Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White talks to Maggie Gray on SI Now about fight fixing

Print  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
After the first round of shots were fired over on ESPN 2, Dana White took Sports Illustrated up on an invitation to appear on their SI Now show with Maggie Gray, and get to the heart of the fight fixing issue... sort of.

In an admirable move Sports Illustrated looked to confront their most recent and harshest current critic, Dana White, head on over his dislike of a recent round table discussion on the possibility that UFC 162 was fixed. SI did give Dana his say, but the conversation more or less devolved into bickering over who watched who's product and whether or not SI's panel was generally discussing fight fixing or whether or not the UFC main event was fixed.

LINK

Post #1   7/19/13 5:44:47PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Chips:
Not often do I agree with Dana, but seeing the original video and this one. I agree and glad Dana put her in her place.

Post #2   7/19/13 5:46:08PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Chips:
I love how she was trying to defend the show, and Dana destroys her. SI should have just apologized for the segment, and moved on.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   7/19/13 6:32:33PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Maggie has a point if it's just people sitting around talking in their free time. Whatever, it's their choice of leisure and that's totally fine.

If they're in the context of professional journalism, they absolutely have an obligation to research before public discussion. If they don't, it's no longer journalism, but sensationalist rumor-mongering.

Watch the fight beforehand, bring in a couple experts, and call up some sources, then do the show. This is shit I learned in high school.

Post #4   7/19/13 8:40:59PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by isk

Maggie has a point if it's just people sitting around talking in their free time. Whatever, it's their choice of leisure and that's totally fine.

If they're in the context of professional journalism, they absolutely have an obligation to research before public discussion. If they don't, it's no longer journalism, but sensationalist rumor-mongering.

Watch the fight beforehand, bring in a couple experts, and call up some sources, then do the show. This is shit I learned in high school.

But you can't have a show called "Sports Illustrated NOW" and fill the panel with people that don't know sports. That would be like me putting on scrubs and standing around a hospital, but I'm not a doctor. People are going to expect you know what you're talking about and that your word is well-informed, even if just an opinion.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #5   7/20/13 3:04:25PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or a misunderstanding somewhere.

The sources and experts in this case would be UFC reps, independent analysts, physicians, etc. who understand MMA. They'd get sports, and they'd be relevant to the discussion and the show.

Maybe it's just the "but" at the start that's throwing me off, because I think we agree?

Post #6   7/20/13 8:17:10PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Sorry, yes we're in agreement and I meant to quote the first sentence, not the others.

I'm saying that a show like that *cant* be all bullshit that no one takes seriously because it's under the banner of SI. Anything on that show will be taken seriously, and that casual air you mentioned isn't really an option because of the brand.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #7   7/20/13 9:27:45PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:
As I said in the props note, all good - appreciate ya clarifying!

Post #8   7/21/13 3:05:21AM