MMA

It's all solid info that neophytes should hear, but man. I think Stann's got potential somewhere in the commentator/analyst field. While I think Stann will do just fine, my gut impression is that he's a little too nice to be a compelling color guy. I think he's superb in the studio with a brash, outspoken partner like Chael Sonnen. Stann is smart, experienced, and offers a striker's perspective on the sport. Plus, and if we're really getting into all the media details here, he's too handsome to not be seen on camera for most of his time on the mic.

To me this is yet another reason why Dana White needs to make up with Pat Miletich, who should already not only be in the UFC Hall of Fame but could also capably fill in as a color commentator. But I digress.

Last edited 7/24/13 7:16AM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #5   7/24/13 7:09:23AM   

scpd400

MMA Regular

scpd400 Avatar

Career:1,735-1,203
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
I like it. Rogan says some things during a fight and I'm wondering at the time if he is watching the same fight as I am. Stann is great at the Mic.

Post #6   7/24/13 7:49:19AM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
I'd be a lot happier with a Stann and Rogan team.

Post #7   7/24/13 8:05:42AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,351-1,264
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Stann will be great

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #8   7/24/13 8:18:24AM   

Kevro

MMA Regular

Kevro Avatar

Career:798-582
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
lol what the fuck people? id rather have rogan and stann than goldberg and anyone.

Post #9   7/24/13 9:02:52AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,477-1,379
Chips:
I may be in the minority but I don't really like former fighters calling fights unless they've been retired long enough that they have no personal relationships or training history with any of the fighters whose fights they are calling.

Very few of them can hide their obvious biases, and I think the main voice calling a fight should be as impartial as possible.

I'll definitely give Stann a chance, but I hope he's a lot better than fighters like Florian and Mir, who I think are 2 of the worst commentators the UFC has ever used.

Post #10   7/24/13 9:16:46AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,746-1,009
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

I may be in the minority but I don't really like former fighters calling fights unless they've been retired long enough that they have no personal relationships or training history with any of the fighters whose fights they are calling.

Very few of them can hide their obvious biases, and I think the main voice calling a fight should be as impartial as possible.

I'll definitely give Stann a chance, but I hope he's a lot better than fighters like Florian and Mir, who I think are 2 of the worst commentators the UFC has ever used.

but even Rogan has his bias for Bravo students.

I think I'd rather have Joe in the booth just bc he has a very good understanding of BJJ and I'm not sure if Stann understands some of the subtleties of the more complex moves.

I imagine someone hitting a calf slicer or reverse triangle in Brazil and hearing nothing but crickets from Stann and Goldberg.

Post #11   7/24/13 10:46:52AM   

GDPofMPG

Fighters>Promoters

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,422-962
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Any move that doesn't involve getting rid of Mike Goldberg is a terrible decision. That guy is embarrassingly bad at what he does.

Post #12   7/24/13 12:05:55PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,843-1,756
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by isk

I think we'll have quite a wait for that. Bruce Buffer is an arrogant, diligent extrovert powered by the world's smallest nuclear reactor. I see him doing this for at least another 10 years - or he'll have a disastrous public meltdown and explode, taking out 4 city blocks in the process.

On the topic of the OP, I like Joe Rogan and all, I think he's a complementary partner for Goldberg, but even I get tired of his catchphrases.

--Wrestlers are the best athletes to transition to MMA because of work ethic
--*Something* has to be done about accidental groin strikes - compression shorts, etc.
--Jab is the most underrated strike in MMA

It's all solid info that neophytes should hear, but man. I think Stann's got potential somewhere in the commentator/analyst field. While I think Stann will do just fine, my gut impression is that he's a little too nice to be a compelling color guy. I think he's superb in the studio with a brash, outspoken partner like Chael Sonnen. Stann is smart, experienced, and offers a striker's perspective on the sport. Plus, and if we're really getting into all the media details here, he's too handsome to not be seen on camera for most of his time on the mic. To me this is yet another reason why Dana White needs to make up with Pat Miletich, who should already not only be in the UFC Hall of Fame but could also capably fill in as a color commentator. But I digress.

Why do you think Buffer is arrogant? I've always thought so too but other than my gut feeling I've seen no proof. Not trying to be a jerk I'm just curious.

Last edited 7/24/13 1:17PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   7/24/13 1:16:59PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:506-312
Chips:
Joe Rogan has P4P best reactions to the unexpected, his voice is perfect for the job. Brian in my opinion just doesn't have that flavor just vanilla like Goldie.

I would actually like Brian and Kenny to tag up.

Post #14   7/24/13 1:42:49PM   

Webbie

MMA Sensei

Webbie Avatar

Career:155-103
Chips:
Joe Rogan > all when it comes to MMA commentating.

I have nothing against Stann, but I'd rather be listening to Rogan.

Post #15   7/24/13 5:00:13PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2