Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Fight Night 28 headliner Glover Teixeira: 'I'm ready to fight for the title'

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
While he's had just four fights in the UFC, Glover Teixeira's incredible power and craft submission skills have already made him a top contender in the promotion's light-heavyweight division. While the humble 33-year-old hasn't yet pressed the issue, he wants to make sure everyone understands it's not because he's not ready for the challenge...

Full Story

Post #1   7/21/13 2:15:23PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
This guy has such a good attitude. Humble but confident, respectful but assertive, technical but aggressive. Presuming he beats Ryan Bader in the fashion I expect him to, I really want him to get the next title shot. It's somewhat contingent on how Lyoto Machida does against Phil Davis, right, and while I think a Teixeira / Machida fight would be worth watching, ideally I want to see it after Teixeira fights Jones. Glover's got the skill to work his way back to title contention after a loss, for sure, but why risk it when he's already 33 and putting on stellar performances right now?

Post #2   7/21/13 3:05:56PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Glover is ready and if he leap frogs over two guys that have already lost to the Champ then I would understand, this would make it 5 in a row and it's not like the LHW Division is super stacked.

Post #3   7/21/13 3:48:36PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Beat another contender first.

I would't care to see this until he'd been tested against Machida or Rashad first.

Post #4   7/21/13 4:07:28PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I would't care to see this until he'd been tested against Machida or Rashad first.

beating Rampage and Bader would give him 2 top 10 wins, and a top 15 in Te Huna over a 5 fight win streak in the UFC. That is a better resume than what Sonnen, Belfort, Machida, and Rampage had going into their respective title fights with Jones (not to mention what goes on in other divisions)

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #5   7/21/13 11:45:48PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,147-613
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

beating Rampage and Bader would give him 2 top 10 wins, and a top 15 in Te Huna over a 5 fight win streak in the UFC. That is a better resume than what Sonnen, Belfort, Machida, and Rampage had going into their respective title fights with Jones (not to mention what goes on in other divisions)

Bubs. If he wins impressively over Bader I'd like to see him get the next shot after Gus. I'm assuming Bones will handle Gus with relative ease, but I hope not.

After Bones beats Gus that'll leave Glover and Machida as the 2 front runners for a title shot. That's also assuming Machida beats Phil Davis as well. If Davis pulls the upset that puts a whole new twist on things.

So if Glover and Machida both win it would kind of be a shame to see that fight before they get to fight Bones.

Besides that there's really not a whole lot left at LHW with Rashad losing to Bones already and to Lil Nog, and Hendo losing to Rashad didn't help maters for himself.

Jones competition as of now.
1. Gustafsson(scheduled)
2. Glover(assuming he beats Bader, and I think he'll finish him)
3. Machida(providing he gets past Davis, which I could see this fight being competitive)
4. Phil Davis (if he beats Machida then why not)
5. Rashad (not interested in this rematch)
6. Hendo ( I just don't see Hendo being able to do much against Bones)

I'm done rambling.

Post #6   7/22/13 1:20:00AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Yep. I'll put it another way: If Jon Jones beats Alexander Gustafsson, the only two fights I'm super interested in for him are Anderson Silva and Glover Teixeira in that order. I would happily watch the Glover fight, but the Spider supermatch would get all the money in my pocket. Even after the loss to Weidman.

Last edited 7/22/13 4:27AM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   7/22/13 1:52:23AM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
I seriously believe that Teixeira is the only threat in that division to Jones. Anyone else in the top 5 are just card fillers, they can't hang with Jones. Glover on the other hand can, IMO !!!

Post #8   7/22/13 11:34:37AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

Except Machida, Belfort, and Rampage were all former champions who have a history of competing at the highest levels of the sport. Sonnen was just a freak show that occurred due to a strange set of circumstances.

Glover, while an awesome fighter who I really like, has only beaten a past his prime Rampage on his way out of the UFC. Beating Bader wouldn't impress me all that much either because Bader has always been overrated in my opinion and was never really a contender.

I guess I'm fine with the shot though, since there is no one else. But I'd prefer to see him fight Machida or Rashad first.

Post #9   7/22/13 11:48:37PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,113-786
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Glover is a viable contender at 205 as it stands today already. A win over Bader simply maintains that designation for him, a guy simply no one should have any reason to be surprised about if he is the next challenger or steps in as in injury replacement for Gus.

Post #10   7/23/13 12:30:32PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

Except Machida, Belfort, and Rampage were all former champions who have a history of competing at the highest levels of the sport. Sonnen was just a freak show that occurred due to a strange set of circumstances.

Glover, while an awesome fighter who I really like, has only beaten a past his prime Rampage on his way out of the UFC. Beating Bader wouldn't impress me all that much either because Bader has always been overrated in my opinion and was never really a contender.

I guess I'm fine with the shot though, since there is no one else. But I'd prefer to see him fight Machida or Rashad first.

the time difference between Glover and Jones fighting Rampage is pretty close so if you count it for one, you can count it for the other. It looked like he mailed it in during the title fight so I don't see a difference.

Belfort was a champion like 8 years ago and via a technicality (cut). imo he was as much of a champion as Condit was in the UFC.

A Rashad fight I can agree with but not Machida. With the top of the division nearly cleared out, why eliminate one of the only 2 top contenders?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   7/23/13 6:43:36PM