Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

LeBron voted best athlete

Print  
Is LeBron the best athelete
Yes 4 24%
No (someone else is) 11 65%
Don King 2 12%
Posted By Message

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It just got me thinking, if LeBron why and if not LeBron why not and who instead?
link

Post #1   7/18/13 9:24:35AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Chips:
I started writing a reply but then decided to drop it as I noted all the awards are American Based.

Nonetheless no LeBron is not the "American" Athelete of the year - Ashton Eaton is.

LeBron is playing a team based game. There is 4 other people on the court with him. He might have taken a gold at the olympics but in a sport which outside of the US is no competitive.

Try competing in 10 events in 2 days and winning 3 of them. Try breaking a world record during the trials.

The stuff Ashton did was on a whole different level, LeBron might be as well but his popularity gave him a massive edge over guys like Ashton.

Last edited 7/18/13 10:28AM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #2   7/18/13 10:24:01AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

I started writing a reply but then decided to drop it as I noted all the awards are American Based.

Nonetheless no LeBron is not the "American" Athelete of the year - Ashton Eaton is.

LeBron is playing a team based game. There is 4 other people on the court with him. He might have taken a gold at the olympics but in a sport which outside of the US is no competitive.

Try competing in 10 events in 2 days and winning 3 of them. Try breaking a world record during the trials.

The stuff Ashton did was on a whole different level, LeBron might be as well but his popularity gave him a massive edge over guys like Ashton.

So an Athlete can only be someone who is in an individual sport such as track and field?

And they had Best International Athlete and it went to Usain Bolt

Last edited 7/18/13 10:34AM server time by shawn91111

Post #3   7/18/13 10:29:50AM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:738-530
Camp: TKO
Chips:
the problem with the ESPY's is that it is voted by fans.

Post #4   7/18/13 11:35:36AM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by jjeans

So an Athlete can only be someone who is in an individual sport such as track and field?

No I never stated an athlete is only a person who plays individual sports.

I saw - which is why I dropped my original reply breaking down categories such as biggest upset. Clearly the awards unless stated are for Northern American happenings.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Post #5   7/18/13 11:39:29AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:488-293
Chips:
Personally I thought All-Day had the best year, but I didn't vote.

Post #6   7/18/13 12:25:57PM   

GDPofMPG

MMA Sensei

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:1,130-798
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Not that I disagree with you, but if you've learned anything while being an MMA fan it's that making money is way more important then being the best or even good at something.

Last edited 7/18/13 5:40PM server time by GDPofMPG

Post #7   7/18/13 5:38:47PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
LeBUM James??

I personally sent him an invite to UFC 162. And had he not been a no-show, I would have BEAT HIS ASS and put the picture up on Twitter, for proof for the lawsuit....you've been warned partNA.

Jamesy is good at a "Sport" my 8 year old niece has already mastered in the driveway....

Last edited 7/19/13 2:14AM server time by chael_sonnen

Post #8   7/19/13 2:13:15AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by jjeans

No I never stated an athlete is only a person who plays individual sports.

I saw - which is why I dropped my original reply breaking down categories such as biggest upset. Clearly the awards unless stated are for Northern American happenings.

no but you did knock LBJ because he plays a team game.

btw what do you expect from ESPN hosting an awards show in America for Americans? This isn't any different than the "MMA awards" which is basically limited to UFC fighters

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   7/19/13 9:51:34AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Chips:
Espy is a popularity contest. Doesn't mean shit

Post #10   7/19/13 2:48:11PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Eaton was an Oregon Duck

Post #11   7/19/13 3:00:50PM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:
@KyleNoke: How does mayweather win fighter of the year when he spent half of 2012 in prison for domestic abuse and only fought once this year

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Post #12   7/19/13 5:26:07PM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

btw what do you expect from ESPN hosting an awards show in America for Americans? This isn't any different than the "MMA awards" which is basically limited to UFC fighters

I did and I stand by that. He's playing in a successful team not a team which is challenging him. It's the same reason I believe Ronaldo is better than Messi. Neither have tested themselves in bad clubs but Ronaldo is portugese. There international game plan is if you have the ball, you're not following the gameplan, pass it to Ronaldo. He passes it to you, pass it back to him; and surprisingly the tactic does work! This is an incredible rare thing to see in team based sports.

As for part 2. I did not know that until I researched it further, hence why I dropped my original reply. When you see a title saying "x is voted best athlete" it doesn't always register that its country specific.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Post #13   7/19/13 5:36:29PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Bubbles

I did and I stand by that. He's playing in a successful team not a team which is challenging him. It's the same reason I believe Ronaldo is better than Messi. Neither have tested themselves in bad clubs but Ronaldo is portugese. There international game plan is if you have the ball, you're not following the gameplan, pass it to Ronaldo. He passes it to you, pass it back to him; and surprisingly the tactic does work! This is an incredible rare thing to see in team based sports.

As for part 2. I did not know that until I researched it further, hence why I dropped my original reply. When you see a title saying "x is voted best athlete" it doesn't always register that its country specific.

Have you followed Lebron's career? 95% of his Cleveland teams were horrible especially his 06-07 NBA finals team. His current Heat team, Wade is a shell of his former prime self and Bosh has turned in Rasheed Wallace 2.0. And I dislike Lebron but the success of his teams is because of him, his last year in Cleveland was 61 wins, the following year without him they won 19 games.

Last edited 7/19/13 6:16PM server time by shawn91111

Post #14   7/19/13 6:13:49PM