Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

TJ Grant Claims He *Wasn’t* Paid Off by the UFC, So Let’s All Stop Talking About That, Okay?

Print  
What do you think about the situation ?
Conspiracy Theory on UFC & TJ 13 54%
Real Injury 8 33%
Don King had a hand in this 3 13%
Posted By Message

LuckyCharms

Standup Guy

LuckyCharms Avatar

Career:502-385
Chips:
Judging from the immediate reaction to last night’s news that TJ Grant has withdrawn from his title fight against Benson Henderson, a lot of you seem to feel that Grant’s injury is somewhat less than legitimate. As the conspiracy theory goes, the UFC recognized that Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis would do much better business than Henderson vs. TJ Grant, and paid off Grant to fake an injury. (Who knows, maybe Pettis’s knee injury was bullshit as well?)

So let’s pump the brakes on this speculation right now. According to TJ Grant last night, the lightweight contender is recovering from a concussion suffered while grappling — an invisible injury, but still a real injury — and the UFC did not, and could not, pay him to give up his title shot. Okay? Can we all move on with our lives now? Oh, if only.

L I N K

Post #1   7/13/13 1:04:42PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,351-1,379
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
A lot of money will allow even a classy guy like Grant to shut his mouth and cash a check. Can't blame the guy, we all gotta pay bills.

Post #2   7/13/13 1:56:41PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,180-704
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"The MRI has come back clean" Grants words.

The fight is 7 weeks away meaning I'm pretty sure Medically he'd have been cleared. And it's not like Bendo will be throwing Heavy leather or that the news would have gotten to Bendo.

I mean the old chutebox team used to KO each other all the time right?

The fights 7 weeks away. Either TJ's being ridiculously cautious even though this is literally the opportunity of his life that might now have slipped away or something's going on.

Also getting KO'd by some dude during BJJ but not in any professional MMA match in 26 fights include a fight against Hendricks.

Something really doesn't add up.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #3   7/13/13 2:56:06PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:1,117-581
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Real injury.

TJ who? Bring on the "Showtime" kick!

Post #4   7/13/13 3:08:45PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,075-626
Chips:
that proves it! I'm so glad it only took 2 tweets to put this hole thing to bed!

Post #5   7/13/13 3:23:54PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:506-309
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

The fight is 7 weeks away meaning I'm pretty sure Medically he'd have been cleared. And it's not like Bendo will be throwing Heavy leather or that the news would have gotten to Bendo.

The fights 7 weeks away. Either TJ's being ridiculously cautious even though this is literally the opportunity of his life that might now have slipped away or something's going on.

Also getting KO'd by some dude during BJJ but not in any professional MMA match in 26 fights include a fight against Hendricks.

Did it say he was ko'd? I mean you don't have to be KO'd to receive a concussion, maybe he was grappling with a guy who was much bigger then him and got thrown wrong on his head? Maybe Dana has a mole in his camp that got the orders to take Grant out?

Post #6   7/13/13 3:28:37PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,595-910
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Posted by jjeans

Did it say he was ko'd? I mean you don't have to be KO'd to receive a concussion, maybe he was grappling with a guy who was much bigger then him and got thrown wrong on his head? Maybe Dana has a mole in his camp that got the orders to take Grant out?

No more bjj with Big Country

Post #7   7/13/13 5:38:01PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,695-1,709
Chips:
Did anyone expect him to say anything else?

Post #8   7/13/13 7:19:30PM   

LooseCannon

Standup Guy

LooseCannon Avatar

Career:1,719-985
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Usually when theres an injury they announce it, then a few days later announce the replacement. This is just obvious, they should've at least given us the run around.

Post #9   7/13/13 11:56:37PM   

MIDDLEEASY

Learning to Sprawl

MIDDLEEASY Avatar

Career:8-6
Chips:
Weak TJ

Post #10   7/14/13 1:57:27AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,542-1,345